Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

SPOT Beacon....

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: SPOT Beacon....

Postby Taillon75 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:00 pm

I have one and used it in Nepal this year. It worked fine. I was able to post my location on Facebook and allow my friends to track me online. It even worked on high elevation summits. Its small and pretty tough. The membership thing sucks but It could save your behind. I have the Orange Spot II.
Catchy saying from someone famous.

Postby SpringsJeff » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:20 pm

+1 on the ACR Resqlink

Higher initial cost but no annual fee

Uses the 406 mhz SARSAT system

Can't text or do the cute stuff but when my wife and I are snowshoeing hut to hut in the middle of nowhere I need to know I can absolutely, positively reach SAR in an emergency.

Postby broncotw » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:29 am

So here are a few questions for the SPOT (Gen 1) users....

When utilizing the "tracking" feature does the unit need to be in a position to continually see the satellites?

If so, do you just affix the unit to the top of your pack while hiking/climbing?

Thanks,
Ted from TEXAS!

Postby Dave_W » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:44 am

I just throw my SPoT in the top pocket of my backpack...it rolls around in there with power bars, compass and some other stuff...seems to track me most of the time with no problem.

Postby broncotw » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:28 pm

Awesome! Thanks Dave!!!
Ted from TEXAS!

Postby broncotw » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:51 pm

A few more questions for SPOT (Gen 1) users/owners:

1. Once the "Tracking" function is engaged can you STILL utilize the "OK" function?

2. If so, do you need to restart the "tracking" function after you send an "OK" message?

Thanks
Ted from TEXAS!

Postby bob863 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:27 pm

I have the best success rate for my SPOT (Gen 1) when...

If I'm in "tracking" mode and I want to send an "OK" message - I cycle the power (OFF then back ON) and then send my "OK" message. If I want
to go back to "tracking", I again perform a power cycle (OFF then back ON) and re-initiate "tracking"...

P.S. I have the best success rate for my "OK" message if I keep my SPOT powered on for two cycles of the "OK" message being sent (that normally occurs 20-30 minutes after the "OK" message has been activated).

P.P.S. As with all things electronic, you have to "experiment" to find the best/optimum performance for your own individual circumstances.

Postby Roald » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:21 pm

bob863 wrote:I have the best success rate for my SPOT (Gen 1) when...

If I'm in "tracking" mode and I want to send an "OK" message - I cycle the power (OFF then back ON) and then send my "OK" message. If I want
to go back to "tracking", I again perform a power cycle (OFF then back ON) and re-initiate "tracking"...

P.S. I have the best success rate for my "OK" message if I keep my SPOT powered on for two cycles of the "OK" message being sent (that normally occurs 20-30 minutes after the "OK" message has been activated).

P.P.S. As with all things electronic, you have to "experiment" to find the best/optimum performance for your own individual circumstances.

Ted -

I always used the exact same process as bob863 described above, and never had any problems at all. Good luck.
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.

Postby broncotw » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:47 pm

Thanks guys!!!
Ted from TEXAS!

Postby screefieldstevie » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:23 pm

Never had one single problem with my check-in/"ok" messages.....tracking feature also works no problem :).....oh and FYI I do have a SPOT II
"Cause the Rocky Mountain Way Is better than the way we had" - Joe Walsh

Postby Dex » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:22 am

screefieldstevie wrote:Never had one single problem with my check-in/"ok" messages.....

How do you know?
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby winmag4582001 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:50 am

Dex wrote:
screefieldstevie wrote:Never had one single problem with my check-in/"ok" messages.....

How do you know?

You can set it up to send you a text, facebook update, or twitter post when the OK button is pressed. You can also check the status online when you get home.
I really like the spot. As far as the "emergency" button, I would not fully trust my life to any electronic device no matter what brand or how expensive. For the price, performance, and features, I feel the SPOT is a good buy.
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."-Joel Bernardini

PreviousNext