Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Lens suggestions for mountain photography

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Lens suggestions for mountain photography

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:14 pm

nyker wrote:Which Canon models have you used? I was actually looking for a P&S to use in a digiscoping setup, where an SLR is not very practical.

I think it was the 790 that I really loved - got rid of it and wishing I hadn't - couldn't find another one; not current production.

It's replacement for me is the 1200. The 1200 has a lot of issues - but at 4 oz, it's my #1 candidate for winter 14ers. It will also shoot when nothing else will - like in 5 degrees and 50 mph winds.

Lag is an issue germaine to the variety - some better than others, but most all P&S cameras will far underperform SLRs in this department. Auto-focus issues have not been too bad in reasonably low light with the Canons.

The "better" camera is the SX 110. It has the older Digic III which offers a more lteral rendering than the new Digic IV processor - the latter being a little more painter-like - but you won't see the differences except at very high crop ratios. The SX 110 and it's newer counterparts have long tele lengths (10x - 36-360mm equivalent for the SX 110) which is impressive. We were out at the garden today, and went over to look at a route I retro'd in 97. It was late, but not last light, and with the full zoom I was able to get some great zoomed images where we could see the condition of the hardware 100' off the deck - even on the 3" viewer. The camera also sports full manual mode, and uses a pair of AA batteries - handy because you can sub the lithiums for lighter weight and more shots. Total weight is about 9 oz. It's still compact enough to fit in the hip-belt pocket of the pack for 14ers.

I had a G9 for a while - great camera. Quite a bit heavier. Lots of flexibility and capabilities the others don't have. However, the lens, if I recall, was not great, and really no better if even as good as the SX 110 lens. All of these will demonstrate chromatic aberration and most have a significant degree of barrel distortion at wide angle. That darned 1200 has some serious vignetting in one of the corners - though pretty repairable in PS.

Overall the best camera for the weight that I've used has probably been the SX 110.

You might also look into the micro four-thirds format. If it catches on and they get a better assortment of lenses, it could be a good thing for SLR performance with smaller size and weight.

Postby Paragon4 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:05 pm

So I have been reading this thread for close to an hour and honestly, I'm a bit confused. So I will just ask: I have no experience with photography. My sister is lending me her Canon D90 with an aspherical 24-70mm lense. I'm researching heavily to find out the best way to get a good mountain sunrise/sunset shot - typically I would just gain the summit and call it good but I'm getting over a respiratory infection. Any straight forward advice is appreciated. I am prepared to buy a different lens.

Postby Paragon4 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:09 pm

Correction: it is a Canon 20D

Postby Bean » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:32 pm

Paragon4 wrote:24-70mm lens

If it's the 24-70 I'm thinking of, that's a killer friggin' lens and will be just fine.

Postby pman » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:42 pm

above 12,000 u may want to under exspose 2 stops cos of the wierd atmosphere and in winter over exspose 2 stops to compensate for the light reflected of the snow

Postby Paragon4 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:55 pm

It definitely looks pretty grand. I keep seeing posts about ultra wide this and that. Like I said. I don't know much

Previous