Favorite Beer?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MountainMedic
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Favorite Beer?

Post by MountainMedic »

J-RockandRockpile wrote:
Have you had the luxury of having the Maharaja? 102 IBUs and 10.25% ABV. Its got a fantastic citrus finish and is one of my favs for sure.

Def. try and get your hands on some Younger at some point.

Maharaja - is mainly brewed with Centennial and Simcoe similar to Younger. However, Maharaja does have the Chinook hops in it as well.
I like the Maharaja a lot. In my opinion better than the Pliny the Elder. I still feel strongly that the Heady Topper is in a league of its own, though. There's just no hop profile that compares to it.
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (21)

Post by dehrlich101 »

MountainMedic wrote: I like the Maharaja a lot. In my opinion better than the Pliny the Elder. I still feel strongly that the Heady Topper is in a league of its own, though. There's just no hop profile that compares to it.
Any stores you know of have this famed Heady Topper in stock? 100 score on BeerAdvocate is impressive.

If you haven't already tried Bear Republic's Racer 5 IPA.. Check it out, by far one of my favorite IPA's.
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ
MountainMedic
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MountainMedic »

It's a little unfair - Heady Topper can only be purchased in Vermont, namely at the Alchemist Cannery near Stowe. I think some other VT stores sell it on and off.

I've heard great things about the Racer 5. Does Argonaut have it?
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (21)

Post by dehrlich101 »

I'm sure they do. If not Mile High Wine and Spirts in Lakewood will have it. They have a huge selection of great brews, in their beer cave.
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

dehrlich101 wrote:I'm sure they do. If not Mile High Wine and Spirts in Lakewood will have it. They have a huge selection of great brews, in their beer cave.
Yes they do! Great shop.. I wear my down coat when I go because I spend a lot of time in that beer cave.
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
DanR
14ers: 33 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (4)

Post by DanR »

Bear Republic does well - Racer 5 is a great beer, though I sometimes worry about freshness here. I like the Hop Rod Rye quite a bit as well. Their Racer X DIPA (which I think is very good) hit here in limited quantities over the last week or two and is worth checking out.

Alpine is another California brewery worth trying if you can, at least for the hoppy stuff (I just haven't tried their other styles). They don't typically distribute here, though their recent "Super IPA" collaboration with New Belgium was a solid value. I've had their Bad Boy DIPA now on two occasions and it's truly excellent.

Honestly though, Colorado breweries make excellent IPAs that are more reliably available, tend to be better value and are simply fresher here than their California counterparts. Avery, Odells and Oskars each make a variety of IPAs on par with any brewery in the country. I'd love to try Heady Topper, but I'm pretty happy with basically unlimited access to Maharaja and Dugana, Gordon and Deviant, and Odells IPA.
DeucesWild
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DeucesWild »

One of my favorite Frootbeers. Not quite a Steel Reserve but still...
ve11.png
ve11.png (81.37 KiB) Viewed 2083 times
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
jblyth
14ers: 58  5  15 
13ers: 145 8 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jblyth »

Went out for Sushi recently and tried a few beers (since they had no IPAs) from Rogue that were both decent: Morimoto Soba Ale and the White Crane Bitter Ale.
Bean 2
14ers: 23  16  6 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bean 2 »

MountainMedic wrote:It's a little unfair - Heady Topper can only be purchased in Vermont, namely at the Alchemist Cannery near Stowe. I think some other VT stores sell it on and off.

Medic - If you mention Heady Topper one more time, then you are required to bring a bomber of it back next time you are in the Northeastern region. I don't care if you have to make an out of your way side trip to Waterbury. Those are Bean 2's terms.
gdthomas wrote:

Bean, you're an idiot 2.
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com/
im_t_wal
14ers: 21 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by im_t_wal »

Bean 2 wrote:
MountainMedic wrote:It's a little unfair - Heady Topper can only be purchased in Vermont, namely at the Alchemist Cannery near Stowe. I think some other VT stores sell it on and off.

Medic - If you mention Heady Topper one more time, then you are required to bring a bomber of it back next time you are in the Northeastern region. I don't care if you have to make an out of your way side trip to Waterbury. Those are Bean 2's terms.
It's sold in 16oz cans, so good luck on the bomber :). But seriously though - that is the one beer I have picked off in a trade that I thought actually lived up to the hype. Best DIPA around. By far. And I actually think it has more to do with the malt profile than the hop profile. But either way, it's amazing.
MountainMedic
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MountainMedic »

Bean 2, I was simply answering questions. All good people deserve to be educated in the ways of the Heady. If you don't understand, then you surely don't deserve any.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Bean 2 wrote:

I can't believe I'm posting in the beer thread (because I don't like beer), but here goes....hey Idiot 2, oops -- I mean -- Bean 2 -- how much is that beer worth to you? I'll be in VT next month.