Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sleeping pad - horizontal vs. vertical baffles

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Sleeping pad - horizontal vs. vertical baffles

Postby GregMiller » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:34 pm

davebks wrote:I'd definitely try some out. I found that the big agnes pad was nice but I rolled off of it a lot. the tubes were too big for me.
The Exped mats were the best.
I got the exped downmat 7 wide and its the best mat I have ever used. I brought it to Nepal and Peru and was toasty warm the whole time.
I also use it here in Colorado.
And the chair kit is bomber. You can have a full recliner or just the chair but the 2+ inch loft makes it a nice wide comfy chair.
Highly recommend.

I liked the vertical tubes but smaller tubes, not 4 large ones.

I use my big agnes pad with the thermarest chair kit, and I love it - It's ridiculously comfy, and decently lightweight and durable.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby kara » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:57 pm

wildlobo71 wrote:
...I have noticed (as have my camp-mates) that it's damn squeaky when you roll or adjust on it. Still I sleep better on it than any other pad I carry, except for the inflatable twin mattress that fits in the back of my Jeep.

The Air Core's not so squeaky when you slide it in the BA bag sleeve. I've been lazy on a couple of occasions and neglected to do so and the sounds were AWFUL. Since I have a BA sleeping bag the answer is simple: don't be lazy and just wrassle the darn pad into the darn sleeve. But it actually is a bit of an issue for those w/o BA bags--something to consider.

I'm a figure-4 sleeper and I'm usually ok with the vertical baffles on my Air Core. When I let the leg down though (and am just on my side), I actually do feel like the baffles are just a skotch too big. I would definitely be interested in the Q-Core for that reason. But in general, Big Agnes gets a big thumbs-up as a company all-around!

Sounds like you've got the right idea in just heading to REI and givin' 'em all a lay. Err...
Mountains have a way of dealing with overconfidence. --Hermann Buhl

Postby bob863 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:46 pm

Sleeping pad??? Who needs a sleeping pad? .....just kidding, I've been using a Thermarest Z-Pad for over 10 years...no problem sleeping..

Previous