Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Winter hard shell material

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Winter hard shell material

Postby Tim McMarmot » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:42 am

For the last few years, my winter shell jacket has been either a basic Marmot Precip from my days in Illinois (now so worn out its more of a wind breaker) or a Precip Plus that usually feels clammy and bulky, even though it only weighs a pound. So, its time for something new, but I want something light since it'll stay in my pack except in the worst weather. I like the concept of Paclite, but when I asked Gore about it, the rep said the 2 layer system doesn't work well in cold weather as sweat can freeze on the inside. He suggested Pro Shell, so maybe that's just a sales pitch. :D I'm also interested in the Montbell "Breeze Dry-Tec" material that's supposedly near eVent for breathability. So, my questions here are (1) does anyone have anything positive to say about Paclite in the winter, (2) any experience with Montbell shells and (3) what about just a new basic Precip? Gracias!

Re: Winter hard shell material

Postby Cruiser » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:06 am

IMO staying dry and comfortable during the winter is about the layering system as a whole. A basic lightweight waterproof shell is great as long as you use some layers underneath that afford you lots of venting options. I like to be able to expose as much of my baselayer top as possible by unzipping the overlayers. You objective is not to avoid sweating (impossible to do during high exertion activities no matter what season) instead it should be to minimize sweating and maximize evaporation by allowing the outside air to get lots of contact with the wicking baselayer during periods of particularly high exertion. That said I'm quite happy with Paclite. You might also consider one of the newer softshell materials available now. They are more breathable than conventional hardshells, and they sacrafice only a negligible amount of water resistance due to the advances in DWR treatments and seam welding technology.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Re: Winter hard shell material

Postby 2_Salukis » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:41 pm

Tim McMarmot wrote: So, my questions here are (1) does anyone have anything positive to say about Paclite in the winter, (2) any experience with Montbell shells and (3) what about just a new basic Precip?

Both my wife and I have Mont-Bell Gore-Tex shells that are over 10 years old. Although we haven't been hard on them by any stretch of the imagination, they've held up very well and have only needed a Revivex treatment every few years. I like their stuff.