Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Whens the next 20% REI coupon?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Whens the next 20% REI coupon?

Postby gonzalj » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:01 pm

Definitely excited to use part of my dividend for a gopro. Does anyone out there have any opinions on the original gopro hero vs. the new gopro hero 2? I've heard that from a video & picture quality that there's not much of a difference, but wanted to see if any of you have any opinions on this subject?

Postby Carl » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:27 pm

gonzalj wrote:Definitely excited to use part of my dividend for a gopro. Does anyone out there have any opinions on the original gopro hero vs. the new gopro hero 2? I've heard that from a video & picture quality that there's not much of a difference, but wanted to see if any of you have any opinions on this subject?

Lighting and color is noticeably better with the Hero 2. I've shot in low and flat light and it still turned out pretty clear. These folks do a nice comparison http://pointofviewcameras.com/blog/pov/article/gopro-hd-hero-vs-hd-hero2-video-comparison/

edit to add... battery life sucks with the Hero 2 though

Postby Bean » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:01 pm

Carl wrote:Lighting and color is noticeably better with the Hero 2. I've shot in low and flat light and it still turned out pretty clear. These folks do a nice comparison http://pointofviewcameras.com/blog/pov/article/gopro-hd-hero-vs-hd-hero2-video-comparison/

How bad is your battery life? I've had it crap out on me super-fast before and I've also had it last almost 2.5 hours in the freezer.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Carl » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:18 pm

Bean wrote:
Carl wrote:Lighting and color is noticeably better with the Hero 2. I've shot in low and flat light and it still turned out pretty clear. These folks do a nice comparison http://pointofviewcameras.com/blog/pov/article/gopro-hd-hero-vs-hd-hero2-video-comparison/

How bad is your battery life? I've had it crap out on me super-fast before and I've also had it last almost 2.5 hours in the freezer.

What kind of movies are you making in a freezer? Hope it's a walk-in. I probably only got 30 minutes worth of video before it started flashing on Sunday. And for the most part it was only on when I was ready to film.

Postby gonzalj » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:19 pm

Carl wrote:
gonzalj wrote:Definitely excited to use part of my dividend for a gopro. Does anyone out there have any opinions on the original gopro hero vs. the new gopro hero 2? I've heard that from a video & picture quality that there's not much of a difference, but wanted to see if any of you have any opinions on this subject?

Lighting and color is noticeably better with the Hero 2. I've shot in low and flat light and it still turned out pretty clear. These folks do a nice comparison http://pointofviewcameras.com/blog/pov/article/gopro-hd-hero-vs-hd-hero2-video-comparison/

Thanks for that Carl and just liked Bean asked, what kind of battery life have you gotten?

Postby Bean » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:19 pm

Carl wrote:What kind of movies are you making in a freezer? Hope it's a walk-in. I probably only got 30 minutes worth of video before it started flashing on Sunday. And for the most part it was only on when I was ready to film.

That's about as bad as I was getting at first. I was just testing it out in the freezer, though the constant total blackness may have made it easier on the camera. A battery bacpac is going to be mandatory with these things.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Carl » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:30 pm

gonzalj wrote:Thanks for that Carl and just liked Bean asked, what kind of battery life have you gotten?

I just checked and I only got 19 minutes on a full charge on Sunday at 960p / 30fps before the battery indicator starting flashing low. That is split between about 15 videos with minimal down time in between without powering it off. It was about 20 degrees with a decent breeze but I don't think that was the issue. On a recent cat trip on a slightly warmer day I got 20 minutes 30 seconds before it powered off. Would be nice if it's user error, since the battery life sure is poor.

Postby tmathews » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:16 am

20% coupon available starting today. Remember -- make separate purchases to use it more than once!

Also -- please remember to use 14ers.com's affiliate link if you are ordering online. Bill is trying to fund the site based on the 14ers.com store and revenue generated through purchases made by us on affiliate sites, so every little bit helps.

Postby funkymonkey1111 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:49 pm

There's also a coupon in late summer--usually around labor day.

Postby TravelingMatt » Mon May 14, 2012 4:04 pm

Just got a mailing with a new 20% off coupon. Valid May 18-28.

www.rei.com/coupon
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby prestone818 » Mon May 14, 2012 4:07 pm

TravelingMatt wrote:Just got a mailing with a new 20% off coupon. Valid May 18-28.

www.rei.com/coupon

yup got mine saturday. the sale is only 3 days.

Postby TravelingMatt » Mon May 14, 2012 4:15 pm

prestone818 wrote:yup got mine saturday. the sale is only 3 days.

Pretty sure that's the sale on the REI online outlet. Website says the coupon is good May 18-28 and the flyer uses these dates for the general sale too. I don't remember a 20% off coupon that wasn't good over at least two weekends.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

PreviousNext