Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

trekking v adjustable ski poles?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

trekking v adjustable ski poles?

Postby nebraskaflatlander » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:18 am

i am in the market for some new adjustable ski poles and i've never had a pair of trekking poles, so i am looking for a pair that accomplishes both tasks for me. the main thing i've heard on this board is to get the flicklock system because the twisty locks give out. i am looking at the triple-section black diamond enduro trekking w/ powder baskets or the black diamond expedition adjustable ski poles and am looking for some thoughts from you all. (http://www.bdel.com) i don't want poles with the suspension and my concern is bending the poles. i ski the trees and my one piece aluminum ski poles i have now that were once straight are not straight any longer...

thoughts???
Find your limit and start there...

Re: trekking v adjustable ski poles?

Postby TomPierce » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:16 am

I've owned the BD Expedition 3 piece poles for years (maybe 10+ years?) and have been extremely pleased with them. BD cheapened the construction several years ago on the Expeditions but the latest model is very close to the beefier ones I have. Solid units, hold up to abuse well. I swapped out my snowflake baskets a couple of years back and put on the 3/4 baskets. Don't bother, they don't really perform as designed, kid of gimmicky in my opinion. I've also owned twist-lock Lekis and they just aren't as rugged as the BD's. The twist locks didn't hold up for me.

Postby MileHighScotty » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:46 pm

I've got the '06 BD Contour poles. They're light and easy to adjust, but on just my second day skiing this season, I bent the bottom portion of one of the poles.

Postby JayMiller » Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:33 am

I have a pair of black diamond with the flick lock. I do like this system over my last pair that was twist lock. A little dust in the twist locks and they can difficult to lock due to the expander slipping. The flick locks seems to avoid this problem. Now as to bending. You have two choices in poles - aluminum that bends and carbon fiber that breaks. In the trees you're eventually going to do one or the other. I'm assuming you are doing your tree skiing in the back country where you need to increase you pole length for cross country or skinning up-hill. Other wise I would stay with regular ski poles and get a good set of trekking poles for hiking.
My Philosophy on Life: If you wake up alive and well ... Shut the heck up.

Postby Gahugafuga » Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:17 pm

I'll put in a good word for the BD Traverse flicklocks. I've put my pair through about the worst beatings imaginable and they've come out with nothing more than scratches. Perhaps their finest hour was when I threw them over the crux downclimb on N Maroon because they were obstructing my movement. They bounced and rolled through talus and scree for a good few hundred feet before coming to rest. I feared the worst but they were just fine. I'll also note that I routinely ski trees and use my poles to beat down dead limbs in my way. The Traverses seem to have just enough heft to snap branches without snapping themselves.
Happiness is: