Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Water Filter Recommendations

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Water Filter Recommendations

Postby Kitten » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:52 am

climbing_rob wrote:
djkest wrote:I am going to give the Sawyer Squeeze a try, looks like a good way to cut down on weight.
$52 on Amazon w/ free shipping. I just ordered one.

I'll have to check on this one as well. It does not mention replacing the filter... never gets replaced?
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda, Star Wars.

Postby alsrun » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:45 pm

Got the Sawyer Squeeze last year. Works great! One tip...blow into the bag before trying to fill it up from a lake thus making room for the water to enter the bag. Eventually a new filter will be required but you have many refills to go before that happens.

Location: Up high in the San Juan Mtns (Apr-Nov) and down by the beach in CA & HA (Nov-Apr)

Postby San Juan Ron » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:51 pm

+3 Steripen
Used a Steripen for many years and never had an issue.
SJ Ron

Postby JB99 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:11 pm

Another vote for the SteriPen, well worth it. Especially if you travel places with questionable water because you can just refill your water bottle in the sink instead of paying for bottled water. We saved the cost of the SteriPen after one trip. It's also changed how I bring water on hikes, I'll leave the trailhead with a liter to a liter and a half and refill along the way.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."

Postby climbing_rob » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:21 pm

Steripens are great, but IMHO only when you have nice clear, tasty water to drink. they do not in any way filter the water, they just kill the little bugs. I like to actually have a filter to make somewhat less-than-perfect water taste good (and free of stuff to make you sick). True, in Colorado, most water sources have fairly clean, good tasting water so Steripens would work great in most places. But then there is the weight and battery issue, plus the time to sterilize when the water is very cold. So this latest Sawyer Squeeze option is well worth looking into.

Postby djkest » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:27 pm

I saw the Sawyer Squeeze says you shouldn't let it freeze or it could ruin the filter. Something to consider with freezing alpine temps.

I have heard a lot of good stuff about the steripen, but I'd be nervous to rely upon batteries for safe water.
Last edited by djkest on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby randalmartin » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:30 pm

djkest wrote:I saw the Sawyer Squeeze says you shouldn't let it freeze or it could ruin the filter.

That pretty much applies to ANY water filter.

Kitten wrote:I'll have to check on this one as well. It does not mention replacing the filter... never gets replaced?

From the manufacturers website the filter "Life Expectancy: 1 Million Gallons Guaranteed". They do give you a syringe for backflushing the filter to clear of larger sediment. I more likely failure point on the Sawyer Squeeze is the bags themselves. Applying pressure to squeeze the water through them will likely result eventually in a leak near the attachment of the bag to the plastic opening. The mfg says they will be good for "hundreds" of uses. Replacement bags are pretty cheap (REI $8.95 for package of 3 32oz squeeze bags).

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:05 pm

The Sawyer gravity filter works great and is pretty light (8 oz). It filters a liter in roughly 2 minutes. No moving parts is a huge advantage, less points of possible failures.

Need to try Aquamira drops, seems to be the choice for most UL adventurers like Andrew Skurka.

Edit: I also like gravity filters because you can fill the bag then fill bottles in a more comfortable area away from the stream.

Postby Sugar Madison » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:21 pm

I use Aquamira drops. Work well, taste fine, super light, cheap, no batteries, nothing to break or clog.

Had a few Steripens go tits up on long wilderness runs over the years... just don't trust them enough (though apparently their QC has improved over the years).

Postby MtnClimber82 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:47 pm

Does anybody know if the Sawyer Squeeze will screw onto a platypus water bag? They look to be about the same size.

Postby randalmartin » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:01 pm

MtnClimber82 wrote:Does anybody know if the Sawyer Squeeze will screw onto a platypus water bag? They look to be about the same size.

Yes it does. It doesn't initially feel like it's a perfect fit, however, I have run water through it with no drips/leaks.

Sawyer with Platypus.jpg
Sawyer connected Platypus
Sawyer with Platypus.jpg (124.06 KiB) Viewed 137 times

Postby randalmartin » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:52 pm

MtnClimber82 wrote:Does anybody know if the Sawyer Squeeze will screw onto a platypus water bag? They look to be about the same size.

Platypus are about 3 times more expensive vs the replacement Sawyer squeeze bags ($8.95 for a 1L Platypus vs $8.95 for 3 Sawyer 1L squeeze bags). Of course the Platypus is probably quite a bit more durable.

PreviousNext