Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Lightweight windproof

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Lightweight windproof

Postby ktimm » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:34 pm

Looking for a good recommendation for a windproof layer I could wear benath my shell in the winter or over my standard garb during summer/ fall ?

Specifically, what has worked well. My present clothing seems fine but hit a windy ridge and boy it's chilly. Something good for general bike riding would be good as well.

Re: Lightweight windproof

Postby KBeezer » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:59 pm

I use the Mountain Hardwear Alchemy Jacket. Its a softshell that uses the gore windstopper technology. Its not that warm by itself, but when your layering its fine. BUT if your active its perfect. The athletic cut is great for the cycling. I use the cinch on the neck to keep the wind out. I chose it mainly for my cycle, because of its durability and functionality. The only draw back is its expensive. I still recomend a softshell though.

Postby Cruiser » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:13 pm

I have been really satisfied with my Golite Ether Wind Jacket. It packs down to the size of a large egg, and weighs about 4ozs. Golite is a great local (Boulder) company, and I've been really satisfied with the quality of their products.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby nick.danforth » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:36 pm

Another vote for the GoLite Ether. It's a really nice piece of gear. Ultralight, affordable, and effective. GoLite makes some amazing products.

Postby CO Native » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:55 pm

Out of curiosity, why do you need a windproof layer beneath your shell? Maybe you should just invest in a shell that's windproof.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby ktimm » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:03 pm

I'm pretty happy with my shell except when it is super windy / gusty. My main thought was something to use under several circumstances since it seems that it could be very windy up high on any given day of any season. That golit looks like a winner

Postby ajkagy » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:50 pm

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Product ... 39&prod=34

I use the mountain hardware windstopper tech jacket for my lightweight windproof shell. I've probably used this just about every time I'm doing anything above treeline in the summer...climbing, hiking up 14ers, running in the winter.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Slow Moving Fun Seeker » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:19 pm

Marmot Driclime. Look for sales. It's a classic. In the summer, I take a Driclime and a rain shell (Marmot Oracle) and that's it (other than a solid baselayer).
We are not passengers; we are crew.

Postby JayMiller » Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:10 am

Here's a forth vote for the Golite. Mine takes the nearly all of the wind chill factor out of the equation.
My Philosophy on Life: If you wake up alive and well ... Shut the heck up.

Postby 2_Salukis » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:45 am

For a mid/baselayer, the Marmot Evolution Half Zip is my new favorite top. Great wind protection with Windstopper, breathable, comfortable, wicking, collar & cuffs keep out the drafts, etc. I've been forgoing a vest on windy 30-40 degree runs now that I have this. But it sounds like you're looking for a full zip.
http://f06.marmot.com/products/product.php?cat=cloth&subcat=13&style_id=I6187

For lightweight, no bulk, just wind protection, including a hood, it would be tough to beat the Marmot Ion Windshirt. It weighs about as much as a ClifBar wrapper and compresses down to about the same size.
http://f06.marmot.com/products/product.php?cat=cloth&subcat=13&style_id=I8065

The problem you'll run in to in getting a general-performance wind layer, is the fit for riding will be marginal at best. If you get your "normal" size, the sleeves will run up your arms, and your back will get exposed as you ride. If you go to a larger size, it'll be flapping in the wind on your ride, and the neck area won't keep out the wind. So you might be better off getting a cycling shell, that can double as your wind layer. Pearl Izumi makes a couple that might work, as do all the other manufacturers that deal in bike-specific clothing.

http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=45&product_id=1150446

Postby mrburns » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:34 pm

Marmot Driclime. Look for sales. It's a classic.

x2
"They've got the internet on computers now?" - H. Simpson

Postby strat1080 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:55 pm

Either get something like the Marmot Driclime or an un-line windshirt. A bulky softshell is overkill if you are planning on using it in combination with your hardshell. In fact pieces like the MH Alchemy are intended to replace a hardshell in most cases. Windstopper isn't really breathable enough to warrant being a seperate piece. If the conditions are that bad you might as well just have your shell on. Stuff like the Marmot driclime and un-lined windshirts typically have air permeability of about 5cfm while windstopper stuff is about 2cfm. Waterproof/breathable garments are obviously 0cfm. You can engage in heavy aerobic activity in pieces like the Driclime or other windshirts and not sweat too much. A 4oz windshirt or Marmot Driclime in combination with a hardshell is an unbeatable combination for wind and rain protection. To me Gore Windstopper garments aren't versatile enough and are too heavy and bulky given their intended use. Most weigh as much or more more than hardshells and don't breathe all that much better.
Quit whining and move your %$# up that mountain.

Next