Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Water Filter Recommendations

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Water Filter Recommendations

Postby dsunwall » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:31 pm

I think I'm convinced on the squeeze, looks ideal.

Postby MtnClimber82 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:15 pm

randalmartin wrote:Platypus are about 3 times more expensive vs the replacement Sawyer squeeze bags ($8.95 for a 1L Platypus vs $8.95 for 3 Sawyer 1L squeeze bags). Of course the Platypus is probably quite a bit more durable.

That is irrelevant to my question.

Postby bob863 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:52 pm

I'm glad to see this subject raised every year....some people still need to feel comfortable spending $$'s on filters....I've been using a $9 container of water purification tablets for the last 10 years and have never had a problem....

Postby SpringsJeff » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:19 pm

If I know there is clear water where I can simply strain out the floaties, Steripen.

If I am going to a new place and am unsure about the water quality, MSR.

A lot of good comments about the Sawyer - I'll have to check it out.

Postby SolarAlex » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:56 pm

is it still possible to get sick from drinking filtered water? sorry if this is a dumb question, never used a water filter before.

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:20 am

I have a Katyden pump filter. The pump failed in Chicago basin last summer, I think it got plugged with sand since it works fine after I got it home and cleaned it up.

So I've been thinking about the bag filter, but the reviews are less than stellar. I realize that even the best products get some negative comments by people that either abuse the products or don't know how to use them. But reports of bags quickly leaking even being gentle, difficulty filling the bag, cross-contamination, and exceptionally poor customer support have me looking elsewhere. I think I might just test trial my Katyden a few more times and keep using that.

In any event whatever method you choose a backup - such as the ability to boil water or even just the pills is a good thing to have.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:33 am

SolarAlex wrote:is it still possible to get sick from drinking filtered water? sorry if this is a dumb question, never used a water filter before.

A good filter will keep you safe from the bugs, pathogens, and the like. It cannot keep you safe from a water source that is chemically contaminated, such as an old mine spoil. Can a filter fail? -sure it's possible, but not very likely. It's a risk/reward thing - in this case high reward, very little risk, and the consequence of a fail is a moderate one. Although I should mention that Colorado Native had an interesting thread several years ago about "an unseen enemy" - he had gotten quite sick from cross-contamination (can't find the thread in the forum search).
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Postby hotrod » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:40 am

Filtering also will not get rid of viruses. It takes a purifier to do that. However, after filtering, drop in a few drops of ordinary household bleach and wait a bit. That will take care of viruses.
Growing older is inevitable, but getting old is not.

Postby forbins_mtn » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:42 am

since i'm not in the business of 10 day backpacking trips, and simply choose to do 3-4 day endeavors I am perfectly happy with my Miniworks. the 14oz of weight is nothing when it allows me to not worry about any issues arising from filtration. no batteries to die, it is easy to set up where cross contamination is not an issue, it's easy to use, it's fast to use and I can clean the filter at the drop of a hat on the trail or in my kitchen.

Postby dsunwall » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:55 am

the good thing is we have lots of good options, probably nothing wrong with most of the suggestions here. I do always carry chlorine pills as a back up to filtering, and have used them quite often when I don't have a filter along. I do prefer filtering though, especially for multi day hikes. I've read too many giardia stories too take any chances.

Postby claguire » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:00 am

I just bought the Sawyer 3-Way Inline Water Filter. It conects to your hydration bladder and it filters while you drink. It's a little different than the bag thing they have. It also works as a gravity filter too. Best part it weights 2oz. I am going backpacking next week to try it.
http://www.rei.com/product/801824/sawyer-3-way-inline-water-filter

Postby djkest » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 am

claguire wrote:I just bought the Sawyer 3-Way Inline Water Filter. It conects to your hydration bladder and it filters while you drink. It's a little different than the bag thing they have. It also works as a gravity filter too. Best part it weights 2oz. I am going backpacking next week to try it.
http://www.rei.com/product/801824/sawyer-3-way-inline-water-filter

Hard to argue with all the 5 star reviews on REI.com huh? Yeah, that sounds like an awesome choice. You guys are making me want to buy one when I already have a nice working filter! ](*,)
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

PreviousNext