Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Water Filter Recommendations

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Water Filter Recommendations

Postby randalmartin » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:47 am

MtnClimber82 wrote:
randalmartin wrote:Platypus are about 3 times more expensive vs the replacement Sawyer squeeze bags ($8.95 for a 1L Platypus vs $8.95 for 3 Sawyer 1L squeeze bags). Of course the Platypus is probably quite a bit more durable.

That is irrelevant to my question.

I answered your question and included a picture at the bottom of page two on this thread.

Postby Dex » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:22 am

djkest wrote:
claguire wrote:I just bought the Sawyer 3-Way Inline Water Filter. It conects to your hydration bladder and it filters while you drink. It's a little different than the bag thing they have. It also works as a gravity filter too. Best part it weights 2oz. I am going backpacking next week to try it.
http://www.rei.com/product/801824/sawyer-3-way-inline-water-filter

Hard to argue with all the 5 star reviews on REI.com huh? Yeah, that sounds like an awesome choice. You guys are making me want to buy one when I already have a nice working filter! ](*,)

The only thing that turns me off about that method is that your bladder is now polluted and you have to be fastidious about cleaning it when you get home.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby randalmartin » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:29 am

Dex wrote:
djkest wrote:
claguire wrote:I just bought the Sawyer 3-Way Inline Water Filter. It conects to your hydration bladder and it filters while you drink. It's a little different than the bag thing they have. It also works as a gravity filter too. Best part it weights 2oz. I am going backpacking next week to try it.
http://www.rei.com/product/801824/sawyer-3-way-inline-water-filter

Hard to argue with all the 5 star reviews on REI.com huh? Yeah, that sounds like an awesome choice. You guys are making me want to buy one when I already have a nice working filter! ](*,)

The only thing that turns me off about that method is that your bladder is now polluted and you have to be fastidious about cleaning it when you get home.

No need to clean it. It is your permanent dirty bladder.

Postby climbing_rob » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:25 pm

Dex wrote: The only thing that turns me off about that method is that your bladder is now polluted and you have to be fastidious about cleaning it when you get home.
I rinse all my water containers out when I get home, and try to thoroughly dry them. There would be nothing "polluted" about a container that held "raw" water, a simple but thorough rinsing will remove enough of anything bad to not be an issue.

I can't wait to try out one of these sawyer squeeze thingies (on order); always looking for the "best" water treatment option, meaning to create safe, filtered (meaning better tasting) water, quickly, easily and with minimum weight. I plan to thoroughly test these things out on some long hikes (two 10-day trips planned this summer). My plan is to carry two of the ultralight squeeze bags, meaning one for backup (it comes with three) and filter into my platypuses (platypi?) and see how that system works. A minor puncture in one of the squeeze bags should not affect it's performance I would think, especially with a piece of duct tape over the leaking area. A tear would be another matter. Even if both bags completely failed, one could do a platypus-->platypus thing.

Anyway, thanks again Randall for the initial suggestion!

Postby dsunwall » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:15 pm

I wonder how gator-aid or electrolyte tabs work with that 3-way and a bladder. Can you add it to the unfiltered water and run it through the filter?

Postby randalmartin » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:06 pm

dsunwall wrote:I wonder how gator-aid or electrolyte tabs work with that 3-way and a bladder. Can you add it to the unfiltered water and run it through the filter?

Just my opinion, I wouldn't put in my unfiltered water simply because it may contribute to the filter not working well later. You just never know what residue will adhere to the microscopic pores in the filter and either clog or inhibit the free flow of water. Not sure why you wouldn't just put the tabs in the filtered water.

Postby dsunwall » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:20 am

randalmartin wrote: Not sure why you wouldn't just put the tabs in the filtered water.

I was under the impression that the inline filter was on the hose from the bladder so you wouldn't have filtered water until its at the bite valve in your mouth. This issue would make me go with the squeeze rather than the inline.

Postby climbing_rob » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:01 am

I understood what you meant D-dog, mix gatorade in the "dirty" sack, drink directly through the filter. I would find it hard to believe that any microbe filter would filter down to the molecular level (sugar molecules), and as long as you rinsed the filter by filtering only water relatively soon afterward (before the sugar water, AKA gatorade dried), it should be just fine. Not sure though, I'd call the manufacturer to make 100% sure, or just take the minor risk or ruining the fairly inexpensive filter element.

Postby claguire » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:44 pm

Ok I have had the chance to use the inline filter. It was great, filtering water took less than 30 sec everytime. Then I had instant fresh water. I hung the bladder then used it as gravity filter for water I needed when cooking. It left more time for other activies while backpacking. I will say the water sources in the smokies are great. Streams are deep, and springs have pipes with the water flowing out. This made it so easy, shallow source would present a problem. At home now I do have to face having a dirty bladder, my thoughts are washed it out with bleach and soap and/or keep the filter on allways.

Postby djkest » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:03 pm

I tried my Sawyer Squeeze. Was pretty fast and easy to use. I did get pinholes in my 2L bag after 2 uses though. I actually think a marmot chewed/clawed the holes in the bag. It didn't leak at first. Even with holes in the bag, I was still able to filter water w/o cross contamination. Overall I am impressed with the size and weight of the filter, and we didn't get sick from the water FWIW.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby dsunwall » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:48 pm

I also had a chance to try the squeeze in a very shallow mountain stream. Those bags were a little difficult, I did blow it up first and was able to fill it. I went back for a second scoop and realized I would have to blow on the dirty opening, I managed to fill it without blowing it up again. I might try using some kind of fill bottle next time, maybe a 20oz gatoraide bottle. Also thought a chic dick might work as a funnel to channel the water in. :-&

I don't see it as being a big advantage over a pump, but it does save a few ounces and a little time. I'm also thinking the inline might be a little better all around.

BTW it takes 2 or 3 weeks for giardia to make itself known.

Postby climbing_rob » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:40 pm

I got mine (the squeeze) about a week ago, haven't tried it yet, but anxious to check it all out. I personally would have no qualms about blowing into the bag to puff it up for easier filling, even after it became "dirty" (contaminated). You could always rinse with a small amount of filtered water if this makes you nervous.

I picked up a case of what the doc thought was Giardia in Belize a few years ago, and it took about two weeks to show up. Not a ton of fun, but not the most horrible thing I've ever had to "sit" through.

PreviousNext