Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Marmot: Terraplane

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Marmot: Terraplane

Postby KBeezer » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:58 pm

Has anyone ever used one of these packs? Marmot packs are not really that popular here in the mid west, so I'm forced to read reviews online. I want some real advise. Is this pack as good as looks? hows the padding on the hips? I already have a bomb smaller pack for short trips, but I'm always filling it. I want a pack all end all backpack. I'm comfortable with the size, because I'm usaully the pack mule on longer trips. :D
http://marmot.com/spring_2007/equipment ... terraplane

Re: Marmot: Terraplane

Postby BearHamr » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:35 pm

If you were not aware Marmot bought out Dana Design which made the Terraplane. I do not know of the quality, but I have an old Dana, 6-7 years old and it rocks, heavy loads. My only gripe is the padding on the shoulders is a little thin or at least it is on mine.

I got the Bora 95 for Christmas last year and it is awesome, heavy loads and padding on the shoulder straps and belt. Might give it a look.
The only thing necessary for the truimph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Postby Cruiser » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:02 pm

Can't say I've fondled the terraplane, but my experience with Marmot packs has been great. They are no frills, but full of function. I've been totally satisfied with the construction and durability. Marmot makes a top tier pack as far as I'm concerned. Gregory, Arc'teryx, and Granite Gear are some of my other favorites. Packs aren't like boots. Boots either fit or they don't, but packs can be adjusted in so many different ways. So buy a pack that has the options and features that you need from a quality manufacturer, and you'll be good to go in most situations.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby maverick_manley » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:48 pm

I own this pack and used it on a couple weekend backpacking/climbing trips last summer. Very solid construction and good padding. I loaded about 55-65 lbs in it. Make sure you get a reasonably good fit for your torso size... if you're in the ballpark, I figure you can adjust it to match pretty well using the assortment of straps. Can't say the shoulder padding is excellent... I thought it was decent, but then I've not used any other large backpacking packs.

Prakash
My Brain Stops at Treeline but my Soles will Summit

Postby denalibound » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:17 am

Even thought Marmot bought out Dana Design, as far as I can tell they have not fundamentally altered the Dana Design packs. All of the suspension and construction features remain the same and only small features have changed. So if you are looking for a better assortment of reviews search for Dana Design Terraplane instead of Marmot Terraplane, which has only been out for about 2 years.

I myself own a Dana Astraplane, the largest pack Dana ever made, something like 7,000 cubic inches. I've carried 90+ pounds for 5 or more days without any problems. I've carried it to the top of 14ers in winter when my other packs were still in storage after my move to Colorado. I've travel almost everywhere with it. It is absolutely bombproof! It carries well has a superior design which lends itself nicely to many different types of adventures and is my first choice when I'm packing for a trip. I have 3 other packs of varying size, but I almost alway s go with this one even though it is usually 3000 more cubic inches than I need. So I guess I should state that the compression straps work wonders as well.

I say get it. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Postby coloradokevin » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:20 pm

As the others have said, the Terraplane used to be a Dana pack back in the day.

I own a Terraplane that I purchased in or around 1995-96 or so, back when they were still sewing them in Montana. The pack will handle a very heavy load, and has held up really well over many years of use. It is large enough to use for overnight winter mountaineering trips, and can easily fit my -20F sleeping bag. My only real gripe is that the hip belt is a bit too padded for my tastes (that's kind of an individual preference thing anyway though).

Postby cfoye130 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:11 pm

Yup. Same pack I own from 5 years ago, but then it was DD. Great great great pack. Prolly the best I have ever worn. I've had 65 lbs in this bad boy and It feels like 40 lbs in a normal pack. I would highly recommend it!

Postby Steve_P » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:27 am

I'm like colorado kevin with a ~12 yr old US made Dana Terraplane. It's a great pack, and I think most will agree that this is the pack for heavy load hauling; the only negative is its weight- my large weighs 7lb 1oz.

I would say that unless you plan on carrying 45+ pounds you can get a lighter pack, like an osprey aether, with slightly less suspension. I have an aether 90 and terraplane and the aether is 1.5 lbs lighter and carries as well as the terraplane with 40-45 lbs. Once I get past ~45 lbs it feels like the Aether's suspension is being overworked and it's not as comfortable as the Terraplane. The Terraplane is comfortable with whatever weight your legs can carry.

So, I would say for loads of 45+ lbs, get a terraplane, for less, I would recommend an Aether or perhaps another Osprey pack.