Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Defunkifying Footwear?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Postby Two Headed Boy » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:22 pm

Good luck.

I had to throw a pair of shoes away once. I wore the same socks for four days straight and that smell would drop you to the ground. I hope to hear some solutions to this.

Re: Defunkifying Footwear?

Postby Gary Brady » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:33 pm

g wrote:Anybody found anything that works pretty good at getting rid of funk in footwear? I've tried Odor Eaters spray, but it just seems to add its own scent...

Try replacing the insoles.
You guys have fun climbing this weekend. I can't go. Lumbergh's gonna have me come in on Saturday, I just know it.

Postby KeithK » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:46 pm

The only thing I've found that seems to work is to use foot powder and baby powder consistently. Over time, this seems to work for me. I put the powders both in the shoes, and sprinkle a little into my socks before I put them on... If the bacteria's really dug in, it may be hopeless.

Obviously, replacing the insoles will help, too.
Snow is dumb.™

Postby Gary Brady » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:01 pm

2 more things. After you wear shoes or boots, always let them dryout before you wear them again. If can afford it, buy 2 pairs. Somethings, like running shoes, can be washed in the washing machine.
You guys have fun climbing this weekend. I can't go. Lumbergh's gonna have me come in on Saturday, I just know it.

Funky Feet

Postby Greenhouseguy » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:10 pm

I work in a greenhouse, and my feet get wet on a daily basis. Wet boots don't smell too pleasant. Lots & lots of baby powder usually works for me. It's a pretty cheap fix.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Postby Prairie Native » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:41 pm

gold bond, trust me, use a LOT! dry feet never hurt anyone. its 97 cents at walmart, get 2, one for each foot.
Something witty.

Postby Iguru » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:26 pm

Foot powder containing boric acid will prevent microbial growth (which is responsible for the odor). This is best used as a preventitive measure, but will work to eliminate odor that has sunk in. One drawback to using powder in shoes, is that it plugs pores in the leather or shoe material, and can prevent shoes from "breathing". Use it on your feet inside your socks.
Don't worry, boric acid is a very weak acid, and will not harm unbroken skin. It may sting a little if you get it on broken skin.
I gotta get me an Avatar.

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:21 pm

I just throw my running shoes in the washing machine every now and then. All leather boots probably wouldn't tolerate that very well though...

- Chris

Postby MountainHiker » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:27 pm

I find prevention is best. I rotate through several pairs of both summer & winter footwear. In the long run I don't buy any more pairs, maybe even less. There's just more space devoted to the pile in the closet.

Postby rlw49 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:32 pm

try cedar chips in a cloth bag placed inside the shoe. I haven't had much luck with the powders and as previously mentioned they start to cake.

Postby austinsnow » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:44 pm

air out/dry out as much as possible, conside replacing the insoles, and frebreeze stings the nostrils (in a good way).
"It is because they have so much to give and give it so lavishly...that men love the mountains and go back to them again and again."
-Sir Francis Younghusband

Postby Derek » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:55 pm

g wrote:Who sells cedar chips (in the Denver area)? And preferably not in landscaping bag size. Razz

"Back in the day" I worked at a pet store and we would sell cedar chips (for hamsters and gerbils). In fact, most of the people who bought them got them just for this type of thing,....could give it a shot.

I know the last couple years they've tried to cut out cedar for rodents due to resp. infections, but still might be able to find some in the "shadier" pet stores.
"All dolled up in gabardine..."

Next