Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Gore-Tex Pro Shells

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Gore-Tex Pro Shells

Postby CorduroyCalves » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:43 am

Slow Moving Fun Seeker wrote:I don't know whether they carry the Beryllium, but Sports Authority has all MH jackets and pants 20% off through the end of the month.

Sports Authority carries MHW? Yuk. I guess it's not that surprising, considering MHW is owned by Columbia, and I know Columbia is a big seller in Sports Authority.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir

Re:

Postby CorduroyCalves » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:44 am

Prairie Native wrote:The arcteryx theta arent top of the line, the Alpha SV is though, you would hope so for 600 dollars...

True, but for $150 less than the Alpha SV, the Theta AR is an awesome jacket.

FWIW, a chunk of Arc'Teryx' production is now in China.

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir

Postby ADKben » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:30 am

deleted
Last edited by ADKben on Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby CorduroyCalves » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:58 am

Jared Workman wrote:I've got a nice Arcteryx softshell and I think they make the best fitting (non-custom tailored) clothes for athletic body types but they are way overpriced.

Take a look at this company's hardshell, it is custom made so takes a bit of time to get but the people I know who use their products love them http://beyondclothing.com/products/jackets/shells/

Another option would be the Spectre Jacket by Golite. I have it and love it. http://www.prolitegear.com/cgi-bin/prol ... tre_jacket

Finally take a look at products made with the Event fabric. The guys at Summitpost rave about RAB jackets and Prolite has one on sale now http://www.prolitegear.com/rab_latok_alpine_jacket.html

I also have the Marmot Precip jacket and pants but they are in the bottom of my pack and serve as emergency gear for me. I don't trust their long term durability but they are light and will keep you dry for a few days. IMHO the Arcteryx hardshells are not worth the price when other comparable products exist at the 300 dollar price point. My wife and I are rather comfortable DINKS and if I thought the Arcteryx were worth it I'd buy their hardhshell but I just can't justify it given the existing competing products.

Jared, you bring up some good points. Customers at REI bring that up all the time--"why would I buy an Arc'Teryx jacket when I can get one from Company X for hundreds less?" Not to defend them, but Arc'Teryx does have the highest stitch count and they do use high-quality materials. With that being said, if I didn't work at REI I would probably not be able to afford to buy their stuff :wink:

Postby Rockymtnhigh69 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:08 am

This is what I own and with just a little creative layering, it is all I have ever needed.. This thing is great. \:D/

http://www.rei.com/product/688271
Last edited by Rockymtnhigh69 on Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)

Postby Hunter » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:38 am

-
Last edited by Hunter on Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."

Postby CorduroyCalves » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:39 am

Rockymtnhigh69 wrote:This is what I own and with just a little creative layering, it is all I have ever needed.. This thing is great. \:D/

http://www.rei.com/product/688271

That's a sweet jacket. I've got the Sigma AR softshell and I love it!

Postby CorduroyCalves » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:40 am

Hunter wrote:
FWIW, a chunk of Arc'Teryx' production is now in China.
comming from a VW lover is ironic.

I was just pointing it out. Some people like to know that kind of stuff. It doesn't matter to me, as long as their standard of quality remains the same.

Touchy, are we :?:

Postby Slow Moving Fun Seeker » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:31 pm

jisherw wrote:I really like the design of the Mountain Hardwear Beryllium Jacket, however, I haven't found a single store in colorado that carries this model. Has anyone seen a place that does?

REI has the Beryllium on sale:

http://www.rei.com/product/753395
We are not passengers; we are crew.

Postby mrburns » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:47 pm

I really like the design of the Mountain Hardwear Beryllium Jacket,

I own the Beryllium jacket and I have been very impressed with it. I am a Large in everything that I own, and MH gear usually runs a little small, but this one is right on. It is also a little longer than most MH jackets. Hope this helps.
"They've got the internet on computers now?" - H. Simpson

Postby veritas » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:59 pm

As far as quality goes I have good luck from most of the bigger companies.

It depends on what you like.

I have the MHW Confluence Parka from about 3-4 years ago and it's served me perfectly as a do it all hard shell. A few gripes here and there but you are never going to get a perfect jacket that you can't find at least one little thing wrong with it.

I have my MHW Epic rain jacket. Awesome.

I have 2 soft shells - The Marmot Sharp Point and the Arcteryx Gamma SV. I wear the SV around town because it's really cut to close to layer. The Sharp Point is the best all around Soft Shell on the market IMHO.

I just bought my fiance the MHW Traverse Trifecta Jacket. That jacket rocks. It's perfect for what she was looking for.

It's a matter of what you like and what fits you best.

Vin C
NYC
"A man wrestles eternally upon a span, above a chasm. Locked in his arms is a dark angel, the Phantom Lord - not death itself, but the fear of death. The man falls, finally, but the Phantom Lord falls with him. In the man's surrender lies the Phantom Lord's defeat."

Postby TomPierce » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:38 pm

Dear jisherw:
Good question, obviously a lot of opinions out there. I have both a top end Mountain Hardware jacket and the pricey Alpha SV Arcteryx jacket and really they have pros and cons. The Arcteryx has superb construction, seamless-style zippers and will repel torrents of water with no leaking. It has a trim fit, not for all. It'll really accomodate a climbing helmet well. Good for fall/spring stuff. But for hard core winter use it's...OK. Great for wind but it is totally unlined, not even mesh. No snow skirt, etc. The Mountain Hardware model, however, has a built in snow skirt, a little rare on the recent jackets I've seen. Lined with mesh in back and nylon panels in the front, a generous pseudo-velvet nose/chin protector, sort of old school overlapping zipper guard. For winter work it's clearly superior to the Arcteryx, although it fits a helmet pretty tight (but for a techie climber, it's also cut a bit short & with "Napolean pockets" which can be easily accessed with a harness and pack on. So I guess if you're looking for tech features the MH seems the best. I'm sure other makes and models are equally good. I also like Wild Things gear and for the absolute best in clothing, Beyond.com. Quasi-custom made, available only online but made to your specs, colors, fabics and multiple size measurements. Pricey but compared to some makes perhaps not outrageous. Sorry for the length of my reply, I'm a gear nut.

PreviousNext