Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Decent Lightweight Camera

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Decent Lightweight Camera

Postby ulvetano » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:44 pm

Huge thanks to everyone who offered their input! By chance, I found a Sony RX100 on C-List that was 'like new' (50-100 shots taken on it) with new case, 2 spare batteries, and an external charger -- for not too much more than the s95. Crossing my fingers that it works out. Just picked it up and reading the manual now. I'm sure my pics will still suck, but maybe this will help! Chuck *edited - Sony!
Last edited by ulvetano on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:02 pm

I think you meant Sony RX100? I've been a Canon guy from day one, but this Sony is intriguing. Let us know how it works out.

As to the S100, I haven't used it, but working some photos for a TR, shot from the S100. Not sure I see a whole lot of advantage with the S100 over the very old SX110 I'm using now.

I wonder about things that are unique and make use of current/future tech - like the RX100 (super large sensor,) or some of the mirrorless designs (built on the micro 2/3 format - like SLR quality with pocket size.)

Had a G9 for a while. It was a fun camera, and I enjoyed the heft of the unit for shooting around town, but for serious alpine work, I feel the G-series is a little on the heavy side for what it offers. The RAW capability is a big plus, though.

Comments about cutting edge technology appreciated.

My personal thoughts for the next camera: SX230, RX100, Sony NEX series.

Postby RockyMountainMustang » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:45 am

I have this camera and I LOVE it. http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=OMTG830R Olympus TG-830 Tough (I'd even recommend the website, as I've not seen this camera in any stores). Practically indestructible, built in GPS, 16mp, and lightweight point and shoot. You can shoot video and take pictures while the video is going, which is awesome!. It's also has lots of cool shooting modes, called "magic" that do crazy cool s**t and make you look like you actually know what you're doing. I'd also recommend a gorrilapod, Got one and love it, no more trying to balance camera on tree branches and knobbly rocks. Here's a bighorn sheep from RMNP that I took a pic of yesterday. It's little on here because it said it had to be <350kb to upload.

RMNP 037 (2) (640x480).jpg
RMNP 037 (2) (640x480).jpg (274.58 KiB) Viewed 128 times
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable." - Helen Keller

Previous