Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sweet Deal on Backpacker Magazine

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Sweet Deal on Backpacker Magazine

Postby dpbasing » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:00 am

8) Thanks for the heads-up. Great deal :wft:

Postby bogman2121 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:33 pm

I signed up for this deal and just received and email about $3.99/ year Outside Magazine subscriptions.

https://www.tanga.com/deals/547ae62db9c/outside-magazine-subscription?utm_source=Tanga+Emails&utm_campaign=337c48a118-Mag_XSell_Backpacker_Sep_notice_1&utm_medium=email

Use the code: EXPLORE and you should be all set.

Postby Dave B » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:07 pm

Sweet Deal.

Too bad I decided to never again subscribe to Backpacker after last months "survival guide" which was more of a Teen-Bop Bear Grylls P.O.S.

Backpacker used to be a shallow, outdoor gear ad insertion device with random excursions into actual information. Now it's just lame.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby Bean » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:09 pm

Dave B wrote:Backpacker used to be a shallow, outdoor gear ad insertion device with random excursions into actual information. Now it's just lame.

I was going to say something along the lines of there is no such thing as a "sweet deal" on a magazine (things like the ski journal and alpinist are awesome, and guess what - no $0.34/issue deals exist) but you hit the nail on the head.

How good can a magazine be if you're getting it for less than the cost of shipping?
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Doug Shaw » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:32 pm

Bean wrote:How good can a magazine be if you're getting it for less than the cost of shipping?

The question to ask is: good for who?

We are not the consumers, we are the product. Making us pay anything at all for it is just double-dipping.

Sure, it may only cost $4 for a billion issues, but meanwhile your information is being sold to every marketing firm under the sun. One day you'll wonder how the hell Wanda's Whip Emporium got your mailing address and why in the heck you get so much spam in your email. It's a complete mystery!

Postby dehrlich101 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:58 am

DO NOT USE TANGA TO ORDER MAGAZINE SUBSCRIPTIONS!!!!

I tried ordering two years of backpacker magazine from them last year in September. I did not receive my magazines after the 14 weeks that they said it would take. I followed up with them and they said they'd take care of it... Still no magazine... Followed up with them again and again.. Now it's almost a year later and no magazine.

I asked that they issue me a refund, and instead of refunding me the money they charged me again! I made a fraud claim with my bank, now they'll take care of it. It's been a pain in the ass, do not order anything from this company.
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

Postby MUni Rider » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:26 am

I'm curious how many others got scammed, or maybe "auto-subscribed" for $30 or more annually. I fell for one of these companies years ago. The only way I got them off my tail completely was to close the account after I moved banks, something I was doing anyway.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Previous