Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

DeLorme "In-Reach"

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

DeLorme "In-Reach"

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:05 am

Was reading Back-Packer magazine and saw an ad for DeLorme's "In-Reach":

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?item=31805#pagetop

Was curious if anyone has one and what they thought. Price seems about on par with the Spot-Finder. The 2-way messaging (if linked w/ an Android phone) seems to be an improvement. Now that I've had a spot finder for 2 years I'm wondering how green the grass is over there or if I'm just suffering from gadget-envy.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Re: DeLorme "In-Reach"

Postby Nelson » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:57 am

SPOT has a satellite tracker that pairs with a smart phone.

My SPOT actually pairs with a Delorme GPS so I can send specific "ad hoc" messages.

The only thing you have to decide is "how good the response center is". The SPOT center has been around for a while and is proven.

Postby CO Native » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:01 am

Two way messaging can be a huge difference in an emergency, possibly even replacing the need for a satellite phone. It can also ruin a wilderness experience by keeping you too connected.

If I didn't have one yet I'd go with the in-reach, but I have a SPOT and I don't think the difference justifies buying something else.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby dsunwall » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:20 am

Worldwide satellite coverage
The inReach relies on the Iridium satellite network. Iridium's whole earth coverage far surpass that of other satellite systems allowing two-way messaging, delivery confirmation, and pole-to-pole global connection.

Iridium has got to be better than Globalstar which Spot uses, where you only get a connection every 20 minutes. I don't know anyone that has used inReach though. If I was to buy another I would try the inReach..........I think.

Postby Tango2Hotel » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:25 am

I just used my Inreach over the weekend for the first time. Some thoughts:

1. Super nice to be able to send a text to my girl at the TH and to get a personal message back from her.
2. We had to turn back at 13,026(a mere 1.3K from the summit) due to weather. I was able to communicate this and honestly with the heightened level of risk, I was happy someone knew it.
3. The android interface is not the greatest. Typically my phone had an error message that it was "Sending a location" from the earthmate app and would not go away. In the field I thought this was an actual error. However, when I got back to the website, all of the markers seemed to be there. I have a feeling this is the App and will just activate the tracker on the Standalone unit prospectively.
4. The website is very cool and the maps are amazing on the phone. I will probably never buy another trail map.
5. The text messaging plan I picked up limits my messages so I am not talking about the cat on a 14er. I thought the plans offered by the company were well thought out. But I still need to master what is free and what costs which is a little confusing at this point.

Overall, I am happy about this purchase so far. I also do moast of my mountains solo so this makes my family and close firends happier.

Postby dsunwall » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:51 am

good to know, thanks for the review. Do you know of any cases where someone used the in-reach for a 911 call?

Postby Tango2Hotel » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:42 pm

dsunwall wrote:good to know, thanks for the review. Do you know of any cases where someone used the in-reach for a 911 call?

No and I never Hope to! I had a second excursion where I actually summited La Plata Peak. I learned a couple more things but still need to test some theories. Mt Lindsey and I are going to get acquainted this upcoming weekend so i will have some more after that.

Cheers and Remember...Safety has no Holiday!

Postby Tango2Hotel » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:27 pm

Since this seems to be the only thread on the delorme in reach…Here is an updated after 4 trips with the device.

First, the Android interface is very very bad. The Delorme software or the android platform is horrible and is constantly in error. It is so bad, I find myself uninstalling, reinstalling, unpairing, and pairing the device before every trip. I also have developed a method to test extensively the interface before I leave my home. I test gear anyway before I depart but this requires a significant time investment. Maybe it’s worth it to have the communication but its rather frustrating. Needless to say, I hope they invested more in the SOS functionality than the messaging. It is not a great confidence builder for if I used this in a REAL emergency and not texting.

Second, the delorme.explore website currently does not work on the gfs mac computer at all. Not sure if this is mac or delorme software problem but it is present none the less and no resources are available to assist and yes, I exhausted every avenue I could(forums, tech support, apple javascript tech support).

Third, I love the tracking and am able to crush data regarding my hikes to help me better plan ascents. For example, on the crestone peak, the red gulley I know takes me X so if I have a comparable ascent, I can better plan for the timing of the trip. I can also quantify extracurricular activities such as time spent looking for a campsite.

Fourth, the battery life is astounding especially with lithium ions.

Fifth and Finally, in the field. To avoid a error and having a IDK if the message went through I turn it off, turn on my cell, wait for that to get online, then turn on the device, wait for the Bluetooth to connect and then attempt what I need to do. This seems to be the best SOP for the device thus far.

Still worth the $ but more so for the peace of mind it gives those who care about me.

Cheers and remember Safety Has no holiday!

Postby AKA617 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:30 pm

There is an excellent product review available on WildSnow.com (Lou Dawson's backcountry skiing blog).

Link below:

http://www.wildsnow.com/7796/inreach-delorme-review-reach/

Postby Roald » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:55 pm

I switched from SPOT to the DeLorme unit 2 months ago and have been very pleased. No issues at all with the Android interface, so your problems might be device specific. The topo map displayed on the device during tracking even has trails on it, so you can see exactly where you are on the trail, not just a point on a topo map. I think that's a cool feature. They have recently done some firmware updates to improve the battery life and they have also improve the web based tracking map for the PC. Overall, I would highly recommend the Inreach.
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.

Postby GregMiller » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:42 pm

I know they're supposed to have an iphone app now as well - anyone have any experience with that?
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby dsunwall » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:26 am

Strengths
-If and when you find yourself deep in a cave the inReach has a better chance of sending out a message then any other sat phone or similar messenger on the market. Just a ray of sunlight peeking in vertically or horizontally is all the inReach needs to indicate it can send out a message using an Iridium satellite whizzing past. (That being said I could not get the device to NOT send out a message. My only thought here was to find myself in a subterranean cave, building, or warehouse with no windows or doors to block all sat signals)
We will no longer have to cut off our arms when trapped in a slot canyon.

That WildSnow review was very informative, the last post in comments was interesting as well.

The good/bad of an Android OS. I have noticed that different brands of phones have slightly different operating systems, some apps have hiccups with certain models. The Delorme app may work well on most but have a problem with some. just a guess on my part.