Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

First pair of snowshoes

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

First pair of snowshoes

Postby Ranedawg » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:06 am

Ok, so I am looking to buy my first pair of snowshoes. What would brand and if possible, specific snowshoe does anyone recommend? I would like to find a snowshhoe I could use both in valleys and going up 14ers that won't break the bank. Is it possible to find a shoe that will help in both situations?

Thanks
Pe@ce
Kevin

Postby Cruiser » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:10 am

Check out this thread for some good discussion on that very subject: http://www.14ers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3348
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby Ranedawg » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:21 am

Thanks
Pe@ce
Kevin

Postby 2_Salukis » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:58 pm

I didn't go thru all 5 pages of the other thread, but on page 1 & 5, I don't think Crescent Moon was mentioned. I've got a pair (for different conditions - trail running - than what you need though).

Things I like: 1) Made in Colorado, 2) Lifetime guarantee, 3) Binding system. They also have a "test drive" program.

I'm sure one of their other models would accommodate your needs. I'd recommend including them in your search.

Postby coloradokevin » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:46 pm

g wrote:I did a lot of reading of past threads here a month or so ago because I was considering getting a pair of snowshoes--it appeared that MS(freaking!)R Evo Denali Ascents were the ones to get. But now I think I'd rather get skis instead. ;)

Julie and I both have the MSR Denali Evo Ascents (had them for maybe four years now?). Overall I like the snowshoe, and it has a great deal of traction at a fairly light weight. My biggest gripe is about the size of the shoe...

Even with tails I don't find that it provides enough floatation when breaking trail with a winter pack in powder (and I'm only 168lbs in my underwear, so I'm not giant here). But, for most trips these snowshoes work great... And trail breaking in powder is a pain regardless of what you are using below your feet!

I've also demo'd a set of the newer MSR Lightning Ascents... I like these, but still have concerns about the size (even the 30-incher is narrower than most of the competition's shoes). The binding is faster on the Lightning too, which is nice.

In the past I've also used Atlas snowshoes, but have never come to completely love them, mostly due to the rubber band thing that holds the binding to the shoe. While I've never heard of any durability issues related to this system, it does tend to spring your tails up and thereby throw snow on the back of your legs/back (at least this was the case with the models a few years back)

Postby summitrunner » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:05 pm

I will throw Crescent Moon into the mix. I sent them in for repair a few weeks ago and about thirty minutes ago I got them back...they are almost brand new! They replaced almost everything on the shoe. I am super stoked. Talus Monkey suggested them to me and I am happy I took his advice. They are made in Boulder so you would be supporting Colorado economy. Light weight, easy to put on, inexpensive, comfortable...can't say enough good things about them.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE