Favorite Beer?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Favorite Beer?

Post by TallGrass »

jblyth wrote:This is just crazy talk....the hoppier the better.
Why don't you just eat hops then? If all you know about brewing is hops, then you're like the guy at the gym who works his biceps and pecs but nothing else.

I try a lot of beers as do many of my friends, but some are now hop-heads who it seems are a-l-w-a-y-s ordering an IPA every time we're out. Really, they all start tasting the same to me. Funny thing is most of hop-heads smoke too (tobacco) so they don't notice that smell either. One they like is Palate Wrecker which names says something about the mentality, regardless of how it tastes.

I like a decent IPA, but also APA, stout, porter, wheat (hell, I'm a KS guy), ale, lager, etc. There are more ways to give flavor to beer than just hops (good example: Terra Incognita).

Edit: fixed URL link
Last edited by TallGrass on Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
jblyth
14ers: 58  5  15 
13ers: 145 8 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jblyth »

TallGrass wrote:
jblyth wrote:This is just crazy talk....the hoppier the better.
Why don't you just eat hops then? If all you know about brewing is hops, then you're like the guy at the gym who works his biceps and pecs but nothing else.

I try a lot of beers as do many of my friends, but some are now hop-heads who it seems are a-l-w-a-y-s ordering an IPA every time we're out. Really, they all start tasting the same to me. Funny thing is most of hop-heads smoke too (tobacco) so they don't notice that smell either. One they like is Palate Wrecker which names says something about the mentality, regardless of how it tastes.

I like a decent IPA, but also APA, stout, porter, wheat (hell, I'm a KS guy), ale, lager, etc. There are more ways to give flavor to beer than just hops (good example: url=http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/boulevard- ... ta/176318/]Terra Incognita[/url]).
Maybe I will Mr. Grass, great idea. I'll just grab a huge bowl of hops with my massive biceps and gigantic pecs (and skinny legs since I don't do leg day) and then chain smoke with my horrible taste buds.
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

Pepsi. I never grew up.
HikerGuy
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

My favorite was Upslope IPA, definitely prefer the British-style IPA to American-style, enjoy maltiness along with my dose of hops. But due to allergies, I had to give up man's greatest invention. Sure do miss a tasty beverage after a long hike.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

AndYouSeeMe wrote:Have a buddy coming into town for the Phish shows who was recently forced to go Gluten Free. Anyone know of a good GF Pale Ale I can have waiting for him? I have had a GF lager that left something to be desired and am hoping there is something good around town that he will enjoy.

Thanks!
New Planet has a few good ones. And it looks like some new ones for me to try as well. (http://www.newplanetbeer.com/?ao_confirm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

I also like Green's (http://www.merchantduvin.com/brew-green ... n-free.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and Tweason'ale (http://www.dogfish.com/tweasonale" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
kansas
Trip Reports (4)

Post by kansas »

jblyth wrote:
Maybe I will Mr. Grass, great idea. I'll just grab a huge bowl of hops with my massive biceps and gigantic pecs (and skinny legs since I don't do leg day) and then chain smoke with my horrible taste buds.
Come on over, I may have an extra bowl and spoon.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (116.62 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer
Cherokee91red
14ers: 5 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cherokee91red »

How could you choose really? Depending on. how I'm feeling could be anything, hops are great but to much ruins the flavor I think. Here are my go-tos though
-sierra nevada pale
-5 barrel
- shock top
- stella
- sam adams oktoberfest.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

I presume it has been mentioned before... but if not - the best beer is:

And yes... I'm presenting the *old* logo because it's better than the new one.
Matt
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

I have good luck in picking random beers at the store when I'm out of state.
This one is phenomenal. Add it to the short list of things that come from Ohio that rule--Graeter's, Great Lakes Christmas Ale, and White Castle.

We are going to have a blind taste test soon with the La Cumbre Elevated IPA, which arrived just in time for last weekend's Phish run.
Honestly, I don't know which beer is better, but where IPAs are concerned, they're exceptional.

I've also been enjoying this:
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
Double Oh Seven
14ers: 19 
13ers: 23 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Double Oh Seven »

Got a bomber of this waiting for me in the fridge when i get back from my backpacking trip on Friday. Only had to hit three liquor stores to find it. A little Oktoberfest Malt Liquor never hurt anyone. :-D
Attachments
kaiser11_300dpi-128x500.png
kaiser11_300dpi-128x500.png (106.89 KiB) Viewed 2005 times
M1keey
14ers: 41 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by M1keey »

PBR!!!! Just kidding, Natty Ice.
emiller
14ers: 6 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Post by emiller »

Two of the Best Midwestern Beers from in my opinion the two best breweries in the midwest. They have definitely earned places in my beer fridge
Attachments
zombie dust.jpg
zombie dust.jpg (15.52 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
Ed Fitz.jpg
Ed Fitz.jpg (9.8 KiB) Viewed 2272 times