Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Gore-Tex Pro Shells

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Gore-Tex Pro Shells

Postby Slow Moving Fun Seeker » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:31 pm

jisherw wrote:I really like the design of the Mountain Hardwear Beryllium Jacket, however, I haven't found a single store in colorado that carries this model. Has anyone seen a place that does?

REI has the Beryllium on sale:

http://www.rei.com/product/753395
We are not passengers; we are crew.

Postby mrburns » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:47 pm

I really like the design of the Mountain Hardwear Beryllium Jacket,

I own the Beryllium jacket and I have been very impressed with it. I am a Large in everything that I own, and MH gear usually runs a little small, but this one is right on. It is also a little longer than most MH jackets. Hope this helps.
"They've got the internet on computers now?" - H. Simpson

Postby veritas » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:59 pm

As far as quality goes I have good luck from most of the bigger companies.

It depends on what you like.

I have the MHW Confluence Parka from about 3-4 years ago and it's served me perfectly as a do it all hard shell. A few gripes here and there but you are never going to get a perfect jacket that you can't find at least one little thing wrong with it.

I have my MHW Epic rain jacket. Awesome.

I have 2 soft shells - The Marmot Sharp Point and the Arcteryx Gamma SV. I wear the SV around town because it's really cut to close to layer. The Sharp Point is the best all around Soft Shell on the market IMHO.

I just bought my fiance the MHW Traverse Trifecta Jacket. That jacket rocks. It's perfect for what she was looking for.

It's a matter of what you like and what fits you best.

Vin C
NYC
"A man wrestles eternally upon a span, above a chasm. Locked in his arms is a dark angel, the Phantom Lord - not death itself, but the fear of death. The man falls, finally, but the Phantom Lord falls with him. In the man's surrender lies the Phantom Lord's defeat."

Postby TomPierce » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:38 pm

Dear jisherw:
Good question, obviously a lot of opinions out there. I have both a top end Mountain Hardware jacket and the pricey Alpha SV Arcteryx jacket and really they have pros and cons. The Arcteryx has superb construction, seamless-style zippers and will repel torrents of water with no leaking. It has a trim fit, not for all. It'll really accomodate a climbing helmet well. Good for fall/spring stuff. But for hard core winter use it's...OK. Great for wind but it is totally unlined, not even mesh. No snow skirt, etc. The Mountain Hardware model, however, has a built in snow skirt, a little rare on the recent jackets I've seen. Lined with mesh in back and nylon panels in the front, a generous pseudo-velvet nose/chin protector, sort of old school overlapping zipper guard. For winter work it's clearly superior to the Arcteryx, although it fits a helmet pretty tight (but for a techie climber, it's also cut a bit short & with "Napolean pockets" which can be easily accessed with a harness and pack on. So I guess if you're looking for tech features the MH seems the best. I'm sure other makes and models are equally good. I also like Wild Things gear and for the absolute best in clothing, Beyond.com. Quasi-custom made, available only online but made to your specs, colors, fabics and multiple size measurements. Pricey but compared to some makes perhaps not outrageous. Sorry for the length of my reply, I'm a gear nut.

Postby Hunter » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:37 am

-
Last edited by Hunter on Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."

Postby Ish » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:06 pm

Thanks again for all the responses. Due to the opinions that people have shared, it seems as though the Mountain Hardwear model is the one that I will buy. Tom, thanks for your indepth analysis and comparision. I might hit you up for some beta concerning your climb to ice mountain as I am going to attempt that climb this coming spring.
"Though my problems are meaningless, that don't make them go away..."
- Neil Young -

Previous