Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Places to buy gear - Summit County

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Places to buy gear - Summit County

Postby MDhiker » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:34 pm

We are staying in Summit County off 70 (arriving Friday) and wanted to know the closest place to buy gear etc...
MD Hiker & MommaJ

Happiness only real when shared.
Christopher McCandless

Re: Places to buy gear - Summit County

Postby Ken Gross » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:48 pm

There are a few places.

As far as Mountaineering shops you have Wilderness Sports in Dillon, and Mountain Outfitters in Breckenridge.

Also check Sports Authority in Dillon, Second Tracks in Silverthorne, and Recyle Sports in Frisco
"Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb discussing what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb willing to contest the majority decision." Benjamin Franklin 1755

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:50 pm

If you need a bunch of stuff, stop at REI in Denver before you come up the hill. Seriously. Summit County lacks a large, quality gear store. The small shops aren't that great and offer limited inventory. Probably the best local option is Wilderness Sports in Dillon - across Highway 6 from Sports Authority/City Market, near the Dillon Dam Brewery.

At one time, I seriously considered starting a huge (like the size of a regular REI) gear store in Frisco right next to the I70 exit. Serving the area and people driving through on I70. Sounds like work, though.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby MDhiker » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:58 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:If you need a bunch of stuff, stop at REI in Denver before you come up the hill. Seriously. Summit County lacks a large, quality gear store. The small shops aren't that great and offer limited inventory. Probably the best local option is Wilderness Sports in Dillon - across Highway 6 from Sports Authority/City Market, near the Dillon Dam Brewery.

At one time, I seriously considered starting a huge (like the size of a regular REI) gear store in Frisco right next to the I70 exit. Serving the area and anyone driving up I70 and wants to shop!

The 14ers outfitters......
why not...........

is the REI close to 70 out of Denver Airport?
MD Hiker & MommaJ

Christopher McCandless

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:00 pm

Out of the way a few miles (take I25 south when passing by Denver) but worth the trip if you need to stock up.

Postby MDhiker » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:04 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Out of the way a few miles (take I25 south when passing by Denver) but worth the trip if you need to stock up.

Will do..
Im sure we will need a fews things before our week begins...
MD Hiker & MommaJ

Christopher McCandless

Postby MDhiker » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:24 pm

I see REI there is the mothership store... :D
MD Hiker & MommaJ

Christopher McCandless

Postby Team_Amateur » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:22 pm

Hey Just to let folks know, there are several good gear shops in and around Summit County!
Mountain Outfitters in Breckenridge
Wilderness in Dillon
Out Ya Go in Alma
Sawatch in Leadville

They're all locally owned and support community events. Please support local shops. REI maybe cheap, but where does that money go?
Climb on. :D

Postby Ken Gross » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:43 pm

Team_Amateur wrote:Hey Just to let folks know, there are several good gear shops in and around Summit County!
Mountain Outfitters in Breckenridge
Wilderness in Dillon
Out Ya Go in Alma
Sawatch in Leadville

They're all locally owned and support community events. Please support local shops. REI maybe cheap, but where does that money go?
Climb on. :D

Well Alma is in Park County, and Leadville is in Lake County :roll:

Local shops have their place.. as do Internet Etailers. I dont really consider REI to be very cheap unless they have a sale going.
"Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb discussing what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb willing to contest the majority decision." Benjamin Franklin 1755

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:48 pm

And you get 10% of your money back if you are an REI member for non-sale items.

The biggest benefit to a large store like REI is selection. I gave up on visiting the local stores because they rarely have what I need. So, I can't support them if they don't have the product. Just the way it goes.

I don't discriminate. If REI doesn't have it, I go to backcountry.com, Sierra Trading Post, Campmor, etc...

Postby QuickWicks » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:02 am

Just an fyi for others who maybe come across this thread...

Mountain Outfitters in Breckenridge has a larger selection of hiking & mountaineering footwear than Wilderness Sports in Dillon.
=============
Gnothi Seauton

Postby Built-to-Last » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:58 am

I found this thread and wanted to see if anything has changed?? I just moved up here and wanted to know if there was a good place to pick up gear here. The original thread is from 2008-9, and was wondering if there are any new stores? Right now I am looking for a place to get Trails Illustrated maps...Thanks!!
"So many roads I know, So many roads to ease my soul". - R. Hunter

Christopher Dumit

Next