Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Winter Boots - Recommendations?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Winter Boots - Recommendations?

Postby Theodore » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:50 am

Thanks for the link, Terry. I just swapped my old green superfeet from my last boots, the fit isn't quite there. I'll have to try the pink... errr red ones!

Postby Kiefer » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:57 am

I'll third the Mount Blanc's. I wore them for about 6-8 months around town & around the house before I really started to abuse them outside.
They fit like a glove now! I could actually wear them all day and not tire of them. Expensive, but damn worth the price IMO.
"Wisdom comes from making mistakes.
Experience, is the knowledge of knowing what to do when one makes a mistake and wisdom,
stems from the changes we go through while learning from those mistakes."

Postby schrund » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:11 am

I've had great success with both custom footbeds as well as molded liners. I put Intuition Denali liners in my Scarpa Inverno's and they added considerable warmth. I also have had great success with Super Gaiters, combined with footbeds and liners the super gaiters also added considerable warmth. It allowed me to upgrade the boots I already had instead of buying a whole new boot.
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby marie123 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:51 pm

tmathews - awesome, thanks a ton for the recommendations on the cold weather insoles. I've read that the ones that come in the nepal's aren't great, so this is the perfect replacement.

Postby davebks » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:33 pm

I have the Spantiks for my cold weather climbs. Used them in Nepal and Peru and they worked great on both trips. Actually in Peru 4/5 of us had Spantiks.
For warmer I have the Salewa Ravens. Great boots too.

I tried on the Evos and they didn't fit me very well. Id say go try on some boots and get what fits best. Fit is king for sure. As for the big peaks like AC, youll need a double for sure.

Postby sgladbach » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:19 pm

To the more casual winter climber:

I post this every year, but only convince one or two each year. 90% of Colorado's winter 14ers do not require a $475 boot. I've climbed several hundred winter peaks over 13,000' in soft-soled inexpensive, well insulated boots and had NO problems. I'm talking everything from Quandary, Sherman, and Elbert to Little Bear, Capitol, and Pyramid. I also wore them on Acongogua.

They accept a strap-on crampon. Because winter snow is drier and softer than hard spring snow, it is easy to kick steps (on those routes that even require such efforts.) For multi-day trips, there are tricks to assure dry boots in the morning.

Here's my recommendation to anyone from novice to advanced-intermediate winter climbers. Spend $130 or less and get a comfortable soft-leather boot insulated to -40 (-40C = -40F !!!) Typically such a boot will have 400g Thinsulate or similar insulation.

Here are some examples:

Men:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/kamik-milwaukee-pac-boots-waterproof-insulated-for-men~p~2786j/reviews/2/#reviewsTab

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sorel-timberwolf-winter-boots-waterproof-insulated-for-men~p~2691j/?filterString=mens-winter-and-snow-boots~d~458%2F

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/khombu-summit-2-boots-lace-ups-for-men~p~2820u/?filterString=mens-winter-and-snow-boots~d~458%2F

Women:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/kamik-wausau-winter-boots-waterproof-insulated-for-women~p~3632j/?filterString=womens-winter-and-snow-boots~d~672%2F

Try it, you'll like it!!,

Steve
Last edited by sgladbach on Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

Postby wooderson » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:29 pm

sgladbach wrote: Try it, you'll like it!!

I took your advice last winter Steve and picked up a pair of ~$135 Merril Whiteout boots w/ 400g insulation as you suggested. They keep my feet toasty warm and are very comfortable. Prior to that I had some Sorrels that were also fine but a little too sloppy on the foot. For basic winter slogs, something fairly inexpensive and well insulated like this does the trick.

Postby marie123 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:43 am

Thanks for the advice everyone. I went with the Nepal's for now - figure I can get plastics once I get closer to Aconcagua. Another question - since these are a leather boot - would you recommend spraying waterproofing on them, for the additional protection, or does that somehow ruin the integrity of the boot?

Postby SurfNTurf » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:46 am

I use Nikwax for my leather boots and it's awesome.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby ngoodnight » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:04 am

marie123 wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone. I went with the Nepal's for now - figure I can get plastics once I get closer to Aconcagua. Another question - since these are a leather boot - would you recommend spraying waterproofing on them, for the additional protection, or does that somehow ruin the integrity of the boot?

Nepal's have silicone impregnated leather, which is already waterproof. I've abused my Nepal's in pretty much all conditions (snow, water, mud, etc.) with no leather treatment, and they're doing just fine. However, if you want to be extra careful....some of the bottled Nikwax (not the really oily stuff in the tube, which IMO is best for older leather that needs serious help) can help prevent breakdown.

Previous