Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Favorite Beer?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Favorite Beer?

Postby crestone14ers » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:46 pm

Been drinking all summer...

Ska Brewing's...

Modus Hoperandi.

A truly delicious IPA from Durango.

Postby jblyth » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:47 pm

djkest wrote:
Dakota007 wrote:Though I like almost all beers, I do agree with this article over the craft craziness with hops.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/drink/2013/05/hoppy_beer_is_awful_or_at_least_its_bitterness_is_ruining_craft_beer_s_reputation.html

Good article! No doubt hop-heads will disagree with the premise. I'm waiting for someone to come out with a beer called "buckets of hops" or "hops overload" much to my disgust.

This is just crazy talk....the hoppier the better.

Postby TallGrass » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:26 pm

jblyth wrote:This is just crazy talk....the hoppier the better.
Why don't you just eat hops then? If all you know about brewing is hops, then you're like the guy at the gym who works his biceps and pecs but nothing else.

I try a lot of beers as do many of my friends, but some are now hop-heads who it seems are a-l-w-a-y-s ordering an IPA every time we're out. Really, they all start tasting the same to me. Funny thing is most of hop-heads smoke too (tobacco) so they don't notice that smell either. One they like is Palate Wrecker which names says something about the mentality, regardless of how it tastes.

I like a decent IPA, but also APA, stout, porter, wheat (hell, I'm a KS guy), ale, lager, etc. There are more ways to give flavor to beer than just hops (good example: Terra Incognita).

Edit: fixed URL link
Last edited by TallGrass on Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby jblyth » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:40 pm

TallGrass wrote:
jblyth wrote:This is just crazy talk....the hoppier the better.
Why don't you just eat hops then? If all you know about brewing is hops, then you're like the guy at the gym who works his biceps and pecs but nothing else.

I try a lot of beers as do many of my friends, but some are now hop-heads who it seems are a-l-w-a-y-s ordering an IPA every time we're out. Really, they all start tasting the same to me. Funny thing is most of hop-heads smoke too (tobacco) so they don't notice that smell either. One they like is Palate Wrecker which names says something about the mentality, regardless of how it tastes.

I like a decent IPA, but also APA, stout, porter, wheat (hell, I'm a KS guy), ale, lager, etc. There are more ways to give flavor to beer than just hops (good example: url=http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/boulevard-sierra-nevada-terra-incognita/176318/]Terra Incognita[/url]).

Maybe I will Mr. Grass, great idea. I'll just grab a huge bowl of hops with my massive biceps and gigantic pecs (and skinny legs since I don't do leg day) and then chain smoke with my horrible taste buds.

Postby DArcyS » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:42 pm

Pepsi. I never grew up.

Postby HikerGuy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:48 pm

My favorite was Upslope IPA, definitely prefer the British-style IPA to American-style, enjoy maltiness along with my dose of hops. But due to allergies, I had to give up man's greatest invention. Sure do miss a tasty beverage after a long hike.

Postby bergsteigen » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:52 pm

AndYouSeeMe wrote:Have a buddy coming into town for the Phish shows who was recently forced to go Gluten Free. Anyone know of a good GF Pale Ale I can have waiting for him? I have had a GF lager that left something to be desired and am hoping there is something good around town that he will enjoy.

Thanks!

New Planet has a few good ones. And it looks like some new ones for me to try as well. (http://www.newplanetbeer.com/?ao_confirm)

I also like Green's (http://www.merchantduvin.com/brew-greens-gluten-free.php) and Tweason'ale (http://www.dogfish.com/tweasonale)
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby kansas » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:34 pm

jblyth wrote:
Maybe I will Mr. Grass, great idea. I'll just grab a huge bowl of hops with my massive biceps and gigantic pecs (and skinny legs since I don't do leg day) and then chain smoke with my horrible taste buds.

Come on over, I may have an extra bowl and spoon.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (116.62 KiB) Viewed 237 times
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby Cherokee91red » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:27 pm

How could you choose really? Depending on. how I'm feeling could be anything, hops are great but to much ruins the flavor I think. Here are my go-tos though
-sierra nevada pale
-5 barrel
- shock top
- stella
- sam adams oktoberfest.

Postby SkaredShtles » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:30 pm

I presume it has been mentioned before... but if not - the best beer is:

And yes... I'm presenting the *old* logo because it's better than the new one.

Postby Matt » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:01 pm

I have good luck in picking random beers at the store when I'm out of state.
This one is phenomenal. Add it to the short list of things that come from Ohio that rule--Graeter's, Great Lakes Christmas Ale, and White Castle.

We are going to have a blind taste test soon with the La Cumbre Elevated IPA, which arrived just in time for last weekend's Phish run.
Honestly, I don't know which beer is better, but where IPAs are concerned, they're exceptional.

I've also been enjoying this:
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby Double Oh Seven » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Got a bomber of this waiting for me in the fridge when i get back from my backpacking trip on Friday. Only had to hit three liquor stores to find it. A little Oktoberfest Malt Liquor never hurt anyone. :-D
Attachments
kaiser11_300dpi-128x500.png
kaiser11_300dpi-128x500.png (106.89 KiB) Viewed 107 times

PreviousNext