Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Infants on Pikes?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Infants on Pikes?

Postby cheeseburglar » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:46 pm

Does anyone have any experience taking a baby, say maybe 5-6 week old, up Pikes?
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Re: Infants on Pikes?

Postby tenpins » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:34 am

check with your pediatrician. Mine told us that it is not recommended to take them to altitude until at least 1 year old.

Postby tlongpine » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:56 am

Why? Why would you want to do that?

Postby usfgal » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:58 pm

My daughter is 3-1/2, and we have taken her up 12 14ers, all class 1 and 2 peaks, in addition to some peaks outside of CO (plus, several backpacking trips, other hiking trips, etc.) She was a January birthday, so her first summit was Yale in June of 2008--she was a little over 5 months old then. We talked to our pediatrician, as well as a few other medical professionals. Everyone we talked to said the same thing: it likely would not be problematic, but they also shared with us warning signs to look for. We never had any issues, no warning signs, nothing. Every trip with her has been wonderful, fulfilling, and I wouldn't trade these memories and experiences for anything. (Be warned, though - as they get older and bigger, carrying them becomes really tough!!!) In my opinion, I think you should talk to the pediatrician, become familiar with the warning signs, and use caution. There is always disagreement about whether it is "right" or "wrong" to do this; I wouldn't worry about the personal opinions of anyone else. It didn't seem to me that you asked for that, anyway. As far as experience with babies on 14ers, I can tell you from mine, I think it is great, and I can appreciate why you want to do it. My baby girl was older than 5-6 weeks when we first started her, so I can't speak to the safety of doing it with one that young. Talk to your pediatrician, though. Good luck!!

Postby juliaf » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:17 pm

This is a neat trip report I read: http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=10711&parmpeak=Grays+Peak&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include

5-6 weeks sounds a little young to me, but it can't hurt to ask a doctor or two.
You are not what you were born, but what you have it in yourself to be.

Postby Fleischco » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:19 pm

I thought that the tollway would not allow a child under a certain age (4 or 6 months?) but the Cog Railway does NOT have any restrictions. We took our daughter at under a year old (don't remember exact age in months) but we turned back after watching her and seeing her lips turn blue. She was also born 6 weeks early so that may have had an impact.

Postby Craig Cook » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:25 pm

Wish I could help you more, but my wife and I waited until our daughter was 3 before she got to go to the top of Pikes Peak. And she rode with my wife on the cog while I hiked - I couldn't even imagine trying to carry her for 13 miles! :lol:

Best of luck to you, no matter what you decide. :D
Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Postby mtn_hikin » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:04 am

Just make sure you keep them leashed...

Postby djkest » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:53 pm

mtn_hikin wrote:Just make sure you keep them leashed...

Why? No one bothers to leash their dogs anymore. And that's actually required by law...
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby fluxrad » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:57 pm

Don't do it. From my understanding, taking infants up to altitude can potentially screw with heart development. I asked our pediatrician about taking our son up above 9,000 feet from Denver before he was a few months old and he advised against it. As always, your pediatrician is probably best equipped to help you decide.

It's probably a super low percentage issue, but why would you even risk it?
"It is seldom liberty of any kind that is lost all at once."
-David Hume

Postby JE242 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:01 pm

juliaf wrote:This is a neat trip report I read: http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=10711&parmpeak=Grays+Peak&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include

5-6 weeks sounds a little young to me, but it can't hurt to ask a doctor or two.

5-6 weeks is a lot too young. This is selfish and dumb as hell. I'm not saying that hiking with a child that young is bad. My wife and I took our daughter out quite often @ this age. But not "up there". The effects of the altitude weren't our only concerns (we live @ 9,000ft). Look, if mountain goats don't bring their babies up that high until they are @ least a month old, humans shouldn't either.

Postby djkest » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:47 pm

This is good info, btw. There was a thread about this before, don't remember what it started as though.

Congrats on your baby! I have a little one on the way as well.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Next