Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sleeping pad - horizontal vs. vertical baffles

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Sleeping pad - horizontal vs. vertical baffles

Postby taylorbm » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:55 pm

Kind of a random question but do any of you have a preference on horizontal vs. vertical baffles on your sleeping pad? I'm planning on buying a new pad here soon (mine is ~15yrs old without a baffling system) and would like to hear your thoughts/experiences regarding baffling orientation. I'm a side sleeper and, as such, vertical baffles concern me a bit.

Ultimately I may have to go down to REI and set a few up.
--
Brandon

Re: Sleeping pad - horizontal vs. vertical baffles

Postby Johnson » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:36 pm

Depending on what you are looking for with weight, I like the neoair. The vertical baffles on the insulated air core caused me problems when not used in conjunction with a Big Agnes bag and its integrated sleeve. My friend unclegar used his Big Agnes with the quilted baffles and said it worked well. If weight isn't an issue, that looks like a nice pad.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby GregMiller » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:36 pm

Definitely go to REI (or whatever other gear store works, but REI has them all) and try them out. And definitely let air out of them when trying them - REI likes to keep them fully inflated, which is not the best for sleeping on.

Personally, I have a Big Agnes (insulated air core) pad, with vertical baffles. When sleeping on my back it's great - it fully supports my back, and packs down quite nicely. However, every time I've tried side sleeping I've ended up losing feeling in my arm. I probably need to have it inflated differently for that, though.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby jsdratm » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:49 pm

Johnson wrote:Depending on what you are looking for with weight, I like the neoair. The vertical baffles on the insulated air core caused me problems when not used in conjunction with a Big Agnes bag and its integrated sleeve. My friend unclegar used his Big Agnes with the quilted baffles and said it worked well. If weight isn't an issue, that looks like a nice pad.

I'm also a fan of the neoair. It takes a bit of work to blow it up (especially at high altitude), but I can sleep on my side or back in total comfort. It packs light and has worked out really well for me. Next week I'll be using it for a five-night backpacking trip.

Postby forbins_mtn » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:33 pm

i sleep like a baby on my big agnes air core. i'm getting better sleep on my wilderness weekends than in my bed lately. hmmm......

Postby wildlobo71 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:47 pm

forbins_mtn wrote:i sleep like a baby on my big agnes air core. i'm getting better sleep on my wilderness weekends than in my bed lately. hmmm......

Agree, however I have noticed (as have my camp-mates) that it's damn squeaky when you roll or adjust on it. Still I sleep better on it than any other pad I carry, except for the inflatable twin mattress that fits in the back of my Jeep.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby jdorje » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:51 pm

taylorbm wrote:I'm a side sleeper and, as such, vertical baffles concern me a bit.

Only on 14ers.com...
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby shredthegnar10 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:51 am

jdorje wrote:
taylorbm wrote:I'm a side sleeper and, as such, vertical baffles concern me a bit.

Only on 14ers.com...

First world problem?
There's a fine line between being a badass and being a dumbass.

ACONCAGUA STYLE

Postby RoanMtnMan » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:15 am

jdorje wrote:

Only on 14ers.com...

I enjoyed that as well.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby mtndude3737 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:01 am

I have slept on almost every version of the Thermarests, and done so in snow caves, bivy sacks, desert, and mountains. I sleep on my side and seem to be fine on the Thermarest. I like the compactness, light weight, ease of inflation, and decent comfort. Good insulation value too, depending on the model. Personally I don't like the thicker pads as I feel I am floating on the ocean....

There is my 2 cents....everyone is vastly different.
What is there, beyond the mountain, if not the man? - Walter Bonatti

The simpler you make things, the richer the experience becomes. - Steve House

Postby davebks » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:28 am

I'd definitely try some out. I found that the big agnes pad was nice but I rolled off of it a lot. the tubes were too big for me.
The Exped mats were the best.
I got the exped downmat 7 wide and its the best mat I have ever used. I brought it to Nepal and Peru and was toasty warm the whole time.
I also use it here in Colorado.
And the chair kit is bomber. You can have a full recliner or just the chair but the 2+ inch loft makes it a nice wide comfy chair.
Highly recommend.

I liked the vertical tubes but smaller tubes, not 4 large ones.

Postby taylorbm » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:24 pm

shredthegnar10 wrote:
jdorje wrote:

Only on 14ers.com...

First world problem?

True true... but that same thought about the triviality of the question can be applied to nearly every single thread about gear.

Thanks for the input everyone - there are some good points I hadn't thought of
--
Brandon

Next