Favorite Beer?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Swampy
14ers: 17 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Favorite Beer?

Post by Swampy »

Chimay - Red
Delirum Tremmons
Shiner Bock

I love most Belgian beers.
Kovar
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kovar »

+1 for New Glarus -- their Cherry Beer is great, and I'm not a fan of fruit in the beer.

+1 for Two Hearted Ale, love the beer, love the label too

Anyone ever tried any of the the bourbon barrel stouts? Definitely not a favorite beer, but a very interesting marriage of two independently wonderful things.
Aubrey
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (128)

Post by Aubrey »

zacob wrote:A bad beer is better than a good glass of water ...
I used to agree with this statement (and similar ones, such as: "there are no bad beers, it's just that some beers are better than others") ... but after sampling some hideous drain-pours in my time, I've since changed that opinion.

Have you ever had any Camo malt liquor beers, for example? That's just one lineup that comes to mind. Those beers have vomit-inducing notes of moldy corn, sewer-soaked cardboard, stagnant cat urine and fusel alcohol. If anyone can finish a whole Camo tallboy in my presence, it's on me!
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

Aubrey wrote:
I used to agree with this statement (and similar ones, such as: "there are no bad beers, it's just that some beers are better than others") ... but after sampling some hideous drain-pours in my time, I've since changed that opinion.

Have you ever had any Camo malt liquor beers, for example? That's just one lineup that comes to mind. Those beers have vomit-inducing notes of moldy corn, sewer-soaked cardboard, stagnant cat urine and fusel alcohol. If anyone can finish a whole Camo tallboy in my presence, it's on me!
Never had a Camo malt Liquor and I'm not real fond of any kind of cat urine, stagnant or fresh, and moldy corn is just nasty. If you want a gross beer from an otherwise great brewer, try the Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat Ale. It tasted like a beer somebody had dissolved several Hall's Cherry throat lozenges in it...just awful!!!
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
thunderinacircle
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by thunderinacircle »

Have you tried Spotted Cow by New Glarus? That and Riverwest Stein, by Lakefront Brewery, are my two favorite Wisco beers.
when the moon first rose tonight, my eyes were met with such a beautiful sight. a feeling deep inside so hard to explain, so familiar yet impossible to name. this is the place where dreams come true, a part of me and a part of you. this is where our spirits fly, on beams of light across the sky...and i'll meet you, in the valley of the full moon. as bright as the sun, in the middle of the afternoon.
Matt
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

Aubrey wrote:

How about this one?
sportz.gif
sportz.gif (9.15 KiB) Viewed 3786 times
Fraternity pledges have feared this swill for decades.
Whether it causes more suffering than Schaeffer Light left out in the San Antonio sun and served "warm," I can't say...

Incidentally, I picked up this year's Alaskan Barleywine about half an hour ago. So far, so good...
alaskan-barleywine.jpg
alaskan-barleywine.jpg (8.71 KiB) Viewed 3792 times
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Oman »

del_sur wrote: Fraternity pledges have feared this swill for decades.
Whether it causes more suffering than Schaeffer Light left out in the San Antonio sun and served "warm," I can't say...
Eleven-course post-3 a.m. college meal:
One of these:
+10 of these at 22 cents each:
My G/I system is grateful there are no White Castles in Colorado.
Matt
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

Oman wrote: +10 of these at 22 cents each:
My G/I system is grateful there are no White Castles in Colorado.
You know, twice a year, I go back to the Midwest and binge on things non-Colorado:
1. White Castle
2. Bell's Beer
I love them both.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

Bukowski said it best:

When something good happens people drink to celebrate
When something bad happens people drink to forget
When nothing is happening people drink to make something happen

The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
Prairie Native
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Prairie Native »

MMM....Beer Rocks.
Something witty.
UrsaMajor
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by UrsaMajor »

Oh man, talk about a great but tough topic! No way I can narrow this down to five. I'll tell you what I have been into lately, in no particular order.

New Belgium 1554 --> awesome. I bottled a Belgian black ale last week from a 1554-like kit. We'll see how that turns out.
Kona Pipleline Porter --> also awesome, one of my favorite porters.
Guinness --> best when poured by a professional at the Gravity Bar in Dublin.
Shiner Black Lager --> I've had better schwarzbiers, but I end up drinking plenty of this one anyway.
Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA --> So so good, but of course not available in Kansas. Sad!
Deschutes Mirror Pond --> Same story here, not sold in Kansas...time to move so I can get better beer!
Left Hand Smoke Jumper --> I love the quote on the label: "Here's to smoke in your glass, not in the woods."
Free State * --> Love most of what Free State makes, but especially the Copperhead IPA and the John Brown.

For those in the KC area (or wherever else Boulevard is available), keep an eye out for the Smokestack beers. The Double Wide IPA is awesome. I have some of their Imperial Stout also but haven't had a chance to try it yet. Look for the Single Wide IPA in bottles...it's supposed to be released in March. Some places around town like Barley's, some Tanners, and Flying Saucer have it on tap.

I went on an Avery buying spree not too long ago. There's some Samael, Mephistopheles, and Beast in my fridge. I also have "The Kaiser", an imperial Oktoberfest. I haven't tried any of those yet, but soon.

There's a couple of new-ish Sierra Nevada ones on the docket too. I have some of their Harvest "fresh hop" around but haven't tried that either. Also have been searching for the Torpedo Extra IPA. Has anybody seen that around?
"This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time."
- Fight Club
fiddlinclimber
14ers: 26  10 
13ers: 36 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by fiddlinclimber »

grizz wrote:Cutthroat Porter
New Castle
Trippel

I can't believe you're the only one who mentioned Newcastle! That is #1 on my list, followed by (in no particular order) Sierra Nevada, Hazed and Infused, Bass, Harp, Guinness, and Golden City Brewery's IPA, Clear Creek Pale, Red, and Brown.