Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

ankle brace recomendations?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

ankle brace recomendations?

Postby Jaggers » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:02 pm

I seem to have a problem with rolling my ankle on loose rock on the way down. Its never a full on sprain and I am able to continue back, but then it is sore for a couple weeks. I'm thinking that a good ankle brace might help and wondering if anyone has recommendations. Also, if anyone has any advice as to technique other than the obvious that perhaps treading a little more lightly would be beneficial. Thanks!

Re: ankle brace recomendations?

Postby GregMiller » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:07 pm

I used to have problems with that as a kid, and I *think* that a combination of fairly-high ankle hiking boots and trekking poles has fixed that for me. Can't speak to ankle braces, though.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby mtndude3737 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:35 pm

Both of my ankles have problems, but it got worse after I was cliff jumping into a small pool of water near Moab, and "missed" the deep spot and hit where it was only 4 feet deep. That was a 35 foot jump, and CRUNCH! I still hiked and climbed later that year, but did so with a neoprene/plastic ankle support brace.

I recommend good high tops and/or neoprene ankle braces. That being said, you really want to strengthen the ankles, so when they aren't tender, I hike or climb in my approach shoes or low top hiking shoes. I have gradually strengthened my ankles by slacklining. Many of the newer climbing gyms are putting slacklines up, but you can also simulate that by just balancing on anything that is "wobbly" and allows your ankles to get strengthened without twisting them too hard.

Just remember, if it hurts, don't do it. Back off, or, if you are on the trail, wrap it up.

All of THAT being said, I am not a doctor, but I have gone through the pains and learned a few things that have worked for me.
What is there, beyond the mountain, if not the man? - Walter Bonatti

The simpler you make things, the richer the experience becomes. - Steve House

Postby MtHurd » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:53 pm

http://www.activeankle.com/products/lace-ups

The Power Lacer has steel which is probably too much unless your ankle is really bad. Excel would probably be the best. I wear another brand that laces up but I guy I play basketball with likes his Active Ankle lace up.

Postby Jaggers » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:05 am

Thank you everybody!

Postby Dave B » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:08 pm

I also used to have a real hard time with rolling my ankles.

I haven't done it once since I started trail running for training though. Ankle strengthening seems to be just as beneficial as a brace.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby mannosteel » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:29 pm

Honestly, I feel the best one put there as far as stability and comfort is head and shoulders the ASO. Solid brace and not too bulky for the stability it provides.

Postby Taillon75 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:05 am

Duct Tape! Fixes everything.....
Catchy saying from someone famous.

Postby bonehead » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:31 am

Dave B wrote:Ankle strengthening seems to be just as beneficial as a brace.

More So!
I am currently going through this process and totally agree.
I'm working off a 6 month old ankle tweak in low tops.
Doing a lot of summits, but aware every moment of potential disaster.
Ankle strengthening is more beneficial/important than a brace.
I would not consider starting a climb relying on a brace,
although I have always carried one as part of my med kit.

Postby EM_in_CO » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:50 am

McDavid Ultralight Ankle Brace with Straps: it has laces and straps that "create" a figure eight and offer support. I use this for playing soccer and have used it on a couple of 14er hikes after rolling my ankle. The number I use is 195R, which offers what McDavid classifies as "Protection Level III."

Postby wils_25 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:12 pm

I worn every lace up known to man, I think they're all about the same. The Mueller Aircast is much better than any lace up, a little bulky though.

Postby syoung123 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:17 am

I mildly sprained my ankle trail running back in June, but ever since have been rolling it just about as soon as it feels back to normal again (every 1-3 weeks). Just bought the moderate support brace (forget brand name) at Wal-Mart for $10 (neoprene, non-lace up). Best $10 I've ever spent. I had no problems with the 15 mile round trip on the keyhole, which IMO is an ankle roll just looking for a place to happen!

Next