Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Shell?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Shell?

Postby Up I Go » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:38 pm

I'm looking for a solid outer shell.

Soft shell?

Gore-tex? (i'm prone to gore-tex due to that fact it's 100% waterproof, I understand that comes at the cost of ventilation... I don't mind)

Brand?

I've been looking at a lot of the Arc'Teryx stuff. It's pricey but I've also not seen a bad word on it. Is it worth the money?

14ers are my goal. I'm currently in AZ near the Tucson area. I'm looking to head to Colorado within the next year or so and I'm just trying to find a shell that's solid here in AZ for winter nights around 9,000ft but will also hold up for higher elevations/snow as well as spring time in CO.

I don't mind dishing out the cash if it's worth it but with so many choices (and I've tried A LOT on), I just can't make up my mind.

Any thoughts on the how to make the decision? Thanks!
Last edited by Up I Go on Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby strat1080 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:49 pm

The type of gear you buy depends on the type of climbing you are engaged in. Winter climbing gear requirements are different than those for summer. For summer, a windshirt is my main shell and I bring lightweight raingear as a backup. In winter a hardshell is king as it stops brutally cold wind gusts. Most here seem to like the Marmot Precip as a rainjacket. It runs about $90 or so if its not on sale. Look around and you can usually find it for less.

I find that wind-shirts are much much more versatile than rain jackets. They typically weight 1/4 of a pound or less and pack down to the size of a fist. They fight moderate wind and light precipitation and are much more breathable than rain parkas. Combine this with extremely lightweight raingear and you have all bases covered for climbing in the warmer months. In the summer all you need is light insulation and protection from the wind and rain. Major rainstorms can be avoided by preparation and weather forecasts. In other words don't purposely climb in bad weather.
Quit whining and move your %$# up that mountain.

Re: Shell?

Postby Up I Go » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:20 pm

robinmtns wrote:
Sorry, you got that backwards. The beauty of Goretex over typical waterproof fabrics is that it DOES breathe very well, comparatively. This is extremely important. Better breathing, the drier you will stay because more of your perspiration will get out.[/quote]

My understanding is that Soft Shells breathe better, but all the more power to gore-tex. I was meaning more in that respect, Gore-tex vs Soft Shell. While soft shells breathe better, they aren't 100% water proof.

Summer time in AZ calls for some serious monsoon nonsense. They jump randomly around here and when they do, they happen quick. Precip is nice, but for colder stuff I should be heading towards hardshell, if I'm understanding correctly.

Cool...

Anyone like to suggest a particular brand or specific shell?

I'm tall and thin, pretty lanky too 6'2" 165lbs.
Last edited by Up I Go on Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Up I Go » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:33 pm

[/quote] Yeah, they do.... I thought your original statement referred to Gortex, being bomber waterproof, didn't breathe as well compared to other waterproof fabrics; didn't realize you were comparing to softshell.[/quote]

My mistake :-D Thanks for the response

Postby Holy Schist » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:12 am

I have the GoLite Paradigm Jacket. It is is a 100% waterproof and windproof Soft Shell jacket, fully breathable with zipping pit vents and drawstrings for hood and waist and velcro on the cuffs. It is the best shell I have owned. I have worn it on cold and snowy days, stayed warm, (I did buy it as a summer rain jacket plus a little more) and finally it is listed for winter uses.

http://golite.com/product/productdetail.aspx?p=AW3737

Postby CorduroyCalves » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:30 am

Holy Schist wrote:I have the GoLite Paradigm Jacket. It is is a 100% waterproof and windproof Soft Shell jacket, fully breathable with zipping pit vents and drawstrings for hood and waist and velcro on the cuffs. It is the best shell I have owned. I have worn it on cold and snowy days, stayed warm, (I did buy it as a summer rain jacket plus a little more) and finally it is listed for winter uses.

http://golite.com/product/productdetail.aspx?p=AW3737

Sounds like a jacket I'd like to have! Though too bad an unhooded version isn't available. Unless it's a hardshell, I'm not an overall fan of hoods.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir

Postby strat1080 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:53 pm

Up I Go wrote:
robinmtns wrote:

Summer time in AZ calls for some serious monsoon nonsense. They jump randomly around here and when they do, they happen quick. Precip is nice, but for colder stuff I should be heading towards hardshell, if I'm understanding correctly.

Cool...

Anyone like to suggest a particular brand or specific shell?

I'm tall and thin, pretty lanky too 6'2" 165lbs.

Precip is exactly the same as Gore-Tex except that it doesn't breathe as well. It is a hardshell and waterproof. If you all you want is rain protection for storms then Precip is fine. If you plan on doing lots of climbing with the hardshell on while active (for blocking cold wind mostly) then the Gore-Tex stuff is better. Either of these choices will get you through a storm. You just won't sweat as much(you will sweat though) with the higher quality Gore-Tex while active. If you are standing around in a storm none of this means very much.
Quit whining and move your %$# up that mountain.

Postby pvandam » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:30 pm

i am huge fan of arcteryx-although there stuff is expensive its made in canada unlike tnf in thailand. ive had an alpha sv jacket for 10 years and done every outdoor activity i can think of in it(it even works as a motorcycle weatherproof shell) and it only has a couple of little scars and general scuffing to show. ive been extrememly impressed by its performance- and i have to agree that goretex is great stuff- thats my two cents
ps- their new stuff is amazing from what ive seen-alpha lt all the way

Postby Up I Go » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:57 pm

pvandam wrote:i am huge fan of arcteryx-although there stuff is expensive its made in canada unlike tnf in thailand. ive had an alpha sv jacket for 10 years and done every outdoor activity i can think of in it(it even works as a motorcycle weatherproof shell) and it only has a couple of little scars and general scuffing to show. ive been extrememly impressed by its performance- and i have to agree that goretex is great stuff- thats my two cents

Yeah, the Alpha SV's the one I was looking in to. I was just having a hard time swallowing the price tag without being absolutely sure

Postby Prairie Native » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:32 pm

just ordered the Alpha LT, tough 500 to drop but ill let you know if i kept it or not. no where around here to try it on so hopefully it fits right.....
Something witty.

Postby CorduroyCalves » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:20 am

pvandam wrote:i am huge fan of arcteryx-although there stuff is expensive its made in canada unlike tnf in thailand. ive had an alpha sv jacket for 10 years and done every outdoor activity i can think of in it(it even works as a motorcycle weatherproof shell) and it only has a couple of little scars and general scuffing to show. ive been extrememly impressed by its performance- and i have to agree that goretex is great stuff- thats my two cents

Actually, that's recently changed. Most of their production is now in China.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir

Postby Ken Gross » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:31 am

Jared Workman wrote:BD is shifting its C4 is shifting its C4 camalot production to China and I can't imagine they are cutting corners on standards because that would end their cam dominance.

Wow, hopefully they dont use lead based anodizing!!
"Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb discussing what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb willing to contest the majority decision." Benjamin Franklin 1755

Next