Favorite Beer?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Favorite Beer?

Post by Presto »

The Man and I strolled over to World of Beer on Sunday to celebrate our 31st wedding anniversary. We partook of the following yumminess betwixt the two of us (before walking over to the Bull-n-Bush for dinner and more yummy beer):

Draft Flight -
Alaskan Tropplebock (10.5% ABV)
Green Flash Palate Wrecker (9.5% ABV)
Bridgeport Kingpin Imperial Red (7.5% ABV)
Monk's Cafe Flemish Sour (5.5% ABV)

Draft Pint - Bear Republic Hot Rod Rye (8.0% ABV)

Bottle - Great Divide Colette Saison (7.3% ABV)

So close to home ... we'll be going back. 8) :iluvbeer:
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

So I found myself in Salt Lake City with a few hours to spare and there is one word for it...EPIC.

EPIC Brewing that is. Story is that they are going to open a location in Denver due to some whacky tax laws concerning alcohol kegging, tapping, and transport. To our benefit, Colorado is friendlier to the makers of fine beer.

My afternoon was spent talking to the dude serving my beer along with several other spirited beer lovers. They had a simple food menu that had quality and fun offerings. I am sure they will duplicate that in Denver.

As to the subject on hand....

I tried the following and thought they were very good: Pfeifferhorn Lager, Galloway Porter, Brainless on Peaches Belgain-Style Ale, and their Straight Up Saison (my favorite of the day).

I also tried some of their IPA's. I had their Hopulent IPA (which I also had last weekend at home), Brainless IPA, and the Spiral Jetty IPA. Of these, the Brainless was my favorite. I think the Saison or the pulled pork cuban sandwhich messed with my taste buds so that the IPA's weren't working for me today.

Strange situation.... in Salt Lake City, the law is that you can't server draft beer over 3.2 or something low like that. The EPIC location had to serve the beer out of a bottle. It will be a great treat to visit them in Denver and sample their brews on tap!

Cheers!
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

Johnson wrote: Strange situation.... in Salt Lake City, the law is that you can't server draft beer over 3.2 or something low like that. The EPIC location had to serve the beer out of a bottle. It will be a great treat to visit them in Denver and sample their brews on tap!

Cheers!
never really understood why the draft beer 3.2% limit, but bottles there is none. Utah still makes some tasty brew, Uinta being my favorite.
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Last edited by Bean on Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
Johnson
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Bean wrote:
Johnson wrote:Strange situation.... in Salt Lake City, the law is that you can't server draft beer over 3.2 or something low like that. The EPIC location had to serve the beer out of a bottle. It will be a great treat to visit them in Denver and sample their brews on tap!
I went to a brewpub last time I was in Ogden, for all their real beers they had to bottle it and then sell the bottle to the customer. Stupid.
Don't want to drag on too much, but I didn't have cash on me. In order to tip the dude that prepared my food and poured my beers, I had to buy a beer to give to him. Thinking back, I should have bought two for him.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Interesting article Berrong on Beer - Building a better drinking vessel with some interesting links:
Beer Glassware has some interesting presentation tips. "Topless" Beer Can (though I can see this becoming the phablet of litter; if you've seen decades-old beer can pull-tops in a park, nature or such, you know what I mean)

And the funniest, the Bräuler which some unwitting marketing sap in their attempt to make it look more German made a word that's pronounced "BROILER" :lol: :lol: :lol: , probably after a night of eating Häagen-Dazs while listening to Motörhead, Blue Öyster Cult, Queensrÿche and Mötley Crüe. Those two dots (umlaut) shift the vowel sound sharper, not deeper. If Bräu wasn't already German, they could pass for rock dots, but no. :roll: :lol: Brauer is "brower" but Bräu is "broy".
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

FYI -

Was able to get a Magic Hat #9 on tap at Old Chicago in Ft. Collins Monday. I thought this was not distributed here. I have had it bottled when on the East Coast in the past. Little apricot flavor but not overpowering.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

Another beer related tidbit I saw today. Don't think I'll be having one of these. :-k

Elephant dung beer sells out almost immediately
Published April 18, 2013
beer_elephant_dung.jpg
beer_elephant_dung.jpg (202.42 KiB) Viewed 2133 times
We've seen beer brewed from everything from facial hair to bull testicles. Now you can add half-digested coffee beans picked out of elephants' dung to the list.
Recently Japanese brewery Sankt Gallen introduced Un, Kono Kuro, a brew made from coffee beans that have passed through an elephant (there is no actual poop in the beer)--a technique that breaks down proteins in the coffee bean, giving the beer a smooth, earthy flavor.
According to RocketNews24, Sankt Gallen sold out of the brew on the first day of its sale, which was on April Fools' Day (no joke).
So how did it taste? Apparently, pretty good, according to RocketNews24.

"The combination of bitter and sweet stayed fresh and lingered in my head. It was a familiar aroma that accompanied me through the entire beer."
The pricey beans, called Black Ivory, comes from Thailand’s Golden Triangle Elephant Foundation, the same people that created the $50 cup of elephant dung coffee. Needless to say, you won't find Un, Kono Kuro in too many U.S. supermarkets.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/04/ ... p=features
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
TeamDino5280
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TeamDino5280 »

Got one of these for my birthday and it was fantastic

Undercover Investigation Shut-down Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Also River North Brewery should be releasing their whiskey barrel aged black IPA soon and that should be awesome since all of their other barrel series have been fantastic especially the whiskey aged saison (J-Marie) and the whiskey aged Avarice imperial stout

http://www.rivernorthbrewery.com/
Johnson
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

This is a seriously great Rye IPA from Renegade. I think it may have ruined me from having any other Rye's.
Attachments
renegade_brewing_company_ryeteous_rye_ipa.jpg
renegade_brewing_company_ryeteous_rye_ipa.jpg (35.58 KiB) Viewed 1989 times

jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

Not as high-falootin' as some of the beers mentioned here (my alcohol $ goes to Scotch), but I'm quite pleased with Tommyknocker's Nice Saison.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

I am forced multiple times anually to go to Ohio for research. Great Lakes Brewing is the one sollace to be taken from long hot and humid days working in the field.

I was delighted to arrive Ohio-side this year to see this delectable brew available. It's not worth the trip to Ohio alone (what is actually) but not bad for the midwest.

Make wilderness less accessible.