Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Seriously, What The...

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Seriously, What The...

Postby Furthermore » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:07 am

So... the other day I was on the first Flatiron taking someone on their first multi-pitch climb and shortly after where the standard route joins the north ridge were two enormous piles of crap with toilet paper waving in the wind. These piles of crap were not discrete and were directly on the climbing route. What happened to Leave No Trace, bro? I always carry my used ass wipe out in ziplocs. We had to short rope and then simul through this section since I was worried about dragging my rope through these piles of dung. Who ever did this should be beaten with a rack of cams or nuts! I don't even want to begin to describe the smell.

Who ever did this, please next time hang your a$$ over the edge and let the bombs fly. That might be even funner? And, you can say “Bombs Away!” Seriously though, at the very least, you should crap under a rock and carry that used ass wipe out. Sick F*#@.

Re: Seriously, What The...

Postby screeman57 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:46 am

I've seen some bad @%$# in m day (pun intended), but this is really disturbing.
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

Postby jblyth » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:47 am

I've seen piles like this before, most recently up by a Mt. Massive camp site. The culprit did their business and left about 20 Chipotle napkins (not exaggerating) that had blown all over the place….pretty crappy thing to do.

Postby screeman57 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:52 am

Lol, good one--"crappy" thing to do...
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

Postby I Man » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:55 am

Furthermore wrote:So... the other day I was on the first Flatiron taking someone on their first multi-pitch climb and shortly after where the standard route joins the north ridge were two enormous piles of crap with toilet paper waving in the wind. These piles of crap were not discrete and were directly on the climbing route. What happened to Leave No Trace, bro? I always carry my used ass wipe out in ziplocs. We had to short rope and then simul through this section since I was worried about dragging my rope through these piles of dung. Who ever did this should be beaten with a rack of cams or nuts! I don't even want to begin to describe the smell.

Who ever did this, please next time hang your a$$ over the edge and let the bombs fly. That might be even funner? And, you can say “Bombs Away!” Seriously though, at the very least, you should crap under a rock and carry that used ass wipe out. Sick F*#@.

C'mon now, we all know it was you :lol:
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby skiwall » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:57 am

jblyth17 wrote:The culprit did their business and left about 20 Chipotle napkins (not exaggerating) that had blown all over the place….

Need some Chipotle-away?

That's really gross. There are places on Timpanogos like that. I was looking for a place to stash my skis for a jaunt to the summit last September, and there was crap everywhere. It was disgusting.
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08

Postby susanjoypaul » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:58 am

That's disgusting. I always carry a big Ziploc with all my bathroom items - paper, wet wipes, panty liners, tampons, etc. - and an extra bag inside that one so I can double-bag out the used materials.

If you Google "susan joy paul poop" you will see that I even recommend pristine poop practice in my last book, and I will be repeating the recommendation in my next book. This is my legacy :D

Postby jsdratm » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:13 am

That is pretty poor poo etiquette. They could have at least gone in the trees to do their business. Of course, there are some vile people out there who just like to see the world burn.

Postby screejunkie » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:30 am

Last year on Longs, two poo-piles were left in the narrows. I did a double-take on what I saw and I was shocked at the placement and that the person's boxers were left near by. Plus it would have taken some serious balance to squat there. Just gross.

Postby MountainHiker » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:34 am

screejunkie wrote:Last year on Longs, two poo-piles were left in the narrows. I did a double-take on what I saw and I was shocked at the placement and that the person's boxers were left near by. Plus it would have taken some serious balance to squat there. Just gross.

So the narrows scared the crap out of them! :oops:
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby susanjoypaul » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:34 am

Perhaps we need to invent an undergarment for lazy and inconsiderate climbers, with a built-in "poop pocket" and special decomposition chemicals to ensure proper and complete elimination of the offending load.

We could call it the "Bum Wrap"... and present it on Shark Tank!

Postby tmathews » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:53 am

susanjoypaul wrote:Perhaps we need to invent an undergarment for lazy and inconsiderate climbers, with a built-in "poop pocket" and special decomposition chemicals to ensure proper and complete elimination of the offending load.

We could call it the "Bum Wrap"... and present it on Shark Tank!

Next