Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

700th Post!

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

700th Post!

Postby Kojones » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:58 pm

I'm the type of person who finds that the insignificant milestones in life can be properly celebrated and not forgotten. Earlier this week I sang Happy Birthday to my Jeep when it hit 138,000 miles.

When I noticed a post earlier this week was number 698 for me, I started looking for threads worthy of my 700th post. While there are many great threads out there, I just couldn't find the right one. I am a gear head, so I thought it only proper that my 700th post relates to gear, hence the forum this thread is in. You will find a summary of my general gear recommendations below:

1. If you can't find it for significantly less elsewhere, use your REI Visa at REI to get 15% dividend back.
2. If you don't like what you bought at REI, take it back even if you've used it multiple times. They've never turned me down, even when the thing is covered in mud.
3. Do your research in more than one place when deciding what to buy. Post a thread here to ask others' opinions.
4. If you cannot think of a specific use for it, don't put it in your pack. You'll not only forget it is there (because it will end up in the bottom of your pack), but it will weigh you down and take up room for things you might need.
5. Cut your toothbrush handle in half. Not so much to save weight, but so it can fit in your screw-top bowl.
6. Use a screw-top bowl (Nalgene preferred) so you can store cooked food in it between camps (and to hold your toothbrush).
7. Soap - use it. Not only for your dishes, but every 4 days take a splash bath.
8. UV water heater bags - waste of space. Bathe with the cold mountain water. It's more refreshing and get's you in tune with nature. Guys might look like a scared turtle afterwards, but that's the fun of it!
9. Use bees wax (or bees wax-based product) to waterproof your leather boots every season. Heat them in the sun or oven, put a layer, then heat them again for 30 minutes in the sun. Put at least 3 coats!
10. Use all-leather boots! They are more durable, you can put complete coats of bees wax on them, they dry faster, (and you can eat them if you are starving...not really recommended).
11. Take a pair of shoes or sandals. Be sure to get your feet out of those wet socks every night. After 7 days you'll have swamp-foot if you don't. Believe me, another 3 days in the February Rocky Mountains is not fun with swamp-foot.
12. Nalgene bottles are awesome. In the winter, store it upside down all the time to keep the threads from freezing shut. Don't leave melted water out in the winter. Bury your Nalgenes full of water at night in snow. Dig out a "refrigerator" in the snow to place your pot full of water in (and be sure to "shut the door" otherwise it will freeze). The snow will keep the water in liquid form, the colder air outside will not.
13. The heaviest gear in your pack should be in the middle of your lower back. Put your sleeping back on the bottom, then the heavy stuff (normally food, fuel, and stove), then the lighter stuff. This will help you stay balanced and on top of the unstable log bridges.
14. Trekking poles - personal preference. They help keep rhythm while hiking, they make you go faster, they take weight off your feet and legs, and they too will keep you on top of those unstable log bridges.
15. Don't rely on one fat jacket. Layers will help you more efficiently regulate your body temperature.
16. Telemark skis - don't leave home without them. Snowshoeing is great, but much harder and slower in the deep pow pow. Don't forget the skins and climbing waxes! Don't underestimate (or overestimate) the grip of climbing wax. If you don't use the proper one, you'll either be skiing in place or pulling a large clump of snow stuck to the bottom of your skis.
17. Use a dang helmet! You may be "that good," but there are other skiers out there that aren't. You may think the probability of getting hit by a rock on a class 4 is low, but then think back to the story of the tourist guy that threw a rock off Pikes Peak and ended up killing a climber by hitting him in the head.
18. For cooking stoves, use a Whisperlite. And don't forget the repair kit! Find a small plastic camp kitchen type jar to put the parts of the repair kit in.
19. If you are just boiling, JetBoil of Reactor are good choices. But don't forget water purification in case you run out of fuel.
20. Water purification - take liquid iodine as a backup at least (you don't need much). Pumps work well and today have high water flow. They break, so you want the backup plan to be something that doesn't break - iodine.
21. Use sunscreen even if you are planning to be out there for just a couple hours. My few hours on Bierstadt turned into 10+ hours (yes, I was unprepared) and an emergency room visit for sunburn.

That is all for now. Maybe a future milestone post will be a continuation!

Happy hiking!
Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."

Postby JB Allen » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:09 pm

138,000 miles, cool. Love those long running cars and trucks.

The Bronco II of mine has 230,000 miles on it, the mighty Mazda has 150,000 and the inspection van has almost a 100,000 on it. In the past when they cross the 100,000 mile point I have taken a photo.

I know, that's a bit strange...
JB Allen...

Postby Ken Gross » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:25 pm

Thats a good 700th post!!

You had me laughing on the car mileage thing. I pulled off to the side of the interstate once so I could take a picture of my audis odometer hitting the 100,000 mark.

I also took a picture when it hit 200,000 and now it has 208,000

My goal is to get the car to 400,000 miles

JB Allen wrote:kentheskier, you are one post away from 400!

Make it a good one...

Wow just realized it! I will try, I will try
Last edited by Ken Gross on Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb discussing what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb willing to contest the majority decision." Benjamin Franklin 1755

Postby JB Allen » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:27 pm

kentheskier, you are one post away from 400!

Make it a good one...
JB Allen...

Postby Iguru » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:31 pm

Color me strange too, as I took an odometer photo of my Jeep in Sept. this year on my way to Colorado when it hit 100000 miles.
I will edit this post with said photo on Monday, as it is on my home computer, not here at work however. (if I remember) (as if anyone really cares!)
I also celebrate weird aniversaries like this Jan 1, 2008 will be my 20th aniv. of quitting.....I will leave it at that. (I quit without needing treatment if that gives you a clue.) :) :roll: :shock:
I gotta get me an Avatar.

Postby Derek » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:32 pm

:D Ha. I took a picture of my trucks odometer at 205,000 on my way to grizzly a few weeks ago. I really want a new vehicle, but "The Burgundy Beast" has just been too good for me. I had the waterpump replaced at 200,000, and that was the first replaced part on it. (the mechanic couldn't believe that I had never replaced the clutch.)

Lets hear it for long lasting vehicles!

(Good 700th Kojones)
"All dolled up in gabardine..."

Postby gsliva » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:47 pm

I wonder what I can say to get Kojones to post 701.

Jeeps are for....................

Just kidding. Nice post and I like your list. It's printed and in my gear list file.

Thanks
Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.

Postby bayouboy » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:51 pm

Kojones,

Congrats on 700. I'm working towards 60. Thanks for the list; you gave some good insight there.

700th Post

Postby pueblohiker » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:51 pm

Thanks for the post.

My Montero reached 180,000 when I was struck by a uninsured driver in September. She hit the car behind me and totaled us both. Fortunately no one was seriously injured. She was on a cell phone while driving in heavy traffic.

Good luck to all in reaching high mileage!

Postby fleetmack » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:20 pm

Got you all beat, Laetitia (my accord) is set to roll over 232K this weekend :) By the time she breaks down maybe they'll have invented an FJ Cruiser that has a moonroof and gets 50mpg, now THAT is a dream car!
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Postby Hobopoet » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:19 pm

My 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4 x 4 pickup has 11 miles on it...

Postby astroman » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:20 pm

kentheskier wrote:You had me laughing on the car mileage thing. I pulled off to the side of the interstate once so I could take a picture of my audis odometer hitting the 100,000 mark.

I also took a picture when it hit 200,000 and now it has 208,000

Only 30,000 miles to go to reach the moon! :D

Next