Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

water purifiers

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: water purifiers

Postby Tom Reynolds » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:11 pm

See my entry from 12-6. I was probably very lucky but all I did on my trip to Lake Como was to wipe the threads and top of the Nalgene with a dry towel. Or my shirt, whichever was most handy. Okay, it was my shirt most of the time.

This is probably not the best method so I would be interested in hearing more thourough ways of cleaning surface areas that would hold water which might be consumed. My guess is that its not enough waterto worry about. Wet wipes (yeah, baby butt cleaners) might be sterile way to clean the surface. They are lightweight enough to carry in a backpack, too. I ususally have them in my pack for cleaning my hands but didn't even think about using them for wiping down the water bottle.

Postby Holy Schist » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:10 pm

Tom Reynolds wrote:See my entry from 12-6. I was probably very lucky but all I did on my trip to Lake Como was to wipe the threads and top of the Nalgene with a dry towel. Or my shirt, whichever was most handy. Okay, it was my shirt most of the time.

This is probably not the best method so I would be interested in hearing more thourough ways of cleaning surface areas that would hold water which might be consumed. My guess is that its not enough waterto worry about. Wet wipes (yeah, baby butt cleaners) might be sterile way to clean the surface. They are lightweight enough to carry in a backpack, too. I ususally have them in my pack for cleaning my hands but didn't even think about using them for wiping down the water bottle.

I also have used the same technique for about 20 or so nalgene fills this summer, with absolutely no problems for me and my wife.
...And if you go no one may follow,
That path is for your steps alone.
Grateful Dead

I will NOT climb the DECALIBRON again (long time ago),... I promise

Postby strat1080 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:41 pm

I wouldn't be worried about such a marginal amount of water. Just keep your bottles clean, which IMO is much more dangerous than mountain water. Clean and dry them after every trip. If you were treating city runoff then I would be concerned about the water that is on the threads. Contrary to popular belief, mountain water isn't "toxic". In fact if you read what happened in this thread there is a debate about whether it's even necessary to treat mountain water in the first place(with most believing it is) let alone worry about a few drops on the threads of water bottles. If you are going to dry the threads make sure whatever you are drying them with is clean. IMO it isn't necessary. If it was, Steripen or water filter manufacturers would have certainly acknowledged this. If you try to clean the threads you are more likely to contaminate the bottle with a dirty object than whatever water was there. Nearly all cases of intestinal illness in the backcountry stem from poor hygiene.

Tom Reynolds wrote:See my entry from 12-6. I was probably very lucky but all I did on my trip to Lake Como was to wipe the threads and top of the Nalgene with a dry towel. Or my shirt, whichever was most handy. Okay, it was my shirt most of the time.

Quit whining and move your %$# up that mountain.

Previous