Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Lightweight windproof

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Lightweight windproof

Postby strat1080 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:55 pm

Either get something like the Marmot Driclime or an un-line windshirt. A bulky softshell is overkill if you are planning on using it in combination with your hardshell. In fact pieces like the MH Alchemy are intended to replace a hardshell in most cases. Windstopper isn't really breathable enough to warrant being a seperate piece. If the conditions are that bad you might as well just have your shell on. Stuff like the Marmot driclime and un-lined windshirts typically have air permeability of about 5cfm while windstopper stuff is about 2cfm. Waterproof/breathable garments are obviously 0cfm. You can engage in heavy aerobic activity in pieces like the Driclime or other windshirts and not sweat too much. A 4oz windshirt or Marmot Driclime in combination with a hardshell is an unbeatable combination for wind and rain protection. To me Gore Windstopper garments aren't versatile enough and are too heavy and bulky given their intended use. Most weigh as much or more more than hardshells and don't breathe all that much better.
Quit whining and move your %$# up that mountain.

Re: Lightweight windproof

Postby strat1080 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:00 pm

If your shell is waterproof then it is in fact windproof. A windproof layer is only warranted if your shell isn't breathable enough and you want something that blocks wind yet is breathable while active. Putting a windproof layer underneath a shell won't really do anything more than hinder breathability. If you are cold in windy conditions then what you really need is more insulation under your shell not more wind-resistance.

ktimm wrote:I'm pretty happy with my shell except when it is super windy / gusty. My main thought was something to use under several circumstances since it seems that it could be very windy up high on any given day of any season. That golit looks like a winner
Quit whining and move your %$# up that mountain.

Previous