Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The End of Plastic Mountaineering Boots

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Postby Jcwhite » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:06 pm

AT boots...
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! WHAT A RIDE."- Hunter S Thompson

Postby coloradokevin » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:14 pm

Kevin,

I noticed the same thing, and have been told the same stories. While a non-double boot is appropriate for most conditions, it still was nice when plastics were available for less than $600!

Postby noreaster » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:08 pm

try zappos.com, they have asolo for a little over $330. they have free overnight shipping and free shipping back if boots don't fit.

Postby USAKeller » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:36 pm

Kevin,
If you're still looking for plastics, try the selection from EMS, they've got a few Koflach's left: http://www.ems.com/catalog/subcategory_ ... 4302875402
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby coloradokevin » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:42 pm

ezsuperkev wrote:Scarpa Invernos look like a possible answer. I think you can still get the Asolo ones too. Only online though. I hate buying a shipping back. Might be the only option.

Try finding the Inverno first! I've been looking for a pair for some time now. I used them years ago, and they fit well. Unfortunately I can't remember what size I was using at the time, so I can't order a set online.

Although they are still manufactured, I don't know who carries them... And, I don't know of any stores in the Colorado area that have them in stock.

(If it helps, Julie did buy a set of Invernos at the Mountain Shop in Ft Collins about three years ago, but I have no idea what boots they are carrying up there now).

Postby lodidodi » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:46 pm

Sierra trading post has 20% off vasque brand today and then you can use coupon code 60964 for another 20% off making super alpinista $140.77. They also have free shipping and if you spend $150 you get $25 gift card. They also have Ice 9000 and GTX alpine boots. I need to save money but I couldn't pass this deal up.

Postby sdkeil » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:48 pm

Yep CODave and I were at Bent Gate last night and the guy told us the same thing about double boots. We were looking at doubles for Rainier next year. We tried on the Spantik by La Sportiva and it is a sweet boot, but totally overkill for around here. It was also overkill on the checkbook at a cheap price of $650. The Nepal EVO is suposed to be a great single boot, which has been recomended to us by multiple people. I am still trying to figure which route I am going to go, double boot or single. I am might look at the Nuptse by La Sportiva. Let me know what you decide.
Ass: (noun)
a long-eared, slow, patient, sure-footed domesticated mammal, Equus asinus, related to the horse, used chiefly as a beast of burden.

Postby sdkeil » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:51 pm

coloradokevin wrote:
ezsuperkev wrote:Scarpa Invernos look like a possible answer. I think you can still get the Asolo ones too. Only online though. I hate buying a shipping back. Might be the only option.

Try finding the Inverno first! I've been looking for a pair for some time now. I used them years ago, and they fit well. Unfortunately I can't remember what size I was using at the time, so I can't order a set online.

Although they are still manufactured, I don't know who carries them... And, I don't know of any stores in the Colorado area that have them in stock.

(If it helps, Julie did buy a set of Invernos at the Mountain Shop in Ft Collins about three years ago, but I have no idea what boots they are carrying up there now).

Kevin,

EMS has the Inverno boot in stock, looks like they dont have much for half sizes. I am headed to DC next week for work and am planning on checking them out.
Ass: (noun)
a long-eared, slow, patient, sure-footed domesticated mammal, Equus asinus, related to the horse, used chiefly as a beast of burden.

Postby Prairie Native » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:54 pm

Moosejaw still has all 3 koflach's right now...better hurry.
Something witty.

Postby gc » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:04 am

If you're interested in Asolo's I have a pair I've been wanting to sell. I bought them earlier this year through a friend. I got them new and turns out they were too small for me. Didn't know how to properly size plastic boots at the time. I still used them for the winter/springs season since its all I had. I've got new boots now but if anyone is interested in them I'll give you a good break off the original $400 price tag. They're the Asolo AFS 8000 size Euro 43 1/3 or US 9 1/2. Feel free to try them out before you buy them. PM me if you're interested.

-gabe

Postby coloradokevin » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:08 am

sdkeil wrote:
coloradokevin wrote:

Kevin,

EMS has the Inverno boot in stock, looks like they dont have much for half sizes. I am headed to DC next week for work and am planning on checking them out.

Good to know someone still carries them! Thanks...

Postby Doug Shaw » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:37 am

The fact that you cannot find plastics anymore is great news! It means that I'll be able to sell my old Degres for $500 on ebay in a couple of years!

Next