Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Nalgene safety?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Nalgene safety?

Postby treydouglass » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:38 pm

Klean Kanteen.
=D>

Postby coloradokevin » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:51 am

I'm working on chiseling a bowl out of stone (with a spoon) right now. I hope it will be safer, though I'm going to need to leave the tent behind on the next trip just to save weight.

Postby gsliva » Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:43 am

My read of this story is "government scientists say they need more study". That usually means grant money so these guys make their living and name through government funded study. If they don't find a subject to study then they are out of work.

Put these guys to work designing a more fuel efficient engine now that's what we need.
Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.

Postby Rikrun1210 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:43 am

Too much 14r's surfing linked to lethargy and mid life spread!
"No" is usually just a request for more information!

Postby pyraxans » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:06 pm

so when you hear science 'findings' on the news it is always a good idea, if you want and can, to check them. the best place for this is to try and access the actual published paper via http://www.pubmed.gov i searched "polycarbonate consumption" and the first hit was this article.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entre ... d_RVDocSum
now, you can read the full article if you want on elsevier, which is free to anyone with the internet, but for most non-scientists (and most scientists not experts in the field) the abstract is the best thing to read because it tells you everything you need to know in one paragraph.

From this paper it appears there may be some effect from using Nalgenes. Of course one paper does not necessarily prove one thing or another and some papers lack appropriate scientific rigor but you can guess numerous articles pointing in the same direction can't all be wrong (although they sometimes are). The biggest things about this paper are i don't know if the drinking bottles used were nalgenes, "Exposure to boiling water (100 degrees C) increased the rate of BPA migration by up to 55-fold," so heat does cause more significant levels of polycarbonate migration and "BPA was found to migrate from polycarbonate water bottles at rates ranging from 0.20ng/h to 0.79ng/h. At room temperature the migration of BPA was independent of whether or not the bottle had been previously used"

feel free to nay say, its welcome by good scientists

edit* also forgot, BPA is nasty to mouse embryos (in utero) but i've never heard anything about it affecting humans this article may have something
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entre ... stractPlus
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air ~ Emerson

Postby MOOSE DROOL » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:58 pm

So, in layman's terms, is drinking out of a Nalgene as bad as putting a loaded .357 in your mouth?
"There are only 3 sports, motor racing, bullfighting and mountaineering; the rest are merely games." - Ernest Hemingway

Postby pyraxans » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:41 pm

so, in layman's terms, is drinking out of a Nalgene as bad as putting a loaded .357 in your mouth?

Hahaha, I wouldn't worry about it, remember, exercise causes increased production of free radicals and so 'theoretically' raises your risk of cancer. but then again I'm just a lab rat and not a bone fide doctor. My hope is all the fresh air and mountain top views keep me healthy. and i think the only thing healthier than a loaded .357 is Christmas at your in laws, yowza!
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air ~ Emerson

Postby MOOSE DROOL » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:20 am

Like I said earlier, as long as I die of plastic poisoning on the trail and not at the office, it's all good. If I can just keep my wife from reading any of these scientific articles, we'll all be fine. She had better not toss my beloved Nalgenes! :D
"There are only 3 sports, motor racing, bullfighting and mountaineering; the rest are merely games." - Ernest Hemingway

Postby gander4 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:14 am

Trail Doc wrote:This is a choose your poison sort of situation....literally.
There's been a suggested link between aluminum (like that used in Sigg bottles) and cognative disorders for quite a while.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entre ... stractPlus

So that explains why I get stupid after a 12-pack of beer in cans. It's not the beer, its the aluminum :^o

Postby CorduroyCalves » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:31 am

gsliva wrote:My read of this story is "government scientists say they need more study". That usually means grant money so these guys make their living and name through government funded study. If they don't find a subject to study then they are out of work.

Put these guys to work designing a more fuel efficient engine now that's what we need.

Amen, brother!

I've been contemplating switching from nalgene to a hydration bladder anyway. . . nah, I think I'll keep the nalgene :wink:
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:29 pm

This discussion is making me feel better about my choice of water bottle providers. :D

The disposable soda bottles are made of polyethylene (#1), which is considered less safe than HDPE or LDPE, but at least they're cheap and plentiful. Reduce, reuse, recycle is the mantra, and "reuse" is better than "recycle".
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Previous