Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Jacket Fit

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Jacket Fit

Postby ledhead69 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:20 pm

Hey y'all,

I recently took advantage of the a sweet sale on Backcountry, and got a long overdue insulated jacket. It arrived yesterday and renewed my frustration with getting jackets that never fit quite right. If I get a Large, the sleeves stop around my forearms, if I get an Extra Large, I can fit a few people along with me in the jacket.

So for you tall, lanky guys with long arms out there, have you found a solution to this problem? Is there a company out there that makes more precise sizes like you can get with dress shirts (Large, Tall)? Or a make that generally has longer arms than others? Maybe I just need to get really fat...

Thanks for your help.

-Joe

Re: Jacket Fit

Postby prestone818 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:32 pm

Patagonia jackets have a slim fit for some. Fits me perfect, 6'4" 200lbs, long arms.

I gave up on North Face due to the sleeves always being too tight/short. I have been adding more Patagonia to my closet, i love the fit on most. Arcteryx also has a favorable fit for me.

Edit-marmot also isn't bad, but the Patagonia fit on me is better

Postby MuchosPixels » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:41 pm

Hi, im tall and lanky and I have found that First Ascent (Large, Long) fits me perfectly. I also had a good fit with a RAB shell in Large size. The Patagonia stuff is waaay to loose for me and tend to have a boxy fit. Id also look into Arcteryx. Their XL stuff should fit you. Look for the Athletic fit pieces.

Postby WillV » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:00 pm

I'm 6'3", 190 lbs. I like Arc'teryx and Marmot.

Depending on your insulation needs, for synthetic I suggest the Arc'teryx Atom LT or SV. When active, I wear the LT in summer and the SV in the colder months. For down, you can't go wrong with the Marmot Zeus and Marmot Ama Dablam. If you need insulation and weather resistance try the Marmot Mountain Down Jacket. I own all these jackets in a size Large and can vouch for the fit and level of quality. Arc'teryx uses gusseted underarms in the design of a lot of their jackets (in the Atom) and Marmot uses their Angel Wing Movement technology to allow for range of movement. These design features really help if you're a tall person and is something I always look for in a jacket. They might be worth checking out.

I have found The North Face to be too short and baggy for me. Mountain Hardwear is hit and miss. Never really tried Patagonia as I'm not too drawn to their color choices.

Postby Cruiser » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:31 pm

Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby ledhead69 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:27 pm

Thanks for all the replies! Looks like I haven't been doing myself any favors with TNF. I've never looked to carefully at Arcteryx as the price normally turns me off, but at this point, I will pay a premium for something that actually fits (I'm sure the money goes somewhere...). Also, I'm quite intrigued by "Beyond Clothing." Anyone have personal experience with these guys?

Thanks again.

-Joe

Postby ryanmicj » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:22 pm

I've had good luck with Eddie Bauer tall sizes, though it seems that they've changed their sizing in the past year or so and I'm having less luck recently. I have a Mountain Hardwear (not a tall size, though) shell that fits perfectly over a FA fleece. Sierra Trading Post carries a reasonable amount of Columbia tall sizes, but I'm not sure what Columbia makes in the way tall size jackets.

I feel your pain, though. I'm 6'4", 225 and am constantly returning stuff, but I don't bother buying in stores because no one carries tall sizes (except EB). Don't go the "get fat" route, though - it hasn't worked for me despite my best efforts #-o

Postby Dave B » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:33 am

ledhead69 wrote:Also, I'm quite intrigued by "Beyond Clothing." Anyone have personal experience with these guys?
-Joe

I, personally, have not dealt with Beyond, but I have friends who have and have heard nothing but positive things about the service and quality. The one major downside is that it can take up to two months to receive your garment and modifications can take another month (if needed). All in all not a bad deal for a custom piece of outerwear.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby gzrrnnr » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:48 am

From reading the posts, looks like being able to try on the jacket is paramount to determining what kind of fit it has. For what is worth, I always get a jacket that will fit over my day pack, for rain protection. That means my jackets are about always large or XL even though I am not. But I can get a Nano jacket or vest on under the jacket with no problem, and the sleeves extend over my hands for additional warmth in the wind and rain. Style does not mean much in the wind, rain, and snow.

Postby mikey » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:26 pm

My personal experience with Beyond is great, both in terms of product and customer service. I have one of the Cold Fusion jackets and the fit is fantastic. They guarantee the fit and back it up (I had adjustments made after they made the coat). If you end up ordering a jacket from them, I would suggest getting your measurements from a tailor or suit/tux shop.

If you're looking for a insulated soft shell, you might want to look at the Patagonia Northwall jacket. 50% off and it has a trim fit with LONG sleeves. I tried one of these on in the Boulder Patagonia store and I was quite impressed. Great fitting hood with or without a helmet.
http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-northwall-jacket?p=83260-1-265
Good judgement comes from experience......experience comes from bad judgement

Postby TomPierce » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:35 pm

I suspect Cruiser and I are getting weary of banging the Beyond drum, but IMO IF (a big if) they have the piece you need, they just cannot be beat. But the selections are limited, they don't try to span the gamut of need. I don't recall if they even offer a hardshell, for example, but their desert/summer climbing pants are superb. For the winter softshell warrior there's nothing that equals what they offer. And if you're really nice they might customize beyond customizing (pun intended...e.g. they not only built in suspender loops on my softshell winter pants, they even found suspenders, for a reasonable price).

All my opinions, of course.
-Tom

Postby prestone818 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:41 pm

I own the northwall, the slim fit seems like it was made for me. The interior is an R2, the material doesn't really glide against my t shirt or base layer as much as i would like it to. But probably the best fitting jacket i own.

Next