Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Water Filter Recommendations

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Water Filter Recommendations

Postby Sgt_Wilky » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:59 pm

Hey All,

The last posting on this topic was a couple years old, so I wanted some updated recommendations/experiences with water filers. Which do you recommend?

Sgt_Wilky
"The merit of an action lies in finishing it to the end" -Genghis Khan

"I sat on top and was immediately addicted. I must do more of this." -SuperPolok

"A man never discloses his own character so clearly as when he describes another's." -Jean Paul Richter

Re: Water Filter Recommendations

Postby randalmartin » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:02 pm

The new Sawyer Squeeze is really nice, quick and lightweight (about 4oz total including bag that you squeeze from) and filters down to .1 micron which gets rid of even the smaller stuff. I bought one at the REI sale last month.

http://www.rei.com/product/837824/sawyer-squeeze-water-filter

Much easier to operate than something like the MSR Miniworks which I used to own and weighed a pound.

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:54 pm

How about light, cheap and just awesome all around...

Check out the Aquamira Frontier Pro ($25). For day trips I attach it to the end of my drinking tube from a 1L camelback and then I dunk the waterbag in streams every so often to refill the bag. The advantages to this system over carrying all the water you plan to drink for the day are tremendous - you don't have to worry about running out (except when you are too high to find water and then 1L is reasonable to get me up and down), and your water is nice and cold all day! Obviously this doesn't work in below freezing temps but for summer climbs it is awesome. As a side note, if you are super paranoid about bugs you can add iodine or chlorine to the water as well and the filter will take out the taste. I don't bother with that though, I just use the filter alone and so far have been just fine.

It also works great for backpacking, you just bring a clean water bag and set it up as a gravity filter. Gravity filters are great since there is no pumping involved, just set it up, kick back and relax!

Check it out: http://aquamira.com/consumer/frontier-pro-filter-system/

lots of demonstrations on gravity filters out there:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=aquamira+frontier+pro+gravity+filter&FORM=HDRSC3
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby Kitten » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:57 pm

We used the MSR for a long time (maybe 2-3 years) till the syringe part broke. Then we bought the Katadyn Hiker Pro and were much happier with the choice. It is faster and does not plug as often as the MSR one.
http://www.rei.com/product/720265/katadyn-hiker-pro-water-filter
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda, Star Wars.

Postby apasquel » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:53 am

I use the Steripen. It's light, compact, and uses the UV rays to kill all three: Bacteria, protozoa, and viruses. I've now used it for two years and have had no probolems with it. Just be sure you take batteries out when done using...I've found that keeping batteries in the steripen drains all the juice...big con: pricey...about $100 bucks.

Postby climbing_rob » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:08 am

randalmartin wrote:The new Sawyer Squeeze is really nice, quick and lightweight (about 4oz total including bag that you squeeze from) and filters down to .1 micron which gets rid of even the smaller stuff. I bought one at the REI sale last month.

http://www.rei.com/product/837824/sawyer-squeeze-water-filter

Much easier to operate than something like the MSR Miniworks which I used to own and weighed a pound.
I've been meaning to try this one out, thanks for the info. I currently use the MSR Hyperflow, fastest filter I've ever seen, but very finicky so I do not recommend it. I'm definitely buying one of these Sawyer Squeezes to try.

Postby Fisching » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:49 am

apasquel wrote:I use the Steripen. It's light, compact, and uses the UV rays to kill all three: Bacteria, protozoa, and viruses. I've now used it for two years and have had no probolems with it. Just be sure you take batteries out when done using...I've found that keeping batteries in the steripen drains all the juice...big con: pricey...about $100 bucks.

+1. Steripen makes a rechargeable model that can be done through a wall socket or a USB connection, so that would eliminate the battery issue if that's a determent to you. It's good for 40 uses between charges and I've been quite pleased with mine so far.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby Fairlight » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:50 am

I started a discussion on this in the 14ers group on FB and got a lot of good feedback.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/82338447841/10150674248142842/

Postby djkest » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:58 am

Kitten wrote:We used the MSR for a long time (maybe 2-3 years) till the syringe part broke. Then we bought the Katadyn Hiker Pro and were much happier with the choice. It is faster and does not plug as often as the MSR one.
http://www.rei.com/product/720265/katadyn-hiker-pro-water-filter

I have the Pur/Katadyn hiker pro as well. Very nice, haven't had any issues with clogging so far. Only downside is it's a pretty good amount of work and it weighs nearly a lb. I am going to give the Sawyer Squeeze a try, looks like a good way to cut down on weight.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby climbing_rob » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:04 am

djkest wrote:I am going to give the Sawyer Squeeze a try, looks like a good way to cut down on weight.
$52 on Amazon w/ free shipping. I just ordered one.

Postby Sgt_Wilky » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:21 am

Thank you all for your feedback! I'll research each of these options!

Sgt_Wilky
"The merit of an action lies in finishing it to the end" -Genghis Khan

"I sat on top and was immediately addicted. I must do more of this." -SuperPolok

"A man never discloses his own character so clearly as when he describes another's." -Jean Paul Richter

Postby Spoke537 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:47 pm

+2 Steripen.
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to ones courage." - Anais Nin

Next