Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

double-bagging it

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

double-bagging it

Postby pvnisher » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:44 pm

I've been thinking of doubling up my two existing 3-season bags to create one winter-ish bag. I have a 20deg down (but is really more like 40... it weighs 2.5 lbs with 550 fill down, no way is it 20 degs, but I digress), and a 15-year-old synthetic, also 20degs.

If I use the down as the inner bag and drape the synth over as a quilt, I will definitely lose some loft. Likewise, if I use the synth as the inner and drape the down on top, I lose because I don't have the warmer bag zipped and snug.

So which layering system is better?

(and yes, I know about sleeping pads, hot water bottles, hats, jackets, dry clothes, chem. heaters... 8) )

Re: double-bagging it

Postby rlw49 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:49 pm

I tried the synthetic over down one year in elk camp. The top bag kept sliding off, so you really need a mechanism to keep it in place. While it was in place, the two bags did keep me warm. Though as much as I toss and turn, it didn't stay on too much.
Good luck
Oh yeah, the temps that year were below freezing and I wasn't using my propane heater in the tent at night.

Postby montana1000 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:05 pm

is their a reason that you don't want to get a cold weather bag? Just curious. it seems like a lot of extra weight to carry. You could also use a bivy. but they make you kinda clamy.

Postby pvnisher » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:48 pm

Reasons are purely monetary. :x
I've tried my down jacket and booties inside of the down bag, but it's not quite warm enough for really cold nights, esp on the snow.
Right now I have more strength than money. :cry:

Postby d_baker » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:59 pm

pvnisher wrote:not quite warm enough for really cold nights, esp on the snow

Are you using two pads to sleep on?
(Closed-cell on bottom, thermarest or big agness or exped on top.)
I saw your OP comments, but it doesn't specify what you're doing with the pads.

I've used a synthetic 15 degree bag with olddd bags thrown on top of me and it worked. Although that was at Barr Camp while sleeping in an A-frame, using bags that the previous caretakers loaned out. Therefore, I didn't have to carry an extra bag.

Postby Prairie Native » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:32 pm

Are they both mummy cut? i used my crappy summer bag inside of my crappy "winter" bag (a 35 dollar purchase) a year ago before i bought my nice bag this year. It actually worked really well. With a "0" degree bag (id only trust it to 35 or so) and a 50 degree bag inside i was comfortable down to around 0 or so. Im also a really cold sleeper. I had a liner inside the bag and a foam mattress on top of the snow. I actually loved the set up but it was around 15 pounds total and now with my nice down bag and blow up mattress its around 4 pounds to be comfortable to about -15 or so. I would just use it in the backyard if i were you before going out. Make sure you have room for all the extra gear you will need.
Something witty.

Postby Prairie Native » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:34 pm

Will they not fit inside of eachother? that is how my above setup worked. I would say that the down on the inside is the best idea if it will, considering you WILL have condensation. Bring a liner as well, it will help tremendously.
Something witty.

Postby rangerdrew » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:29 am

I had the same problem when I first started sleeping in the snow. I had a 20 degree down bag, but slept like a 40. I used therm-a-rest trail lite and Z-rest pads, two hot water bottles, my down jacket, and a bivy sack. This combination of items did nothing to alleviate the winter cold.

I started using a space blanket inside of my bag for winter camping. The problem I ran into was that it worked too well, I would wake up sweating and wet. The best way I found was to put the space blanket between my bag and bivy. I was still a little cold, but could sleep much better.

You might try this and see if it works for you. A space blanket sure beats having to carry around two bags.
I don't commute by bicycle everyday out of goodwill for the environment. Although, it is a positive externality. ~rangerdrew

ronefatone

Postby ronefatone » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:56 am

ohhhh I thought this thread was going to be VERY different when I first read the title! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Postby lodidodi » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:44 pm

Doublebag those one nighters

Postby pvnisher » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:40 pm

Both bags are mummy cut, and don't fit inside each other well enough to fully zip up without tremendously compressing the loft of the inside bag.

For pads I'm using a closed cell ridgerest on bottom and thermarest on top. Still cold with a down jacket w/hood, boiling Nalgene, and chem heater. So I'm looking around to see if I can get by without buying new gear. I may just have to try the two bags and see how it goes, but waking up freezing and having to start the stove to get some warm water to drink and warm up is a pain!

All told 2 bags and 2 pads is quite heavy and bulky, no doubt. But the 300+ clams for a new winter bag is a little much.

Postby Wilderness_hike » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:25 pm

I use a 20* synthetic bag inside of a 40* down bag, and have stayed warm sleeping on my balcony when it was 0* out with a -10* windchill factor. I did that just for testing, when I have used it while actual camping it never got colder then 15*. I know most people would say use the down bag inside of the synthetic, but the down is a long length, and the synthetic is regular, so the synthetic fits very nicely inside of the down bag.