Favorite Beer?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Favorite Beer?

Post by Johnson »

Beer...always a new one. IF you're ever on the east coast, Florida specifically, check out Cigar City Brewing Jai Alai IPA. Good stuff. I happened to have a couple in Tampa as the Lightening score at the last second for the win in game 3 of the Stanley playoffs. AND!!!! Check out this well balanced and intriguing article about the best IPA's in America. #10 happens to be the aforementioned.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2 ... v.html?a=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
Matt
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

With respect to Vonmackle, this just belongs here.
Hipsters.jpg
Hipsters.jpg (55.16 KiB) Viewed 2439 times
I'm currently enjoying a canned Union Jack. Have you had one yet?
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
Johnson
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

I've had my share of Union Jack and I like it. I've not had it in a can however.

Matt, did you see on this list that Two Hearted Ale comes in cans?
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

rijaca wrote:
Wish I lived in CO wrote:Hmmmmmm,

For those of you 40 and something older folks (sounds reminiscent of a recent thread), what was your favorite college age beer (or where ever the heck you were in the 80s or 90s before all the craft beers):

Sounds really pathetic now, but back in the day:
or 70s, Coors Banquet. Literally lived right across the street from the brewery for a semester. 'Short' tour almost daily.
Holy cow, first Golden brewery tour I took was in August 1972 after college graduation. You couldn't get "Banquet" east of Big Springs, NE in those days. Used to load up on cases of Banquet at the former Cherry Creek Shopping Center and trucked them 900 miles to St. Paul.

The few individuals I was privileged to reluctantly share Banquet with never heard of the stuff. One wag asked, "COOS?? What is COOS?!!!" One Geo prof who attended CSM in Golden at least knew better. A field trip with him was "Coors beer, Coors beer ..."

In those days it was "brewed with pure Rocky Mountain spring water." Period. Times have really changed ...
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

As of late I've been enjoying Ballast Brewing:

Both very good - Big Eye is a little more reasonably priced.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Johnson wrote:<snip>
It may come in cans... but it doesn't come to Colorado. Which is a TRAVESTY. :evil:
DoctorBreaks
14ers: 33  5 
13ers: 6 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

Aspens Independence Pass Ale is one of my favorites.
"Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."

-Anatoli Boukreev

Be humble enough to respect the mountain, but confident enough to climb it.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.
Matt
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

SkaredShtles wrote:
Johnson wrote:<snip>
It may come in cans... but it doesn't come to Colorado. Which is a TRAVESTY. :evil:
Yes, I had one of those tall boys last year, thanks to Bob F.
Sculpin comes in cans now, too.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
Brimstone10
14ers: 40  2  3 
13ers: 9 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Brimstone10 »

Wish I lived in CO wrote:Guess it's been awhile .....
3) Two Hearted Ale (Bells Brewing, MI)
One of the many things I miss about living in Michigan is having Two Hearted at my disposal
Wish I lived in CO
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Mark A Steiner wrote:Holy cow, first Golden brewery tour I took was in August 1972 after college graduation. You couldn't get "Banquet" east of Big Springs, NE in those days. Used to load up on cases of Banquet at the former Cherry Creek Shopping Center and trucked them 900 miles to St. Paul.
I guess Smokey and the Bandit had something to do with changing that? My first full can of beer was the banquet absconded from the basement where my Dad kept it. "This is pretty damn good" I thought to myself. I proceeded to drink the rest of the 12 pack over the next week or so expecting to get busted by Dad but never did.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
Wish I lived in CO
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Brimstone10 wrote:
One of the many things I miss about living in Michigan is having Two Hearted at my disposal
I have actually found Two Hearted in Phoenix, about an 1 1/2 from my new home in Prescott. I'll be down there this weekend anyway, think I'll grab a few sixers. But yeh, I really miss a few of the craft breweries in MI. Also I miss the west coast sand dune beaches, the endless forests of the U.P., and of course some friends and family. Prescott is pretty darn awesome though............ -and also even within a long days drive of some 14ers!
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Brimstone10 wrote:
Funny - it's the *only* thing I miss about living in Michigan. :mrgreen: