Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Shell?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Postby Up I Go » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:08 am

Seems like the Arc'Teryx stuff is hit or miss as for where it is made. I imagine the high end products are still Canadian made but being a concern of mine, I'd look in to it before purchasing.

I just looked at the price on the Alpha SV, again (600) and my eyes bugged out... so unless I can find it cheaper anywhere else, I doubt I'll get it.

I'll be looking in to the other stuff you guys suggested as well...

Bummer about BD :(

Thanks for the help and for the continued suggestions!

Postby ozone » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:30 am

Check e-bay for the arcteryx stuff. I bought my wife a theta AR for 300. Super nice jacket but might be a little heavy for spring/summer. I bought myself a Millet Aerial max jacket. If you can find the Millet brand they make some really nice stuff. I think it is just as nice as Arcteryx and about the same price. The thing I like the best about Millet is the cut. The jackets are not baggy at all but are cut to allow movement. The aerial max is made with gore-tex pac-lite and would be perfect for what you are looking for. Not as heavy as the other gore-tex so it packs better. Arcteryx also uses pac-lite gore-tex in some of their jackets

Postby CorduroyCalves » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:18 pm

ozone wrote:Check e-bay for the arcteryx stuff. I bought my wife a theta AR for 300. Super nice jacket but might be a little heavy for spring/summer. I bought myself a Millet Aerial max jacket. If you can find the Millet brand they make some really nice stuff. I think it is just as nice as Arcteryx and about the same price. The thing I like the best about Millet is the cut. The jackets are not baggy at all but are cut to allow movement. The aerial max is made with gore-tex pac-lite and would be perfect for what you are looking for. Not as heavy as the other gore-tex so it packs better. Arcteryx also uses pac-lite gore-tex in some of their jackets

That pac-lite is nice. I have a Mtn Hardwear shell that's made with pac-lite and it weighs like 13 oz.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir

Postby Up I Go » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:40 pm

ozone wrote:Check e-bay for the arcteryx stuff. I bought my wife a theta AR for 300. Super nice jacket but might be a little heavy for spring/summer. I bought myself a Millet Aerial max jacket. If you can find the Millet brand they make some really nice stuff. I think it is just as nice as Arcteryx and about the same price. The thing I like the best about Millet is the cut. The jackets are not baggy at all but are cut to allow movement. The aerial max is made with gore-tex pac-lite and would be perfect for what you are looking for. Not as heavy as the other gore-tex so it packs better. Arcteryx also uses pac-lite gore-tex in some of their jackets

Alpha SL? Seems like a lighter version of the SV, it's also paclite- 10 oz i believe also runs about $250. People say it's all weather, but then again, people say a lot of things so...

The Alpha LT seems nice as well.. I will check ebay too. Though, if I'm honest, the idea of shellin out 300 bucks on a jacket that's used bothers me so if i can find it NWT then WOOT!

Postby ozone » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:37 pm

Up I Go wrote:

Alpha SL? Seems like a lighter version of the SV, it's also paclite- 10 oz i believe also runs about $250. People say it's all weather, but then again, people say a lot of things so...

The Alpha LT seems nice as well.. I will check ebay too. Though, if I'm honest, the idea of shellin out 300 bucks on a jacket that's used bothers me so if i can find it NWT then WOOT!

The deal I spoke of on e-bay was brand new. There is a guy selling lots of arcteryx jackets brand new.

Postby Mountainhardwear junkie » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:44 pm

1. Softsells are great, but they are considerably heavier and bulkier than their hardshell counterparts. If I were you, I'd go for a hardshell to maximize versitility.
2. Paclite is, in my opinion, not heavy enough for winter use. I perfer FTX of XCR for a four season shell.
3. Take a look at the Beryllium Jacket by Mountain Hardwear. It won a couple of awards when it came out last year. I've worn mine every month of the year, and it got me through two weeks of solid rain in New Zealand without a problem. I have a couple of other softshells and non-gore tex jackets and the Beryllium is so much more breathable than them its not even funny. At $450 it no bargain, but I think that Arcteryx is a bit overpriced for what your getting. Their flagship coat is over $600 bucks this year! That makes the Beryllium look cheap.

Previous