Favorite Beer?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kansas
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Favorite Beer?

Post by kansas »

^ I love all things Lagunitas, probably my favorite brewery right now.

Picked up some Lagunitas Sucks this weekend, great beer as well.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer
Jesse M
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jesse M »

Don't know if it has been mentioned, but I am really digging Colorado Native Lager. A really smooth lager that I can enjoy with food or by itself. Oh and you can only get in Colorado!
I agree that is a good lager. If you like lagers, maybe try Third Shift by the Band of Brewers, it is a nice amber lager. My favorite from this past winter though was Shift by New Belgium, a very good pale lager.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

kansas wrote:Picked up some Lagunitas Sucks this weekend, great beer as well.
Good stuff, indeed. They got it right.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

kansas wrote:^ I love all things Lagunitas, probably my favorite brewery right now.

As is Little Sumpin Sumpin.

Anyone know where they sell Marble IPA cans around Denver?
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (21)

Post by dehrlich101 »

lordhelmut wrote:
kansas wrote:^ I love all things Lagunitas, probably my favorite brewery right now.

As is Little Sumpin Sumpin.

High High Wine and Spirits in Lakewood has them. 435 S. Vance St. Lakewood, Co, 80226 - 303-936-0272
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

by lordhelmut » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:32 pm

Wallaby's (and you know where dat is) unless The Man bought them all up yesterday. 8)
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
paully
14ers: 56 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (1)

Post by paully »

Odells Chocolate Milk Stout, in general the Great Divide (Denver) and Dry Dock (Aurora) breweries are very good. Outside of Colorado, Dog Fish Head is superb...
Arkenstone
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Arkenstone »

Ahem, well the best beer is a free one.
But if pickers can be choosers, then Great Divide makes the perfect brew called Hades.
Apart from that, honorable mention must go to the staple Pabst Blue Ribbon.
And that's what's up.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Not as much of a hophead/big ABV guy (though I do prefer coastal IPAs), more in favour of clean, malty brews done well (so I can enjoy 2 or 3). And I like New Belgium as a company, but not so much Belgian beer styles.

Some favourites:
Super local:
O'Dell's Isolation
Equinox O'Rion Irish Red
Grimm Brothers Fearless Youth

Midwest Roots:
New Glarus always knocks it out of the park. Love Spotted Cow, Fat Squirrel, Two Sisters, Totally Naked, Back Forty Bock...this winter, got more into Snowshoe Red Ale (although it's more of a sweet, toasty brown, IMHO).
Schell does good stuff in Minnesota, love their Caramel Bock.

Not hard to find but too cheap to buy it regularly:
Rogue Dead Guy Ale

And one more admission: I'll admit to being biased towards taste, cost/availability (to a degree) and localness; but also influenced by "coolness-of-name" as well as "coolness-of-logo."
One that scores high (for me) in all directions is Bristol's Winter Warlock ($7.99 at the liquor store next to Sam's Club in the Fort)

Anyway, Colorado's a good place to be.
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

Tough to pick a favorite, but my two year round go-to's are Dales and Ranger.

Favorite seasonal has to be either America's Original Pumpkin by Buffalo Bills or Dogfish Head Punkin'...both are far and away better than any other pumpkin ale I've ever had. Stumbled across Dogfish Head this past year by random chance (seems I was incredibly lucky). I will be ready for it THIS year.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

My wife and I hit Odell for their release party for this:
treeshaker.png
treeshaker.png (51.3 KiB) Viewed 1903 times
"Tree Shaker"....GOOD STUFF. They used like 800 lbs of peach puree and it's an IPA. Subtle and not overbearing. Did I mention 9.6? Wow.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

Without question the best beer in Colorado Springs...

Last edited by jrs1965 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.