Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Crampons...what do you wear?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Postby Andy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:41 am

I have BD Contacts that I bought before I knew what I was doing. They work fine for snow climbing and even for moderate ice climbing. However, they are a pain in the ass to get in and out of. If I had it to do over again I would have gotten the Grivel G12's for all around mountain travel.
"What a day, eh, Milhouse? The sun is out, birds are singing,
bees are trying to have sex with them - as is my understanding..."

- Bart Simpson

"You are not Steve F-ing House."
- Best RockClimbing.com Rant Ever

www.AndyInTheRockies.com

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:46 am

I've got an assorment:

- Grivel 2F's (really old... early to mid-90s) that I use for snow climbing/couloirs.
- Kathoola KTS aluminum crampons for running and running shoes.
- CAMP Footfangs for vertical ice (pretty old school, but they work since I'm not much of an ice climber)

- Chris

Postby Yog » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:18 pm

Grivel G-12 w/ anti-bot plates. Used for everything from couloirs to ice climbing up to WI5 to mixed M6. I've loved them for everything except very brittle ice (ice climbing) and the mixed climbing. Upgrading to dual-mono point switchouts, but not positive what kind I'm getting yet. Probably Grivel Rambos.

Most of the crampons mentioned here are good as well. For general mountaineering (Colorado couloirs), I love my G-12's.
. . .Now, after the hours of torment . . . I have nothing more to do than breathe . . .I am nothing more than a single, narrow, gasping lung, floating over the mists and the summits.
-Reinhold Messner

Postby strat1080 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:25 pm

Black Diamond Contact strap-ons have never let me down. They are affordable and compatible with most boots. The strap system is really simple. I like em.
Quit whining and move your %$# up that mountain.

Postby Yog » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:16 pm

Wow, thanks for posting that link Jared! New Rambo 4's have heel spurs :shock: *drool*

Read a review on these crampons having a gap in the toe due to poor fit. I will definitely be taking my boots (La Sportiva K4S) in to fit due to what I've been reading about them and crampon fits. G-12's fit my K4S's just fine.

For any interested
http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/imanf/La+Sportiva/idesc/K4S+%2D+Men%27s/Store/MG/item/103673/N/0

Wilderness Exchange: Denver - Anyone know what happened to this store? I drove by there the other day and the shop was no longer there(at least in old location)...yet I can see the sign on the brick building from I-25. Did they move? They used to be across the street from Paris on the Platte.
. . .Now, after the hours of torment . . . I have nothing more to do than breathe . . .I am nothing more than a single, narrow, gasping lung, floating over the mists and the summits.
-Reinhold Messner

Postby tundraline » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:21 am

Grivel G14s with front strap and heel clip.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:31 pm

Mark Milburn wrote: I will definitely be taking my boots (La Sportiva K4S) in to fit due to what I've been reading about them and crampon fits.

That is pretty good advice no matter what the crampon, I brought my boots into the store when I got my Cyborgs to see how they fit the boot. At the very least if the store has the same boot you can use one of theirs.

Postby austinsnow » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:05 pm

figuring out what you are going to use them for the most is a good start to searching for a good pair of crampons. personally i have the black diamond contact crampons. they are for general mountaineering and have served me well. things i would look for are at least crampons with 10 points, i recommend steel, and how compatible they are with your boots. good luck and have fun!
"It is because they have so much to give and give it so lavishly...that men love the mountains and go back to them again and again."
-Sir Francis Younghusband

Postby tundraline » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:58 am

I switched from Grivel G12 crampons to Grivel G14 crampons so I would have an easier time on waterfall or hard ice and mixed climbing than with the G12s (which are also great crampons, and are purported to have the best anti-bott system). The G14s have two forged fangs for the front points and can also be set up as mono points; otherwise they are almost identical to the G12s. The G14s weigh slightly more than the G12s, but if I had to pick one pair of crampons for ice, glacier travel, mixed climbing and alpine climbing, it would be the G14s. Grivel Rambos are of course great for technical ice, but overkill for just about anything else (not to mention more uncomfortable owing to their more rigid frame).

Postby Ish » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:02 am

Wilderness Exchange is now at the corner of 15th and Platte, right across the intersection for the famous beat gen hangout "My Brothers Bar". Man do I love both of those places...
"Though my problems are meaningless, that don't make them go away..."
- Neil Young -

weight weenie

Postby Jakomait » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:40 am

Grivel AirTech Lites. Aluminum, weighs about half of steel crampons but wears out 4.3 times quicker. they end up in my pack on a lot of 14er trips. Good for moderate climbing but not technical. for that i have a set of BD's but I cant remember what model.
Giver skidoo

Postby Gabriel » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:58 am

I use Grivel airtech. They are alloy and extremely light. I have used them mostly for general snow work, but I also climbed the Grossglockner (Austria) via the Studl Ridge, a rock route in icy conditions without a problem. I thought the alloy might bend, but they did fine. I wouldn't buy metal crampons again, unless I was doing waterfall ice or something with a fairly short aproach.

PreviousNext