Favorite Beer?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Re: Favorite Beer?

Post by Papillon »

2013 is going to be the year of dogfish head for me. I am going to set out to sample as many of their beers as I can find. I currently have the following in my possession:

Olde School
Burton Baton
Sahtea
Theobroma
My Antonia
Namaste
Hellhound

2013 is also going to be the year of hot sauce for me. I am going to set out to sample as many hot sauces as I can find.

It seems like that's all a guy needs these days...
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

The actual donut is HEAVEN.
I may or may not have witnessed someone pick the piece of bacon off the donut and defiantly throw on to the streets of Eugene, claiming the two don't mix. I also may or may not have witnessed shortly there after, another person pick that very piece of bacon off the ground, place on their maple and consume.

I can't even begin to fathom how much that beer sucks though.
kansas
Trip Reports (4)

Post by kansas »

lordhelmut wrote: I may or may not have witnessed someone pick the piece of bacon off the donut and defiantly throw on to the streets of Eugene, claiming the two don't mix.
And this person is still alive?
I also may or may not have witnessed shortly there after, another person pick that very piece of bacon off the ground, place on their maple and consume.
Get this man a medal, for he is a true hero.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

Papillon wrote:2013 is going to be the year of dogfish head for me. I am going to set out to sample as many of their beers as I can find. I currently have the following in my possession:

Olde School
Burton Baton
Sahtea
Theobroma
My Antonia
Namaste
Hellhound

2013 is also going to be the year of hot sauce for me. I am going to set out to sample as many hot sauces as I can find.

It seems like that's all a guy needs these days...
Year of the hot sauce.............

2013 is also gonna be the year of the Trader Joe's infiltrating Colorado

(That bottle of Cholula in the pic above would be perfect for a month long car camping trip in Glacier)
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

kansas wrote:
Prairie Native wrote:Has anyone tried boulevards chocolate ale? Boy. It sold out in a week.
The '11 is good with a year of age on it. The '12 is horrid,
Yes, but the Chocolate Ale on tap is the best, especially the first year.

Kansas, not so fast. You see there was a partial recall of the 2012. Blvd cut me a check for what I paid, and no didn't have to return the beer. We drank them and they weren't bad, just a little off and the chocolate was weak. Still have some in the fridge as I snagged about a dozen of them. Got one here, one there, then found a place that had bunch on display in March weeks after the release. \:D/ There will be none for 2013, but maybe 2014.

The 2013 Rye on Rye was just released and is sold out in most places here, some will limit you to one or two bottles (like with other limited releases). Again, found a places with cases of it still and best price to boot. I never solo a 'stack; they're an excuse to drink with someone else; social beers I usually bring to family get-togethers and friends' parties. At the latter, we're always trying new brews.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

I have found this one to be quite good:

Pain is Good.
hot.jpg
hot.jpg (11.96 KiB) Viewed 2086 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

lordhelmut wrote:
Year of the hot sauce.............

2013 is also gonna be the year of the Trader Joe's infiltrating Colorado

(That bottle of Cholula in the pic above would be perfect for a month long car camping trip in Glacier)
Can you imagine seeing a guy at a TH hitting that Cholula bottle and then chasing it with a hit from one of those 3 liter bottles of Double Bastard?

I'm serious about this project though. I should blog it - 365 days of peaks, hot sauces and Dogfish Head.

I just purchased a domain for it too - poyaproject [dot] com. POYA being an acronym... :wink:
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
kansas
Trip Reports (4)

Post by kansas »

TallGrass wrote:
kansas wrote:
Prairie Native wrote:Has anyone tried boulevards chocolate ale? Boy. It sold out in a week.
The '11 is good with a year of age on it. The '12 is horrid,
Kansas, not so fast. You see there was a partial recall of the 2012.
I've had both the recalled beer (IMO it was more than a little off) and the non recalled beer. Sorry, the '12 just isn't the same.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

kansas wrote:I've had both the recalled beer (IMO it was more than a little off) and the non recalled beer. Sorry, the '12 just isn't the same.
Remember which batch? There were three recalled. My others were from batch 5.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
kansas
Trip Reports (4)

Post by kansas »

TallGrass wrote:Remember which batch? There were three recalled. My others were from batch 5.
No sir, I've slept since then and I hope to never reach the level of beersnobbery where I'm tracking batch numbers on overrated, chocolate flavored beer. I'm sure at some point next year someone here in Kansas will force me to try an aged '12 and I'll let you know what I think.

Cheers
— Jon Krakauer
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

I'm not always an Ommegang fan, but this is really very good:
ommegang-art-of-darkness.jpg
ommegang-art-of-darkness.jpg (63.64 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

highpilgrim wrote:I'm not always an Ommegang fan, but this is really very good:
ommegang-art-of-darkness.jpg
I picked this up, as well as Ommegang Seduction on my last trip to WNY. Looking forward to opening it one day very soon!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina