Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Checklist & Weights - Shoeshoeing, Mountaineering

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Checklist & Weights - Shoeshoeing, Mountaineering

Postby Dex » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:45 pm

bckcntryskr wrote:Very nice list. I always take a warm pair of mittens in the pack and sometimes 2 pairs of "skinnning" gloves, one in the pack and the other on my hands. Do you have 24" of wire in your repair kit, very valuable stuff in the field...Thanks for sharing.

Wire - no. I never heard it mentioned. What can it be used for? What type?
Thanks

I've change my hand covering to:
thin liner gloves
OR PL 400 gloves
Black Diamond - Hard shell gloves - they are old - I don't remember the name - rubber palm; shell back
I change them up according to the needs.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby BIO_KNEE » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:41 pm

Nice list. I would have to add the 1.5 lbs for my mechanical knees. But otherwise very nice.
"It is whom the meal is shared with, not what is eaten that makes it special." - Epicurus

Postby ClimbandMine » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:23 pm

4 lb sleeping bag?

headlamp AND flashlight?

hat AND balaclava AND bandana?

thermo mug AND waterbottle?

emergency blanket? (ya got a bivy bag and sleeping bag on the list)

Go with a smaller pack - for 2-3 nights or less, you just don't need that much stuff unless its the middle of winter. Small pack = lighter load.
I don't care that you Tele.

Postby Dex » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:46 pm

ClimbandMine wrote:4 lb sleeping bag?

Not bad for a zero degree bag - what did you have in mind.

ClimbandMine wrote:headlamp AND flashlight?

Flashlight is a single "AA" battery size for back up.

ClimbandMine wrote:hat AND balaclava AND bandana?

Depends upon what's needed. The bandana for whatever.

ClimbandMine wrote:thermo mug AND waterbottle?

Thermo mug for eating hot food. Water bottle for when purifying water - not always taken along.

ClimbandMine wrote:emergency blanket? (ya got a bivy bag and sleeping bag on the list)

Some things should have back up - a 6oz emergency blanket is worth it.

ClimbandMine wrote:Go with a smaller pack - for 2-3 nights or less, you just don't need that much stuff unless its the middle of winter. Small pack = lighter load.

Well yea...
"I had some time on my hands so I thought I would put together a checklist and weights for shoeshoeing/mountaineering (no rope or ice climbing)."
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby bckcntryskr » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:08 am

Wire - Malleable "hardware" wire, can be used for everything from stitching pack straps to replacing broken binding parts, snowshoes and general fastening. Light enough to not be a burden and useful enough to make it a prime addition to your repair kit...$0.02.
Did I mention that "I hate postholing"

Postby tmathews » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:39 pm

Damn, they don't appear to have a distributor in the US. I would have liked to have given that chicken curried rice a try. :|

Postby prestone818 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:33 am

Dex wrote:
Greenhouseguy wrote:Just a thought - does your Swiss Army knife do anything that your multi-tool doesn't do? You may be carrying extra weight if there is too much overlap between the capabilities of the tools. The list seems to be pretty well thought out.

Your're right - I'll drop the swiss army knife.

typically the knife on a multi-tool isnt the greatest. i normally carry a combat knife similar to this...http://www.rockynational.com/6111_30-000183_Gerber_LHR_Combat_Knife.html

if i am with a group i will leave it in my backpack but if im by myself i will keep it on my leg. plus if you run into a hungry mt lion try opening your multi-tool with it clawing at your face. its worth the extra weight to me.

Postby mountainmicah83 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:14 am

Dex,

Your list will vary obviously in different seasons. It would help if you specify what time of year this is for and also keep in mind that weather plays a part. That being said, you have a pretty decent list that just needs to slim down a bit. Please take all of my suggestions with a grain of salt. They are not best practices and rather just what I do. You asked though. Also, if anyone disagrees, I would love to hear why so I can better my skills as well.

1. Sox- Why not just sleep in your "extra" dry socks instead of bringing the 3rd pair. Do you really need 3 pr for 2 days?
2. Pants- In Colorado, I have never needed more than a shell and 1 lightweight polypropeline base layer. If you are colder, you may want up to capilene 4 or fleece pants under. In summer, obviously you only need light weight non-cotton bottoms. I recommend cheap sierra designs or equivalend rain pants in summer if you don't have a shell.
3. Underwear- 1 pair would be fine for 2 days. If you don't agree, turn them inside out :D
4. Jackets- You either need a goretex type waterproof shell or a lightweight marmot precip or similar in summer. How are you going to stay dry?
5. Fleece- Great for summer but you have a softshell. Don't need both. Winter add a puff jacket.
6. Hat- Winter obviously you need a warmer hat whereas summer you don't.
7. Sunglasses- need to add goggles in winter.
8. Bivy under layer? is this necessary?
9. Flashlight? really. You have a headlamp.
10. Crampons. Maybe- depends on conditions
11. Swiss army knife. No. You have a multi-tool.
12. Fire kit? is this more than a flint and lighter?
13. Wipes? what for- only 2 days. choose wipes or hand gel.
14. Toothbrush/paste- no. If you are solo, who will you offend. Just rinse your mouth with whiskey.
15. Soap- no. Rinse your pot with boiled water. Clean it when you get home.
16. Paracord- is this enough to tie up one of your stuff sacks as a bear bag?

You should not have this much weight when you don't have a tent.

In the past, I have been a guy who brings way too much stuff. Your list looks great compared to what I used to carry. It has taken me trial and error to figure out what I really need.

emergency blanket? (ya got a bivy bag and sleeping bag on the list)

I was going to say this too but you may want to leave this at your camp to keep your gear dry meaning you may want that e-blanket.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com

Postby Dex » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:50 am

mountainmicah83 wrote:Dex,

Your list will vary obviously in different seasons.

Thanks for taking the time to write the suggestions. I pretty much decided against overnight winter camping. I'd rather a long day hike than the discomfort of overnight camping. But, I would do something like the John Muir trail.

I do like some redundancy - small AAA light and headlamp. I just got a Personal Location Beacon for safety. I'll look at your other suggestions.
Thanks again
Montani Semper Liberi

Previous