Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Big Agnes

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Big Agnes

Postby nomad » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:46 pm

What are the thoughts out there on Big Agnes sleeping bags?, I am looking at the 15 degree range sacks and wanted to get thoughts from those who have used them.

thanks
" The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
Recon 1st inf. Div.

Postby krz2fer » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:28 pm

I haven't used it, but the reason I didn't get one (I have the Big Agnes Insulated Pad, and the slide-in pad system seemed cool) was because of how large they are. I'm a more slender guy and from the reviews it read like too much space meant too much air getting in for a handful of people. Keeping that air zone between your body and the bag fairly close seems to to be the ticket for warmth.

Just an opinion; I'm sure others will follow.
Chris

Postby krz2fer » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:43 pm

Didn't mean to double post.
Chris

Postby Eaglevu » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:37 pm

I have a BA 40' overbag and like it a lot. I use it in the summer by itself or stuff my 0' bag in it for a nice -20' bag. It is light weight in that it has no insulation on the underside. In place of the missing insulation, there is a sleeve to hold a narrow-cut full-length Thermarest pad. Really cool! I mean warm!
-Eaglevu
(Member of the "EVEREST IS TOO D_MN HIGH!" party.)

Eaglevue

Postby nomad » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:42 am

Do you ever find an issue with the missing insulation on the bottom? Comfort good?

thanks
" The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
Recon 1st inf. Div.

Postby Eaglevu » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:21 am

Not with this bag. On 14'er trips, I typically sleep in the back of my truck where I have a full-length 4" foam pad. And, extra blankets if it should get below 40'. I have slept on the ground a few times with my space blanket underneath. Just fine, if it's only for one night. A second pad definitely helps.
-Eaglevu
(Member of the "EVEREST IS TOO D_MN HIGH!" party.)

Postby rleclair » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:01 am

In a related thread to the BA - what is y'alls experience with Mummy bag liners that add 10 to 15 degrees warmth to an existing bag. Worth the money or worthless? I have a Kelty 35 degree bag that sleeps reasonably well to 30 degrees then is a bit chilled below 30. I may be in the market for a 15 degree bag but saw the liners at REI this past weekend. Thanks for the input...
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity; and that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life..."
John Muir

Postby ktimm » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:31 am

I like Big Agnes bags. My family has 3 of them. I'm not a super big guy (6'1 185 lbs) but I find the 25 inch wide ones much more comfortable.

The one drawback i think is that since the pad and bag are together, you can't move the bag as much to conform to you (for instance in a small mummy bag it will move with you and seem bigger than it's real size and you hope you stay on the pad).

I'll carry a couple extra pounds for comfort. I have other places I could loose the weight (my waist being one) and personally, I'll carry more weight with a good nights sleep that a crappy one.

Since the bags aren't flexible really when attached to the pad, if the bag is tight at all it seems a little cold. The 20 inch bag I have seems colder than the 25 inch bag because I move and make it tight.

If I had to do it over again I'd get the 25" wide bag in down.

Re: Big Agnes

Postby boydmc85 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:20 pm

nomad wrote:What are the thoughts out there on Big Agnes sleeping bags?, I am looking at the 15 degree range sacks and wanted to get thoughts from those who have used them.

thanks

Hi Nomad,

I have one of their 3 season sleeping bags that I use most of the year when camping with the scouts. My biggest complaint about this bag is its size. It is really, really bulky. Now I'm a big guy myself but I've used bags that were half the size of this monster. I know that I would not buy it again myself.

Just my 2 cents.

Postby Ken Gross » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:35 pm

I have had my BA bag for 3 seasons now, and I like it. Super comfortable.. you never slide off of your pad. I havent noticed the lack of insulation on the bottom... but I am a warm sleeper.
"Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb discussing what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb willing to contest the majority decision." Benjamin Franklin 1755

Postby krz2fer » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:27 pm

Told you others would follow. :D It's like the hiking books analogy. Everyone is different, and like boots a bag should be a custom fit and feel for your body type. Try your best bet out on a cold night. If it doesn't work, take it back to REI and try again.
Chris

Postby J-RockandRockpile » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:39 pm

I've got a Zero degree BA and I love it, can't use it at all in the summer, way to hot. I've camped on nights where everyone but myself was "freezing" and I was pretty much butt naked in my bag cuz I was to hot. Not having insulation on the bottom can suck, but just by a pad that slides in the back and there is no problem. Majority of my friends switched over to BA's a love em'!

BA's got my vote, worth the money
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good

Next