Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Crampons...what do you wear?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Crampons...what do you wear?

Postby Mountainman18 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:00 pm

Just trying to get a perspective on what crampons you use, and how you feel about them.

what features do you like? dislike? accessories?

Postby caad4rep » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:06 pm

It all depends on what you are going to do with them. I personally prefer Black Diamond Sabretooths as a general, do it all crampon. Not as good as some for ice climbing and a little heavier than the lightweight aluminum ones but they are capable of doing anything I can throw at them. 12 points, they fit my La Sportiva boots well, durable and fairly light weight. A great all around alpine crampon.

If you are just looking for some lightweight "just in case" crampons, I have heard some good thingsabout some lightweight aluminum crampons. I'm sure others on here have a lot of use with them.

What do you plan on using them for?

Postby Mountainman18 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:12 pm

I'm just seeing what people in the forum use, what they like about certain brands/models and their features.

Postby Slow Moving Fun Seeker » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:32 pm

I won't be going places where I need a full-up technical crampon, so I use the Kahtoolas. They work great, go on over any kind of shoe or boot, and are easy to put on and take off. A bit pricey, but worth it IMO.

http://www.kahtoola.com/kts_aluminum.html
We are not passengers; we are crew.

Postby thebeave7 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:34 pm

Well, as with the above posts it depends on the situation. I own two sets, one for winter mountaineering and ice climbing and one set for spring/summer lightweight stuff. Both are Grivels, G10 strap and G12 new matic. The G10s are lighter, flexible so work with any shoe, but are still steel, so stay sharp and hold well in all snow/ice. The G12s are a bit heavier and more aggressive. I've climbed a bit of vertical ice and they work great, also being new matic they snap into place on mountaineering boots(with toe and heal welt) so are easy to put on with gloves.

I've been very happy with the general build and performance of both Grivel products; nice sharp points, easy to put on, have never broken, and climb well. Just my take on what I use.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Postby Prairie Native » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:17 pm

i use petzl chartlet and i love them. i think that the most important thing though is having good boots that are compatable, learned the hard way :(
Something witty.

Postby cushman » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:39 pm

BD Contacts for spring snow, BD Bionics for WI. I've got LaSportiva Nepal EVOs so all mine are step-ins.
Fourteener? I hardly knew her!
Mark Cushman

Postby WA_native » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:17 pm

Black Diamond Sabertooths all the way. Don't waste time with a strap on crampon, get one with a heel that locks in place. You can get them much tighter on your boots. Tighter crampons means more confidence front pointing and traversing icy slopes.
"How do you distinguish between being off-route and putting up a first ascent?"

Postby USAKeller » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:38 am

I use the BD Sabretooth's with my plastics and AT boots, and the BD Contact Strap crampons with regular boots. I like having the secondary points on the Sabretooth's for added traction in soft, sloshy snow. They also just simply fit better and tighter on boots with toe welts, compared to the Contact Straps where they feel looser on my regular boots. But the Contact Strap is a good versatile crampon I use in the spring when I don't want to overheat in mountaineering/AT boots. I have never been ice climbing so I wouldn't know how either performs on ice. I also don't use the ABS plates with either crampon and have heard mixed things about them.
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby thebeave7 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:05 am

USAKeller wrote:I also don't use the ABS plates with either crampon and have heard mixed things about them.

ABS or antibot systems are nice if the snow is wet or sticky. Out here the snow has such low moisture content(usually) that it doesn't stick too often. In Cali it was a much bigger issue with the stickier snow. How effective the antibot is varies. Grivels work well, BD are alright, Petzels pretty much suck(at least the past few years).

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Postby Chicago Transplant » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:53 am

I have the BD Cyborg w/ ABS. Its more of a technical crampon and may be overkill for most spring routes in Colorado, but I got them so I can use them on glacier routes too. They are also designed for WI, but I don't know how to ice climb (yet). The toe points are vertical and very sharp, they are amazing in hard steep snow, perfect for early morning when its rock hard. They fit really snug on the boots and I have never had any of loose/shifting issues that I used to have with the Contact strap.

Postby Ish » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:10 am

Grivel G12...pure sweetness
"Though my problems are meaningless, that don't make them go away..."
- Neil Young -

Next