Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Gore-Tex Pro Shells

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Gore-Tex Pro Shells

Postby Ish » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:26 pm

Hey everybody,

The time has come for me to buy a new gore-tex shell. I will most likely wait a couple more months, that way I can try and find some spring deals on last years models. I am looking for a top of the line technical pro shell. I was wondering what shells other people liked. I really like the design of the Mountain Hardwear Beryllium Jacket, however, I haven't found a single store in colorado that carries this model. Has anyone seen a place that does? Anyway, let me know what models you are impressed with, thanks.
"Though my problems are meaningless, that don't make them go away..."
- Neil Young -

Postby mjsherman » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:46 pm

I know that Mountaingear.com carries that model of MH. They always have a discount section in the middle of their catalog. Or an online listing of things on sale. They usually have good prices for things on sale.
Matt

Postby JB99 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:26 pm

I just got the Marmot Rubicon which is a performance shell, just 2L instead of 3L Goretex and it is phenomenal. I also have the Precip and love it. Give Marmot a look. The Exum would have been my pick if money were no object, stoopid egucation costs two much?
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."

Postby Jack » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:39 pm

you want top of the line? Arc'teryx Theta SL/Theta AR. I've got the AR (got it for free actually mwahahaha, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to afford it) and it is just plain awesome.

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:46 pm

Jared Workman wrote:http://www.golite.com/Product/proddetail.aspx?p=AM1739&s=1

Jared's right on the money there... that jacket was $125 at the GoLite sale last weekend! They run another sale in April, somebody will most likely post it here. There is a Boulder (and now) a Denver location.

If you can find it on the sample rack you'd probably get it for $70 or so...

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:14 am

The most bombproof shell I have is the Marmot Alpinist. Much too heavy to simply carry in your pack for insurance against rain. But if it is needed for all day precipitation, protection against abrasion, and accommodation of pocket items, tight cuffs to prevent melt water running down your arms, and a hood over a helmet, it can't be beat. I skied in it a couple of years until I could justify a ski specific jacket. The particular style may not be made anymore, but you can bet Marmot has an equivolent that is as good or better. I agree, the Precip jacket doesn't have any bells and whistles, but is great to carry for plan B when hiking.

OK. I won't tell you about midweight shells. :?
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Postby Ish » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:37 am

Thanks for the replies. I tried on both the Arc'teryx and the Marmot Exum jackets. To tell you the truth I didn't really like the Arc'teryx models (not for the price at least). I know that they are really great Jackets, and that is the bombproof style I want, however, something about them just struck me as wrong. I am not looking for a plan B hiking/rain jacket, I am looking for a serious technical mountaineering shell. I will look at a couple of other Arc'teryx models because people seem to like those the best. If anyone in the Denver area runs across a store (not online) that carries the forementioned Mountain Hardwear jacket please let me know, as I really want to try it on. Thanks again.
"Though my problems are meaningless, that don't make them go away..."
- Neil Young -

Postby austinsnow » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:26 pm

i also have been researching the beryllium and have been talking to people and it seems like a great investment. also check out the patagonia stretch element jacket. this thing is bomb proof and of course patagonia has the best customer service/return policy on the market. as far as finding the beryllium or other high end shells, your best bet will most likely be on the outfitters website. occasionally they have web specials that are pretty amazing as well.
"It is because they have so much to give and give it so lavishly...that men love the mountains and go back to them again and again."
-Sir Francis Younghusband

Postby Prairie Native » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:56 pm

The arcteryx theta arent top of the line, the Alpha SV is though, you would hope so for 600 dollars...
Something witty.

Postby gb » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:21 pm

Eider Commodore. Pricey, but the best. Admittedly, I have a business relationship with Eider clothing, but I wouldn't say they make the best gear if I didn't think that they do.

Re: Gore-Tex Pro Shells

Postby Hunter » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:44 am

-
Last edited by Hunter on Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."

Re: Gore-Tex Pro Shells

Postby Slow Moving Fun Seeker » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:12 am

I don't know whether they carry the Beryllium, but Sports Authority has all MH jackets and pants 20% off through the end of the month.
We are not passengers; we are crew.

Next