Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Decent Lightweight Camera

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Decent Lightweight Camera

Postby ulvetano » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:44 pm

Huge thanks to everyone who offered their input! By chance, I found a Sony RX100 on C-List that was 'like new' (50-100 shots taken on it) with new case, 2 spare batteries, and an external charger -- for not too much more than the s95. Crossing my fingers that it works out. Just picked it up and reading the manual now. I'm sure my pics will still suck, but maybe this will help! Chuck *edited - Sony!
Last edited by ulvetano on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:02 pm

I think you meant Sony RX100? I've been a Canon guy from day one, but this Sony is intriguing. Let us know how it works out.

As to the S100, I haven't used it, but working some photos for a TR, shot from the S100. Not sure I see a whole lot of advantage with the S100 over the very old SX110 I'm using now.

I wonder about things that are unique and make use of current/future tech - like the RX100 (super large sensor,) or some of the mirrorless designs (built on the micro 2/3 format - like SLR quality with pocket size.)

Had a G9 for a while. It was a fun camera, and I enjoyed the heft of the unit for shooting around town, but for serious alpine work, I feel the G-series is a little on the heavy side for what it offers. The RAW capability is a big plus, though.

Comments about cutting edge technology appreciated.

My personal thoughts for the next camera: SX230, RX100, Sony NEX series.

Postby RockyMountainMustang » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:45 am

I have this camera and I LOVE it. http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=OMTG830R Olympus TG-830 Tough (I'd even recommend the website, as I've not seen this camera in any stores). Practically indestructible, built in GPS, 16mp, and lightweight point and shoot. You can shoot video and take pictures while the video is going, which is awesome!. It's also has lots of cool shooting modes, called "magic" that do crazy cool s**t and make you look like you actually know what you're doing. I'd also recommend a gorrilapod, Got one and love it, no more trying to balance camera on tree branches and knobbly rocks. Here's a bighorn sheep from RMNP that I took a pic of yesterday. It's little on here because it said it had to be <350kb to upload.

RMNP 037 (2) (640x480).jpg
RMNP 037 (2) (640x480).jpg (274.58 KiB) Viewed 477 times
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable." - Helen Keller

Postby dsr1986 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:56 pm

Many of the cameras being recommended here now seem outdated (12mp, 16mp, etc.), so I'd like to revive this thread. Now that 18-20mp is "affordable" - does anyone have any new input? I know nothing about cameras, so maybe the mp count doesn't have any effect on the quality of photos that I'm taking. The camera on my iPhone 4 just isn't cutting it these days, but I'm still trying to stay lightweight.
Whats with Today, today?

Postby Jon Frohlich » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:07 pm

dsr1986 wrote:Many of the cameras being recommended here now seem outdated (12mp, 16mp, etc.), so I'd like to revive this thread. Now that 18-20mp is "affordable" - does anyone have any new input? I know nothing about cameras, so maybe the mp count doesn't have any effect on the quality of photos that I'm taking. The camera on my iPhone 4 just isn't cutting it these days, but I'm still trying to stay lightweight.

Megapixel count has an impact but these days in the lighter camera world usually that effect is negative. The manufacturers have taken the megapixel counts too far to be a benefit. If you have a DSLR then 20mp can be useful. If you have a point and shoot then it's a waste.

Some of the best small cameras have less than 12mp:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1000471-REG/canon_8407b001_powershot_s120_digital_camera.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/880960-REG/Panasonic_dmc_lx7k_Lumix_LX7_Digital_Camera.html

Recommending a camera really depends a lot on your budget and what you want to do with it. Regardless don't use megapixel count as any indication of quality.

Postby bergsteigen » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:14 pm

Jon Frohlich wrote:Recommending a camera really depends a lot on your budget and what you want to do with it. Regardless don't use megapixel count as any indication of quality.

Larger megapixels doesn't insure good photos. It just means larger fuzzy pics filling up memory. So don't discount the previous mentions in this thread. Or just look at the most modern version of the models.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby geojed » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:39 pm

bergsteigen wrote:Larger megapixels doesn't insure good photos.

For that you have to buy a separate picture insurance policy! ;)

I agree with Otina BTW, sensor size & processor quality are both MUCH more important than pixels. Unless, of course, you plan to print a picture big enough to cover the side of your house.
Last edited by geojed on Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby the toninator » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:39 pm

the new gen rx100 is still killing it.

Postby vandy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:56 pm

I'm using the aforementioned Olympus XZ-1 and I still love it. It's got a great feature set and takes fine photos. Durable too!

Postby the toninator » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:08 pm

that's a great photo. narrow dof, well balanced, sharp focus. nice.

Postby kimo » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:02 pm

dsr1986 wrote:Many of the cameras being recommended here now seem outdated (12mp, 16mp, etc.), so I'd like to revive this thread. Now that 18-20mp is "affordable" - does anyone have any new input? I know nothing about cameras, so maybe the mp count doesn't have any effect on the quality of photos that I'm taking. The camera on my iPhone 4 just isn't cutting it these days, but I'm still trying to stay lightweight.

Megapixels are for printing. Do you print? And do you print large? A nicely detailed landscape printed at 20" x 30" could make the most of 20-24 megapixels when viewed close up, such as in your home.

But megapixels take discipline. Vibration reduction systems won't fix sloppy camera handling at 24 megapixels. I made the transition to 24 MP and it wasn't easy. I had to stop and be still for a moment to take a sharp picture. Megapixels reward a steady hand or a tripod.

Another advantage to megapixels is the ability to crop without losing too much resolution. But if you don't intend to crop, and you don't intend to print big, then megapixels may not be as important as other useful features such as a fast f1.8 lens.

Postby bob863 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:29 pm

I agree, HUGE megapixels are only useful if you need to blow-up a print to wall-size...

most point & shoot cameras are more than adequate for standard 3x5" and 4x6" prints...

PreviousNext