Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

REI Garage Sale question

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

REI Garage Sale question

Postby Renard » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:33 pm

Ok, so the garage sale is this Saturday.. I understand that they give out tickets/numbers at the big store in Denver starting at 8 AM.. my question is, do people first in line get the best ticket/number or is it random? Up north here in Ft. Collins we have to sleep on the sidewalk but first in line is first in the door.. if that isn't the case at the Denver store, is there any point in getting there before 8 AM?? Thanks!

Re: REI Garage Sale question

Postby coloradogirl65 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:49 pm

It's all random - you could be the first one there and get #200, or you could be last in line and get #1. I would sleep in and get there right before - no need to stand in line for hours.

Postby austinsnow » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:58 am

its is completely random! a couple buddies and i found this out the hard way after getting there well before the sun came up. we were pretty excited because we were the first ones, but a few hours later ended up going in a half hour after they opened the doors! rei manager told us it is because they don't like having people outside the store all night but i say keep the good 'ol first come first serve. its fun and you know where you'll be when the doors open
"It is because they have so much to give and give it so lavishly...that men love the mountains and go back to them again and again."
-Sir Francis Younghusband

Postby MUni Rider » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:13 pm

Maybe have more than one "hat" to draw from.....

The first hat has #1 to, say, #50, or #100, or whatever increment they decide to use.

The second hat has #101-#200, 3rd hat is #201-300 etc.....

Starting at the beginning of the line, people draw from the 1st hat till at the tickets are gone. Then pull out the next hat, and go until it expires, etc...

Maybe the first hat could be #1-#20, so the people that got there a little, (or alot), earlier than the others don't get #637. Just to reward REI's more dedicated customers, or at least the ones with no job to get to. :wink:

This way the early birds aren't entirely screwed and the later people aren't entirely screwed.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)