Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Down or Synthetic?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Down or Synthetic?

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:17 am

I love answering this question in my usually dull dry manner. I still use the bag I bought at Holubar in Boulder in 1974. It is down, which may have been the only choice back then. I keep it in a very large COTTON duffle that The North Face use to sell for sleeping bag storage. I also use the big rubbermain bins so it doesn't take up hanging room. The cotton breathes and the bins have air holes so mold and mildew do not become an issue. Judging from its condition with proper care, someone will be using it when I'm dead and gone. I can only compare down and synthetic when it comes to my extreme cold weather outerwear and I like the performance of down better. No science, just a personal preference for the warm fuzzies.

I remain Duffus
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Postby strat1080 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:12 pm

This question always comes up. Down for weight, compressibility, and durability. Synthetic for the price and performance in wet conditions. With the advent of high performance synthetic fills these days it only makes sense to go down if going with a higher fill. Modern synthetic bags are now just as efficient as 600 fill down. To me it if both bags weigh the same then the synthetic makes more sense given the price and performance in wet conditions. If weight and compressibility are important then 700+ fill down is the way to go. I have a MH Phantom +32, which is 800 fill down and weighs 1.5 lbs. It stuffs down as small as a Thermalite Prolite 3. Keep in mind that if you do decide to go the down route then you have to be religious about keeping it dry. I don't really buy the insulating power when wet properties of synthetic but they do dry much much faster than down sleeping bags. You get your down bag wet and you're screwed for the remainder of your trip.
Quit whining and move your %$# up that mountain.

Postby austinsnow » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:16 pm

go with a down model. it is well worth your money for the quality you get, just don't get it wet or keep it packed for long periods of time
"It is because they have so much to give and give it so lavishly...that men love the mountains and go back to them again and again."
-Sir Francis Younghusband

Postby Pete M » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:53 pm

I say Down as well. Check Campmor, they Campmor branded bags in a variety of temperature ranges at resonable prices :D

Previous